Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past 15 yrs, all I’ve ridden are steel single speeds. Time to change it up a bit. (Note: I will still keep the steelies).

I’m looking for a SS that I can race, ride mostly XC stuff on. Must have at least 2.2” clearance out back. 69deg HTA preferable. BSA also preferable. Along with swing or sliding dropouts.

The only bike that checks most of these boxes is Pivot Les. It’s also a plus that it fits 27.5+ as well. I just hate that it has PF92.

Any others I should consider?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Pivot Les is definitely a great or best right choice, if you can pony up the $$$$$$$$. Watchout for the Giant XTC I have seen alot of them broken on social media.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
For the past 15 yrs, all I've ridden are steel single speeds. Time to change it up a bit. (Note: I will still keep the steelies).

I'm looking for a SS that I can race, ride mostly XC stuff on. Must have at least 2.2" clearance out back. 69deg HTA preferable. BSA also preferable. Along with swing or sliding dropouts.

The only bike that checks most of these boxes is Pivot Les. It's also a plus that it fits 27.5+ as well. I just hate that it has PF92.

I absolutely love my LES SS. If you haven't looked already, I've got a thread on it in the Pivot forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
For the past 15 yrs, all I've ridden are steel single speeds. Time to change it up a bit. (Note: I will still keep the steelies).

I'm looking for a SS that I can race, ride mostly XC stuff on. Must have at least 2.2" clearance out back. 69deg HTA preferable. BSA also preferable. Along with swing or sliding dropouts.

The only bike that checks most of these boxes is Pivot Les. It's also a plus that it fits 27.5+ as well. I just hate that it has PF92.

The PF92 on the Pivots are just fine.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
you COULD do a carbon stache... the dropouts work well although it is kinda finicky during the initial "chain stretch" to unbolt all the stuff and adjust them; a little tedious, but as with anything you figure it out. I was adjusting my dropouts every ride or two for a few weeks but that has stopped. also i had some weird popping noises when i started with the new setup (gremlins?) but all that seemingly has passed, good now and it rides just like a good singlespeed should; actually better because it is SO FRICKIN LIGHT AND COMFY compared to any old metal frames i ever rode. that said; i still think a diamond frame would be better if you know you never want a fatter back tire. i can't pin it down; but something about the elevated stay does not make me 100% confident in the rear end even though it rides great and i have no plans to change a thing... if you could find a good deal on a gently used one like i did; it is a sweet ride and there seem to be plenty out there.

EDIT:
i changed my mind:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/stumpjumper-carbon-29-singlespeed/p/51948
never saw that before or heard it mentioned here...

·
Registered
906 Posts
^ The HA on that specialized is 71.5 degrees:eekster:

Stock fork is 480 mm A-C, so you could get a Trek 1120 carbon fork @ 510 mm and slack it out to ~70... of course then your seat tube angle is 72...

I would get the Chameleon for ~2.4" 29er tires. Frame only it's $500 less than the Pivot, has more tire clearance and better geometry (IMO).

If you want 29+, carbon Stache is a good suggestion, especially for a lighter rider. A shame it's not totally bulletproof for everyone in SS mode. I plan to try my alloy Stache SS at some point but the stories of popping and skipping concern me.

·
Registered
427 Posts
EDIT:
i changed my mind:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/stumpjumper-carbon-29-singlespeed/p/51948
never saw that before or heard it mentioned here...
Those were only made for a year or two around 2011/2012 and they're super-rare on the used market. Cool if you can get your hands on one and don't mind the old-school XC geometry, but it would never be my first recommendation. However, the new Epic HT has a PF30 BB, so you can make it a singlespeed with an eccentric. A friend of mine has one set up that way, and it weighs nothing.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
I see them around 1.2k locally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Sounds about right. I purchased a very lightly used 2017 LES frame (the latest gen) in Dec., which was listed on Pinkbike for about that. I paid less than that. Used this for my SS build, to go along with the exact same frame I already had on my geared hardtail (my training bike).

·
Registered
507 Posts
There is the Niner Air 9 as well. With a 120mm fork you have the headtube angle you're looking for. It doesn't have sliding or swinging rear dropouts though.

A friend just did the Whiskey Off Road 50 on a demo aluminum Trek Stache with 29+ wheels and tires. He finished well and had a good time on the bike. No mechanical issues. He did mention that the bike didn't accelerate as well as his 29er but that is to be expected I guess. Also with a more trail geometry he mentioned there was more weight on his butt than he was used to.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Sounds about right. I purchased a very lightly used 2017 LES frame (the latest gen) in Dec., which was listed on Pinkbike for about that. I paid less than that. Used this for my SS build, to go along with the exact same frame I already had on my geared hardtail (my training bike).

I would love to have the exact same frame for training and racing. I have to get use to each bike. First world problems, but training in the exact same position would have its benefits. We are getting off topic but i gotta give kudos for that much attention to detail.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
I would love to have the exact same frame for training and racing. I have to get use to each bike. First world problems, but training in the exact same position would have its benefits. We are getting off topic but i gotta give kudos for that much attention to detail.

It's huge, and I'm fortunate to be able to do it. I bought my first 2017 LES (geared) lightly used off of Stevebay a year ago, from a local. Loved it so much, I decided to build up a SS on the same frame, after years of riding, and loving, titanium SS's. Found the exact same 2017 frame on Pinkbike and got a fantastic deal, then built it up very specifically as my SS race bike.

I would not have been able to do this with new bikes/frames, and scoured Pinkbike, Stevebay, etc. for the right used bike/frame. There are not many, but they do come up. Just have to search carefully and look every day.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.