Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is 14 and has been riding a 13.5" frame bike for 3 years but now at 5'6" tall, he's outgrown it.

His current bike has some decent components (Fox F100, XT bits, lightweight wheelset, etc.) so we want to transfer parts to a new frame instead of buying a complete bike. These are some of the frames I looked at.

Nashbar
Nashbar 26" Mountain Bike Frame - Mountain Bike Frames

Performance Bicycle
Mountain Bike Frames: Carbon & Suspension MTB Frames

Does anyone have experience with these frames? What are other affordable 26" XC type frames? The budget is up to $200. Are there good reasons to spend a bit more and get frames in $300-400 range? He rides a 2-3 times a week between spring and fall mostly on single tracks with lots of climbing. Thanks.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
Check out OnOne, they are pretty good and somewhat starting somewhere in your price range. The geometry is more aggressive for trail riding which could be a welcome change compare to the XC geometry. Unless your son is planing to do racing, I think he would like the geometry a lot.

Edit: sorry here's the link
26er

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Scandal frame looks really good even though it's a bit over my original budget. I never knew OnOne had aluminum frames. I always wanted the Inbred for myself, but wouldn't consider it for a bike build for a 14 year old boy. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE: I decided to buy the Scandal but the frames were out of stock. I emailed X Planet USA and in their reply I was told the Scandal has been discontinued.

Back the drawing board. I welcome suggestions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts