Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After looking around on the web I didn't find much in terms of how to rebuild Time ATAC pedals. I decided to take mine apart and service them so here are some pics to walk anyone through the process. Go ahead... it's easy!

While not required, it makes this job go a lot easier if you have some sort of axle vice to put the pedal in like a Park AV4.
8620015598_0a006e04ce_m.jpg

Gather up the necessary tools for the job. 10mm socket, c-ring pliers, pedal wrench, center punch, mallet, small screwdriver, some prep m or suitable bushing grease, penerating oil for pivots and optionally a drill and scotch brite pad.

8618911745_2aa5ec3156_m.jpg

Clamp the pedal in he vice and loosen the end cap with your c-ring pliers
8618912193_f5295d5717_m.jpg
8618911029_d7f44f246e_m.jpg
8620014884_3c8506d90c_m.jpg

remove the nylon lock nut with your 10mm socket
8618909917_300a4bc6c0_m.jpg

Supporting the pedal in a vice or someting that will let the axle come out, tap out the axle with a center punch.
8618909515_6dbd578cb1_m.jpg

before
8620013690_54887a63cb_m.jpg

after
8618908525_2b55d4cd79_m.jpg

pop out the seal with a small screwdriver and clean off all the old grease and dirt with a shop towel
8620012962_586a73c3dd_m.jpg
8620012284_86be16dcc5_m.jpg

clean and ready for assembly
8618907331_45284460fb_m.jpg

These pedals were on my winter commuter and the axles didn't look very nice. Corrosion from all the road salt left them looking worse for wear. I put the axle in my drill and spun while pinched in a scotch brite pad and it got everything back to near-new appearance.
8620011664_0647840cc8_m.jpg
8620010980_a44faa411c_m.jpg
8618906099_23d184b020_m.jpg

all cleaned up and ready for reassembly
8620010292_3189aabe3a_m.jpg
put a good amount of grease inside the pedal on the bushings as well as some around the top before pressing the seal back in place. Slide the axle in, tighten up the 10mm nut and re-install the end cap (reverse of what you did to take them apart). Don't forget to put a drop of penetrating oil on the 4 corners of the pedal where the bales pivot on the pins and you are ready to ride.
8618905189_277af641e7_m.jpg

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep. It's easy. I'm not sure why I didn't do mine sooner. They weren't too bad inside but it only takes a few minutes to keep them running like new.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thanks for the post, when I was trying to figure this out I was able to find a picture tutorial somewhere online... maybe it's no longer out there.

As far as I know, you don't want the axle to be mirror smooth in the area where the bushing sits, it might end up squealing.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point. The picture should be more accurate in that I only polished the portion from the seal to where the pedal threads in to the crank to remove the surface corrosion. When I did my axles with the drill that was in fact the only part I polished.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just discovered your instructions. Thanks for these, I have 3 sets of these pedals and all need service. I have wanted to learn to maintain them myself, so your instructions are right on time for me. I have a question though - my pedals all have a bit of play in them. Does this mean the bushings should be replaced? Or will a rebuild by itself take care of this?

Thanks, Repo.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the very short amount of time it takes to rebuild, I would just try the rebuild first before ordering bushings. You are right that a worn bushing will create slop, but the bearing cap when snugged up will also remove some of the play at the axle, so it may not be necessary. One of my pedals was very loose and I thought it was the bushing, but all that was required to snug things up was a 1/4 twist of the one bearing cap. They now spin freely with only a slightest bit of side play. In fact, they spin better than the new pair I just put on my wife's bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd be really interested in a pictorial on how to overhaul the rest of the pedal, like springs, pins, all that. I have never been able to find good instructions anywhere.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't tried it myself as all of my pedals still seem to be fine. That said, I do recall seeing someone who broke a bale on a rock strike and had to replace. I think you just tap out the pin with a punch, replace the necessary parts then press the pin back in.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just finished this rebuild on 3 sets of ATACs. Took about an hour overall, including some first time fumbling. All three sets spinning smooth like never before.:thumbsup: One set of old Aliums probably need new innards as they are still a bit wobbly after the procedure. Thanks for posting, this was a great excuse to buy a couple new tools and learn something new! :p Repo...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I know this is an old thread but wondering if anyone knows what size the outer bearing is on the Roc Atac S, or, if just a single bearing can be ordered.
Just had one frag on me. :)
Thanks

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
For anyone needing the info, your lbs can order these outer bearings from Enduro,
part # 696 2RS.
Perfect fit and less than $8.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Good stuff.

How about older TIMEs? I can't find any (real) data, other than a one page from an old bike mag, and that isn't at all comprehensive.

Older ones like these.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
All you can do is take them apart and bring the bearing specs to your lbs. All I had to give them was the width, OD, and ID and they looked it up.
Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Glad I found that I have the same pedals I've been using for years and a little love wont hurt them thanks for the instructions !!

·
Registered
291 Posts
one of my pedals has about 1/4" of side to side play. It's not clear to me from these instructions what would be causing that? I tried tightening the nylon lock nut and it was already tight. Thanks for any insight before I get to punching out the axle.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad to see this thread is still getting some use. If you have 1/4" play, it's very likely the bushing and/or bearing are shot. One other possibility is that the axle nut somehow backed off and is pressing against the end cap preventing the necessary preload. Either way, take them apart and see what's going on.

·
Life is a sport
6 Posts
Good stuff.

How about older TIMEs? I can't find any (real) data, other than a one page from an old bike mag, and that isn't at all comprehensive.

Older ones like these.

easy
take off the threaded collar on the thread side (very very careful with a pipe wrench - very careful)
innerads are similar to the above, one bearing....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts