Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
RambleSS
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the post title says, my current wheelset, a old Bontrager Race with 17mm internal width rims (yikes!) is about done and I need something new. They're pretty heavy for their size too. I am doing longer and longer rides lately with more climbing. Typically 30-50 miles with up to 8 to 10k feet elevation gain. Want to start doing 100 milers and 12/24 hr solo stuff. Terrain can be loose, sandy, or chunky, 2.4 tires are a minimum for me.

I currently run High Roller 2.3 in front and Ardent 2.4 in back. Obviously, those skinny rims don't allow the tyres to fill out to their max capacity, but that combo has still been great for me for years.

I am wanting something 25mm-30mm wide to allow those tires to really reach their potential and even run a 2.6 Rekon in front (im on a rigid SS so the cushier the better...) Problem is, the wheelsets of those specs which I can afford are heavy. For example, Stans Flow S1, WTB STP I29 from Velomine, etc all push above 2100 grams for the set.

On the other hand, I could get some used Stans Crests and lose a pound or two. More efficient for the big elevation gain rides. But... old Crests are still 19mm wide i think. Not much of an improvement in the cush and traction department.

So, TLDR, wider wheels or lighter wheels. If you could only choose one, what would it be and why?
Thanks in advance,
Carl

·
Registered
906 Posts
Wider. My SS has Velocity P35s (now the Blunt 35) with 30 mm internal width. I consider i30 to be about right for 2.4-2.8" tires. They have held up great for 10 years, but are portly for their width (590g in 29er).

what's your budget?
Speedgearbike and colorado cyclist have handbuilt Stan's Flows (i29) or Sentry (i32) for <$400 with XT hubs. Weight is probably ~2kg.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,786 Posts
Go Wide! There's lots of great rims out there at a reasonable weight and price. Stans, Raceface, WTB KOM, Sun Single, etc.

How much do you weigh? What's the budget? What's your hub spacing?

Narrow rims suck. You don't need to go super wide, really anything is going to be a huge improvement over what your on now. You're going to be amazed and how much more volume is added to your tire compared to your current rims. The ride will also be much more comfortable, you'll have more grip, you will be able to run much lower pressures, etc. Go wide!

If you buy a wheelset with butted spokes and decent aluminum rims you're in good shape. A lot of the additional weight of the lower priced wheelsets is in the hubs which is less of a factor.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
First up, friends don't let friends ride Crest, heck you don't even let your enemies ride them, they're just too noodly for anyone not <100lbs.

As for wide or light, no matter what you do, go at least for something in the i30 range if you're on a rigid and looking at some higher volume tyres, get as light a set as you can afford, but don't skimp on the width. While weight does kind of suck, a narrow rim that makes you run higher pressures and which in turn makes your ride harsher, with less grip, is much less fun than turning over a few more grams.

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
Rigid SS? for for 35mm ID wheels and run 29 2.6 or 29x3.0. You are already running a heavy front tire. I run 29x2.6 using XR2 front and rear. These are a bit slower than 29x2.35 Ikon/XR2 combo on 21mm wide Crests. The crests are 400 grams lighter than my ARC35 rims laced to the same stans hubs. However despite being heavier they not noticeably slower in most terrain. However the suspension effect I get from 2.6 is nice as well as traction. I still will race on the Crest and 2.3 because I have them, but if I were to have one set it would probably be something 27 to 30mm wide so can run either 2.3 or 2.6. But it nice to have 2 sets of wheels/rotors and cog so I can swap wheels in 5 minutes. 2.6 for more chunk or lose trails or 2.3 with 1 tooth smaller cog for faster more hardpack trails or races.

·
RambleSS
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies so far! I'm persuaded to go wide! I'll keep up the search for a decent used wheelset with butted spokes.
How much do you weigh? What's the budget? What's your hub spacing?
I'm around 185lbs kitted up, budget is ~350, and my hub spacing is currently 100/135 QR (frame is an old Trek/Fisher Rig), but I'd definitely going with through axles for my next frame so that's a hangup too. Gotta find a hub that is convertible I guess. I am so behind the times as to how that all works...

Kindof playing with the idea of building up a wheelset alacarte though, enabling me to pick butted spokes, lace a i35 front rim to a cheapish front hub. Then get a slightly narrower rear rim laced to a decent rear hub with good POE. I have no qualms about building up my own wheels.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Check out bicyclewheelwarehouse.com

They have coupons and ship for free. Looks like DT Swiss 350 (endcaps galore) built with Flows will run you $520 shipped. They build really nice wheels!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Just like the post title says, my current wheelset, a old Bontrager Race with 17mm internal width rims (yikes!) is about done and I need something new. They're pretty heavy for their size too. I am doing longer and longer rides lately with more climbing. Typically 30-50 miles with up to 8 to 10k feet elevation gain. Want to start doing 100 milers and 12/24 hr solo stuff. Terrain can be loose, sandy, or chunky, 2.4 tires are a minimum for me.

I currently run High Roller 2.3 in front and Ardent 2.4 in back. Obviously, those skinny rims don't allow the tyres to fill out to their max capacity, but that combo has still been great for me for years.

I am wanting something 25mm-30mm wide to allow those tires to really reach their potential and even run a 2.6 Rekon in front (im on a rigid SS so the cushier the better...) Problem is, the wheelsets of those specs which I can afford are heavy. For example, Stans Flow S1, WTB STP I29 from Velomine, etc all push above 2100 grams for the set.

On the other hand, I could get some used Stans Crests and lose a pound or two. More efficient for the big elevation gain rides. But... old Crests are still 19mm wide i think. Not much of an improvement in the cush and traction department.

So, TLDR, wider wheels or lighter wheels. If you could only choose one, what would it be and why?
Thanks in advance,
Carl
Hey Carl! Haven't crossed paths in a while, but I have been on the same set of DT 350/Stan's Flow mk3 I got from colorado cyclist back in... 16 I think every time we have. They typically have a 10% off sale, I think it was around $500 with DT comp spokes. I don't know the weight... but they seem light enough and have given me zero issues. Seal up great with Maxxis tires as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.