Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Do you think it's time for a new 29er FS ShootOut?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's going on 4.5 years now since the last one and this segment has changed significantly, enough so, that I think it's time for MTBR to hit up the manufacturers once again and do a shootout. Just so maybe the MTBR bosses can see who's interested I'm throwing up this poll.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You haven't even started to scratch the surface with that list, that's only the XC stuff, I was thinking more along the lines of the more AM/5"+ travel bikes now also available. I'd have to add just off the top of my head.........Lenz (they have 3 or 4 now), Intense, Rocky Mountain, Salsa, Norco, Trek GF, Turner, Titus, Banshee (if it's ready in time). I'm sure there's a good few more I'm forgetting, but the format they used for the original shootout where they let a load of different "non pro" riders test the bikes and give their feedback was and is very buseful for the Avg Joe.

@dam said:
YES.
A good lineup to start with would be...

Epic
Tallboy
RIP9 or JET9
Anthem

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
Don't want to compare apples and oranges. That'd make a great 2nd shootout (and the RIP9 would probably fit better in that group), but I think the bikes I mentioned are the most talked about FS 29ers at the moment. Spearfish might be a good addition as a more high-value entry.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seriously? :???: You think that there's more interest in the same old, same old XC bikes as compared to the newer, slacker, more do everything 5"+ ones that are here and coming? :skep:
@dam said:
Don't want to compare apples and oranges. That'd make a great 2nd shootout (and the RIP9 would probably fit better in that group), but I think the bikes I mentioned are the most talked about FS 29ers at the moment. Spearfish might be a good addition as a more high-value entry.

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
At the moment...yes. Don't get me wrong- I'd like to see what the burlier 29ers are like, too. I just see more interest in the bikes I mentioned. Perhaps it's our own biases and when we scan the forums we just filter out all but what we're interested in :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
With the FS 29er bikes out in the last few years I think the segment is splitting into XC/Race and trail bikes, to lump the two groups into one shootout may not make sense. Just a thought.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
LyNx said:
Seriously? :???: You think that there's more interest in the same old, same old XC bikes as compared to the newer, slacker, more do everything 5"+ ones that are here and coming? :skep:
Heck, yes, it's time for a new FS Shootout. Are 1/2 those bikes in the original FS Shootout even made - or in the same form/design they were for that shootout?

Shootout should include...

WFO
RIP 9 (newest design and angles)
JET 9 (newest design)
Canzo
Spearfish
Rocky Mountain Altitude
Anthem X 29
Epic S-Works Carbon 29 (Epic Expert,Epic Comp)
Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29 (FSR Comp)
Stumpjumper FST M5 29er frame
Kona Hei-Hei 29
Gary Fisher Superfly 100, HiFi and Rumblefish
Ventana El Capitan
Santa Cruz Tallboy
Moots Mooto XZ
Pivot Mach 429
GT Sensor 29er Expert
Ellsworth Evolve and Evolution
Turner Sultan
Intense Tracer 29 (and the new Spyder 2)
Norco Shinobi
Lenz - Leviathans, Milkmoney, Behemoth, Lunchbox

and on and on.... (and to the list for any I couldn't think of off the top of my head).

Could make for quite a project that is beyond the scope of organizing if you read how difficult it was to set up the original FS Shootout with such few bikes. It will probably have to be a combined piecemeal shootout with the periodicals and websites/blogs handling their individual reviews and some sort of a masterlink to all of these different reviews.

BB

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
All good choices, but far too broad. If MTBR wants to do this, maybe they should do a poll and give everyone one vote. I don't see comparing a Spearfish and JET9 too a FSR or other 5+ inch bike as that sensible though.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the idea to split it into XC/4"< and Trail/AM4"> bikes would be a good way to break it down. Guess maybe I should have also asked which type of bikes people were looking at.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
LyNx said:
I think the idea to split it into XC/4"< and Trail/AM4"> bikes would be a good way to break it down. Guess maybe I should have also asked which type of bikes people were looking at.
Even if you divided it up into 3", 4", 5" and 5"+ - you'd have a few that fall between, but at least categories would have more likewise comparisons. Or how about 22 - 24 lbs, 25 - 27 lbs, 28 - 30 lbs, and 30 lbs + categories. ;)

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Weight categories definitely wouldn't work, you of all people should know that ;) I mean you yourself built you rip9 to what 25lbs and change, while most others would build it to around 29-32lbs. I think travel amount is the only real way to go, rear tavel that is.

BruceBrown said:
Even if you divided it up into 3", 4", 5" and 5"+ - you'd have a few that fall between, but at least categories would have more likewise comparisons. Or how about 22 - 24 lbs, 25 - 27 lbs, 28 - 30 lbs, and 30 lbs + categories. ;)

·
Registered
276 Posts
LyNx is right. Rear travel is the most logical way to define the categories. Otherwise, we will be comparing apples to oranges.

Also, the bikes should use the same level of components or the categories need to be further subdivided into a cheap, medium, and expensive categories.

All the XC bikes should use same XC tire and longer travel bikes should use the same AM tire. Even if people don't love the tire choice for the shootout at least it will take a variable out to the equation.

However MTBR decides to conduct the shootout they better bring their A game. A broad brush, generic overview of 10-20 bikes is a waste of time.

Don't forget to include a bunch of pictures, too. :thumbsup:

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
I think it should be done annually for sure!

As new products are released, changes have been made, or even time gives a little bit better indication of performance and durability. Some manufactures introduce new products yearly, but others do not, and make updates when they are needed such as Santa Cruz and Pivot. Having an annual review would help reevaluate the products.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can't agree, name me more than 2 FS designs under $1k (not being blown out because they're obsolete, normal MSRP) and I'll agree. I can only think of one that's offered as a frame only option in the form of a Voodoo Canzo and then if by chance, Salsa decides to sell the Spearfish as frame only it could, maybe be under $1k with the current MSRP of the complete bike.

Loll said:
Thats a great list, but how about a sub category call $1000 and under?

Not all of us can afford tallboys and superfly...:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.