Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have bought a pair of time atac xs and there are two options for the cleats installing.
I mounted the cleats in 17º release angle. (the instruction says for competition cycling)

I have been using SPD sytems for a lot of years and I feel strange when I need to release my feets because I have to spin too much theirs. I think maybe I will have problems in unexpected situations.

Is it better if I change the cleats on 13º or you think I will be used to accustoming to the 17º degrees??

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I have mine at 13 and never clip out accidentally.
Put those cleats on the "correct" shoes ( :) )

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
13 degree position..

I found 13 degrees to be too much. i used a rasp and file the cleats down to reduce the float even more. If you choose to do this use this image as a templete. Ive done this with every pair of time cleats ive had since i started using times in 97.

http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=47683&cat=240&brand=255

aranya said:
Hi,

I have bought a pair of time atac xs and there are two options for the cleats installing.
I mounted the cleats in 17º release angle. (the instruction says for competition cycling)

I have been using SPD sytems for a lot of years and I feel strange when I need to release my feets because I have to spin too much theirs. I think maybe I will have problems in unexpected situations.

Is it better if I change the cleats on 13º or you think I will be used to accustoming to the 17º degrees??

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,746 Posts
jrm said:
I found 13 degrees to be too much. i used a rasp and file the cleats down to reduce the float even more. If you choose to do this use this image as a templete. Ive done this with every pair of time cleats ive had since i started using times in 97.

http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=47683&cat=240&brand=255
I agree I also use the shaved ones from Speedgoat. I never have an accidental unclip. And they are as smooth as butter to unclip when needed.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the answers. :)

I will follow your advices and I will change the cleats to 13 degrees position.
Will I lose angular float or I just will reduce the angle to release?
I have delicate knees and I´m interested in float in pedals.

The speedgoat cleats are so interesting. What is the angle of theirs??

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
My knees are a bit vulnerable too and I have no problems with the 13 degree angle.
I suggest trying the stock cleats and seeing how it feels.

Sooner or later you will need new cleats: the metal is relatively soft.

·
Registered
937 Posts
don't have the mountain pedals, but I do have Time pedals for road, and when I bought new Impacts, I initially set them up for 17 degrees. I've got tender knees also, and thought this might be better for them.

Turns out that the extra range of movement needed to disengage at that angle was just too much for my knees; that angle really irritated them. so I switched back to 13, and have had no problems.

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
hopefully this helps..

aranya said:
Thank you for the answers. :)

I will follow your advices and I will change the cleats to 13 degrees position.
I have delicate knees and I´m interested in float in pedals.

In both cases yes you will

You know i dont know. You might contact speedgoat and ask.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.