Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put about 900 miles on a Real cassette last year. It was never the snappiest shifting cassette, but it always ran fairly smoothly. I just replaced my KMZ chain with a SRAM PC-99 hollow pin, now the middle of my cassette skips. I used mostly the middle of my cassette commuting the three middle cogs saw the most use, now thats where it skips. I think it's time for a new cassette.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
liatdraH said:
I put about 900 miles on a Real cassette last year. It was never the snappiest shifting cassette, but it always ran fairly smoothly. I just replaced my KMZ chain with a SRAM PC-99 hollow pin, now the middle of my cassette skips. I used mostly the middle of my cassette commuting the three middle cogs saw the most use, now thats where it skips. I think it's time for a new cassette.
Well I can't say as 900 miles is a lot, especially commuting. If so I had better look at replacing my SRAM PG950 -11-34T cassette that came w/ my bike as I just hit 900 miles on it doing mostly serious road and off road cranking. I use the middle gears quite a bit in both middle and big ring. You can get the PG990 cassette's for around $35 and you can pick up the PG970 for around $25 - check Jenson..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
yep, it's time for a new cassette, you need to change your chain more frequently to avoid this problem
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Jm. said:
yep, it's time for a new cassette, you need to change your chain more frequently to avoid this problem
SO Jm how often should you change your chain? I know you should at least chainged it when and if you change your cassette or chainrings, but other than that how can you tell? there's sposed to be a way to measure the stretch of the chain right?

Sorry for the sarcasticish type post, jist was buy a better cassette this time around.
 

·
just along for the ride
Joined
·
3,033 Posts
Chains last 500-800m for me depending on the season, I would suggest if you want to spend less time on your drivetrain to go steel, LX cassette with deore cranks last about 3 times longer than the sram cassettes and LX+ cranks. The penalty is weight but what's a couple ounces unless you ar racing.
 

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
Joined
·
4,749 Posts
Chain Stretch

You should change the chain when 12 links measure 12 1/8"

Usually with proper chain replacement you can get 3-4 chains in before you have to change your cassette or chainrings. I use 2 chains at the same time and swap between them every 500 miles or so. This way everything is more in sync wear wise.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
Shayne said:
You should change the chain when 12 links measure 12 1/8"

Usually with proper chain replacement you can get 3-4 chains in before you have to change your cassette or chainrings. I use 2 chains at the same time and swap between them every 500 miles or so. This way everything is more in sync wear wise.
i disagree, at 12 1/8th you've usually already ruined the cassette. Change it between 1/32 and 1/16th as a max value.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Thanks for all the replies here from all. So going by the 500-800 miles changing the chain I will be replacing my chain every 2 months or less - April I did 420+ miles. Guess I better try to find a good chain and buy a few then. Any recomendations for a good chain? I'll think about which cassette I'm gona upgrade to in a couple months.

What sort of milage should you get out of a cassette, should I be looking at a new cassettte once a year or more frequently with my average 400 miles a month riding?

edit Just measured my chain and for 12 links got 11 7/8", what's the normal measurement for a new / non-stretched chain?
 

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
Joined
·
4,749 Posts
Shouldn't 12 links be 12" new ?

As far as mileage for parts goes it can vary a lot depending on conditions such as mud/sand/water, how well you shift (ie no shifting under load), and how tolerant you are to occasional skipping and such.

Most of my cassettes last me several years (but I can only ride maybe 8 months) and I haven't thrown out a chain mid-season for a while. And in 15 yrs of riding I've only replaced 1 chainring because it was worn out.

Real cassettes are notorious for shifting problems as are most aftermarket aluminum and titanium cogsets.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top