Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This seems to come up from time to time as an issue, but I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't involve me having to replace pedals constantly, under warranty or not.

I am a big fan of Time ATAC pedals, and use them for mountain biking, gravel and cyclocross. However, three pairs in a row have now broken within weeks of installing them, in exactly the same way.

It's always the right-side pedal, and the spring in the front works itself loose, or bends, or, in one case, came completely out, with the retaining pin breaking through the carbon.

I have tried pushing the retaining pins back in, but once they've slipped once, the won't seem to stay back in place.

I am an experienced and not particularly agressive rider. It's happening on both my cross bike and my mountain bike in the same way, and they are ridden of different terrain, obviously. If you look at the picture below it's clear which one is the MTB pedal and which one is used for CX.

This is very frustrating (and expensive) although I love the pedals, especially for cross where I am fairly competive. So far one hasn't broken during a race, but that would really suck.

So, I'm guessing it has something to do with the alignment of my right foot, which naturally falls heel-in (like a duck, but not that extreme!). Somehow it's putting too much pressure on the forward spring. I've experimented with angling the cleat position on the shoe as much as I can (which is not much) but that just makes it too difficult to clip in cleanly, which is a deal-breaker for CX.

So now, I've just installed a new set of pedals, and installed new cleats, but this time have set them up with the 17-degree float position (left and right reversed) to see whether that makes a difference. Maybe the extra float will make a difference. I also moved the cleat position slightly forward (about 1mm). I'm also wondering whether increasing the release tension (I've always left them at the default position) would make any difference.

Does anyone else have this experience? I get it that pedals and cleats wear out, but this is a bit ridiculous. I don't want to switch pedal brands. I've tried most (SPD, Eggbeaters etc. over the years and the Times just work best for me, in terms of mud shedding, clipping in and out, and float to protect my aging knees.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Maybe try something other than the carbon body. Mine (non carbon) have always been pretty bombproof. In 25+ years, I've only bought 3 sets of Times, and mostly just b/c they looked so beat up, not b/c they quit working. Currently using the Special 8 on my trail bike, and like them better than the attacks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I still have a pair of the budget aluminum ones from almost 20 years ago. I agree that it's worth trying the different cleat position.

·
Mr.Secret
641 Posts
I used to have this same problem with those pedals but switched to the mx version. The pins would always slip out so I would put them back in with loctite and that would hold for a long time. Good luck!
What flavor loctite ?

Thanks !

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
Solution - find some circa 2005ish. I have about 6 pair. I bought a bearing replacement kit about 10 years ago for my go to Carbon ATACs. I haven't had to open it.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I’ve got two pairs of the xc8. One had the pin come loose but I realise it was due to an impact as the jaw was broken. I replaced it and applied a drop of blue Loctite to the pin and it’s stayed in place. Your problem appears to be impact damage. The forward jaw does not see a forward or extreme upward load that can rip the retaining pin out. When you’re clipped that jaw is at the back so when pedalling through rock gardens it’s the jaw that takes an impact since it’s protected by the plastic shroud. So it’s highly likely the damage is due to rock strike while pedalling through rock garden or hooking on hard roots. In terms of toughness the Shimano spd range is unbeatable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got two pairs of the xc8. One had the pin come loose but I realise it was due to an impact as the jaw was broken. I replaced it and applied a drop of blue Loctite to the pin and it's stayed in place. Your problem appears to be impact damage. The forward jaw does not see a forward or extreme upward load that can rip the retaining pin out. When you're clipped that jaw is at the back so when pedalling through rock gardens it's the jaw that takes an impact since it's protected by the plastic shroud. So it's highly likely the damage is due to rock strike while pedalling through rock garden or hooking on hard roots. In terms of toughness the Shimano spd range is unbeatable.
That makes a lot of sense to me, because it's not like I'm some superstar putting out 200nm of torque while pulling up on the pedal! However, it's always been just the right side pedal, and I'm way more likely to strike my left pedal for some reason (at least when I notice it). And that is also happening on my CX bike - where I rarely strike the pedal at all. I've tried emailing Time/SRAM about this but haven't had any reply, unfortunately. I guess I'll try to be more careful! ?

·
CEO Product Failure
2,403 Posts
If the pedals are failing because of rock strikes, consider either the Especial 12's or 8' for replacements. They are very durable and the closest to a late '90's TIME pedal (which I still have 2 sets in use). I have the 12's on my primary mtb and the 8's on my gravel bike.

·
Registered
536 Posts
i've been on time pedals for over two decades now and i'm a big fan. however, a couple of season's ago i mounted up a pair of speciale eights and was very disappointed with them. they only lasted a season before they were so beat up that i got a new pair of -- time mx6 'budget' pedals, which i love. the mx series has the same round bar spring design as my old beloved atacs. the speciale 8s have the newer square cross section spring with a separate piece that retains the cleats like your pedals and all other xc series pedals. this design imo is inferior to the older design of the atac/mx series. the composite cage of the mx seems to hold up better to rock strikes than the aluminum body of the speciale 8 as well. i highly recommend the mx series due to the more robust design of the round spring/cleat retainer but do not recommend the xc/speciale series pedals due to the more fragile square section springs and retainer on those pedals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts