Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which race category and do you train on a road bike?

• Beginner racer. No road training for me!

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Beginner racer and I train on the road as well.

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Sport racer. No road bikes.

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Sport racer with road training.

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • Expert racer. Shaved legs are not my thing.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Expert racer with a roadie alter ego.

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • I am the only semi pro/ pro racer who doesn't road train, honest!

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Semi pro/ pro, and of course I train on the road like all the rest.

Votes: 1 2.1%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
luckiest of the unlucky
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's time to buy a road bike. I'm moving house and my commutes are becoming substantially longer, and a 6 speed 49cm trek from the 80's isn't cutting it for me at 5'11" anymore. I'm really quite looking forward to getting one as it should ramp up my training for mtb considerably. I'd also like to to a tad bit of road racing as I did a crit recently and thought it was pretty exciting, even if I did get hammered.
I figured I'd take this opportunity to start a poll as well. So vote and share your comments. Won't touch road biking? Train on them but hate it? Race road as well? I'd like to hear it.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'm piling on more road miles than ever this year, and I can totally feel the results. My road climbing is now unbelievable compared to last year. I'm spinning up 3 gears higher than I was last year and feeling really good doing it. My next XC race isn't for a month and a half, but I'm cautiously optimistic that the road riding I've been doing, and will continue to do, will have huge benefits.

·
Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
2,419 Posts
I race Expert Single Speed and my best races have been after a decent road ride. I believe it does indeed help. It doesnt help me much in the strenght department and my heart rate barely moves on the road bike but it REALLY helps with my endurance. I have a race next weekend so i am planning on a few good road rides throughout the week. Make sure you put the time in on the saddle or it wont help, IMHO. You need to ride for longer than your race is timewise. If your races are usually 2 hours then train for 3.
BTW, i'm deffinately not a roadie. I've had my road bike since march and i have maybe 4 rides on it. Sad, huh? I go out in baggies, mtb shoes, and a helmet with a visor. I also bunny hop curbs and speed bumps heehee

·
Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
2,419 Posts
i just did a road ride and it reminded me why i only use the road bike for training purposes. IT SUCKS!! soooooo boring!!! Hell of a burn though. I wouldnt get this burn in my legs from doing a 6 hour trail ride, and i only spent 3 hours on the road. 2 things that i am going to get: a small mirror to mount to my helmet and an mp3 player. The mirror because i get too paranoid about cars, expecially if i cant hear well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.