Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

3241 - 3260 of 3383 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks so much for all your thoughts on the fork... I will likely stick with SLX, and plan to make upgrades in the future. Definitely the XT shifter, and eventually much higher end fork. The SLX seems pretty solid overall otherwise.
I don't know how important that XT shifter is TBH. I would not bother for multi-up-shifts alone.
The most important upgrade for the TJ - IMHO - are better brakes, not so much for power, as much as ease of one-finger breaking + modulation. The new Deore & SLX brakes, 2 or 4 pot, are excellent from my experience (M7120).

And once you have the brakes and you are in your splurging mood, you might want to get a matching i-Spec EV shifter (XT or not) and i-spec EV dropper lever (MT500 or MT800, both great, and unless you are after colors, as good if not better than the more expensive PNW, Wolftooth etc equivalents. Really like that the Shimanos are spring loaded and return perfectly). Again, not needed as much as the brakes, but at least this way you are getting a cleaner and easier to configure cockpit, on top of better tactile feel and/or multishift (which is nice to have, but not nearly as important going to higher gears IMHO).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Question about the fork that came on my 2019 Timberjack SLX -

The build spec on Salsa's website just say that my fork is the Rockshock Recon RL. When I look online it seems like there are a whole lot of different versions of the recon fork, and none of them are named exactly the same as what Salsa put on their website.

Can anyone make it simple and tell me which rebuild kit I need to service my fork?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Question about the fork that came on my 2019 Timberjack SLX -

The build spec on Salsa's website just say that my fork is the Rockshock Recon RL. When I look online it seems like there are a whole lot of different versions of the recon fork, and none of them are named exactly the same as what Salsa put on their website.

Can anyone make it simple and tell me which rebuild kit I need to service my fork?
rockshox & sram product naming is an absolute nightmare

you need the rockshox 32mm flangeless seal kit for the Recon boost.
that's rockshox part 11.4018.028.016

I'm trying to find the full 200 hour service kit

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I can't find the part # on the 200 hour service kit. That is what you'd need if you also wanted to replace seals inside the air spring and damper. You'd be looking for a recon boost 200 hour service kit.

Keep in mind that these newer forks use flangeless seals that are best installed with their piloted seal driver tool RockShox x Abbey Flangeless Dust Seal Installation Tool

I just love the fact that this tool costs about 1/3 the price of the fork. I would assume the fox and push seal presses that are much less expensive would work just the same. Rockshox did update all their forks to the same design fox has been using for some time now. It is possible to install these newer seals without the piloted tool, but it is very easy to push them too far into the fork.

·
Registered
8 Posts
rockshox & sram product naming is an absolute nightmare

you need the rockshox 32mm flangeless seal kit for the Recon boost.
that's rockshox part 11.4018.028.016

I'm trying to find the full 200 hour service kit
Awesome TY! that's exactly the info I needed.

Out of curiosity, when I see names specifying recon "gold" or "silver," and other things like A1 or B2 or A7, which if any of those specifications mean that they apply to my version of the Recon RL?

TY for that good info on the seal installer too. I have plenty of experience installing similar seals into engines so I think I will get by without the tool, but that's definitely good to know ahead of time

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I dont understand quite what the gold, silver, and TK designations are. I know they made a recon with a coil spring at one point. Might have something to do with that. I cant find anything on the rockshox website now that it has been updated. The A2, B1, etc. are the Rockshox revision codes or whatever you want to call them. The change in letters indicate a major revision, numbers are a minor revision.

It is possible to find out exactly what you have using the serial number on your fork. Sometimes the forks that come on bikes as original equipment don't exactly match up with an aftermarket fork model. But i do know that the dust wipers themselves are mostly interchangable between the newer batch of rockshox 32mm forks. that's why that product has SID, Reba, Recon on it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I dont understand quite what the gold, silver, and TK designations are. I know they made a recon with a coil spring at one point. Might have something to do with that. I cant find anything on the rockshox website now that it has been updated. The A2, B1, etc. are the Rockshox revision codes or whatever you want to call them. The change in letters indicate a major revision, numbers are a minor revision.

It is possible to find out exactly what you have using the serial number on your fork. Sometimes the forks that come on bikes as original equipment don't exactly match up with an aftermarket fork model. But i do know that the dust wipers themselves are mostly interchangable between the newer batch of rockshox 32mm forks. that's why that product has SID, Reba, Recon on it.
I believe the "Gold" in both the Recon and 35 lines mean the Stanchions are aluminum when Silver and "vanilla" RL are steel.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 2018 has this kit 00.4315.032.651

I need a few things first to do it. The fork isn't worth a professional overhaul since I'm going to replace it soon (hopefully). Cheaper dust tools exist on amazon.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
UPGRADES
U1 00.4318.045.003 FORK DUST WIPER UPGRADE KIT - 32MM BLACK FLANGELESS ULTRA-LOW FRICTION SKF SEALS (INCLUDES DUST WIPERS & 4MM FOAM RINGS) - BLUTO/RS-1/SID B1 (2017+)/32MM BOOST™ FORKS

SERVICE
200h 00.4315.032.651 200 HOUR/1 YEAR SERVICE KIT (INCLUDES DUST SEALS, FOAM RINGS, O-RING SEALS) - SEKTOR SILVER RL A2, RECON RL/TK A1-B1 (BOOST) (2018-2020)

@Millennial29erGuy the 2021 Recon Gold is exactly the same as the 19-20 Sektor, too :D

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
UPGRADES
U1 00.4318.045.003 FORK DUST WIPER UPGRADE KIT - 32MM BLACK FLANGELESS ULTRA-LOW FRICTION SKF SEALS (INCLUDES DUST WIPERS & 4MM FOAM RINGS) - BLUTO/RS-1/SID B1 (2017+)/32MM BOOST™ FORKS

SERVICE
200h 00.4315.032.651 200 HOUR/1 YEAR SERVICE KIT (INCLUDES DUST SEALS, FOAM RINGS, O-RING SEALS) - SEKTOR SILVER RL A2, RECON RL/TK A1-B1 (BOOST) (2018-2020)

@Millennial29erGuy the 2021 Recon Gold is exactly the same as the 19-20 Sektor, too :D
Nice.... can you link me to the rockshox page that gives you upgrades and service parts for a given fork model?

@timbuh these are the SKF brand seals that come on the higher end 32mm stanchion forks. From what I have read these have a higher amount of molybdenum disulfide in the rubber compound compared to the oe seals that come on the recon

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
My 2018 has this kit 00.4315.032.651

I need a few things first to do it. The fork isn't worth a professional overhaul since I'm going to replace it soon (hopefully). Cheaper dust tools exist on amazon.
just be careful about driving them in too far. lots of the seal drivers on the market are for flanged seals

·
WNC Native
3,885 Posts
Without digging back through the thread, anyone running or have tested a 29x2.8 Rekon on i35-i40 rims in the rear of the Timberjack?

·
Registered
8 Posts
that link also shows a remote upgrade kit, part 00.4318.002.015 , but it says it only works with the recon rl silver so I guess we can't use that?

I'm still a bit confused about the gold/silver/just plain recon rl designations. I was looking through the service manual for these forks and it's inconsistent on whether or not they list the recon rl is a separate fork, some sections just give you the service procedures for the gold and the silver and don't say which ones you should follow the the plain recon rl.

besides that, since we're on the topic of fork upgrades, is there anything else that can be upgraded internally like maybe putting in one of their fancy debonair springs?

·
Registered
63 Posts
just be careful about driving them in too far. lots of the seal drivers on the market are for flanged seals
Good tip. I just can't justify $100 tool on a fork I intend to get ride of. The forks I'm looking at would need the 35mm tool instead of the 32mm. buut....the Recon is leaking air at the moment so it needs this to stay on duty for a bit while I save the coins I find in the couch.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Good tip. I just can't justify $100 tool on a fork I intend to get ride of. The forks I'm looking at would need the 35mm tool instead of the 32mm. buut....the Recon is leaking air at the moment so it needs this to stay on duty for a bit while I save the coins I find in the couch.
possible that you could fix your leaking air by just regreasing all the seals on the air shaft and putting everything back together

·
DFMBA.org
1,872 Posts
I've been back and forth between the Timberjack XT and SLX. Aside from the drivetrain differences, of course the other big one is the fork. Is the RockShox Sektor a big upgrade over the Recon? DebonAir vs Solo Air seems to be the distinction here.
I purchased the SLX model last year ('19) and the Recon fork is garbage. I even sent it back to SRAM for warranty, but they said the fork was fine. Even if I let all the air out of the fork, it won't fully bottom out. There's about 1.5" of stanchion exposed and it feels as if there's residual air trapped in the fork. It gets overwhelmed easily in rock gardens and feels like a pogo stick, no matter what rebound setting I set it to. Anyway, I have a new Fox 34 on order which should be 100X better.

I also ditched the stock wheelset because the rear WTB Serra hub is beyond bad. It started making a grinding noise after about 3 months of riding. The Serra (not Speedterra) freehub design is awful with cup/cone bearings inside the FH, and almost no way of servicing it. I wish WTP woulda spec'd a generic Formula hub or Novatec for that matter that had a more standard design.

There's a significant price increase from the '19 model but the wheelset is marginally better with the Shimano hubs, and the TCS WTB tires. The '19 SLX had wire bead tires which were stupid-heavy. Thus far, I've been pretty happy with the SLX drivetrain and the Shimano OEM brakes. If it were my $$ I'd probably opt for the XT model due to the fact that there's only a $300 price diff and you get Deore-level brakes, XT drivetrain, and a fork that has to be better than the crap Recon. If you plan on replacing the fork right away, then the SLX is maybe the way to go.

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
281 Posts
I have a new Fox 34 on order which should be 100X better.
Hopefully you at least got the Grip2 dampener. The Fit4 is awful.

Honestly, before you go and install that sucker make sure you REALLY want it. The Fox 34 is by far the WORST fork I’ve ever ridden, and I’m nowhere near alone in feeling that way.

I just pulled a Fox 34 from my trail bike to install a DVO Sapphire D1. The DVO is better in almost every single way. The only downside is that it’s slightly heavier, and that’s a trade off I’ll make every time.

The Pike is also a far better fork than the 34, Select through Ultimate will outperform the 34 all day.

I spent months trying to make my 34 feel good. Several rebuilds, new air spring...

Long and short, unless you’re ready to start dumping a bunch more money into the 34; Luftkappe, custom tuned dampener...

You’re better off getting something that is just good out of the box.

The guys at DVO are awesome, make a great product and you can tune your heart out. Fresh out of the box at DVO baseline suggested settings, the Sapphire was astonishingly better than the 34. After a few tuning rides, it’s the best fork I’ve ever ridden.

It’s so good, I’m going to be pulling the Fox DPS shock ASAP for the DVO Topaz T3.

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,418 Posts
Hopefully you at least got the Grip2 dampener. The Fit4 is awful.

Honestly, before you go and install that sucker make sure you REALLY want it. The Fox 34 is by far the WORST fork I’ve ever ridden, and I’m nowhere near alone in feeling that way.
I disagree with this. My 2016 Instinct came with a 32, and I put a 34 on it after a year of riding. The 34 felt great, it was more stiff and supple than the 32, and I had no issues with the damping, compression, or any other aspect of it. Granted, I bought the cheapest 34 available, so it was the Grip damper, but I think that as long as you like the way that Fox forks feel, you will like the 34.
I have ridden a couple Pikes over the years and they are great too, I just prefer the smooth top end and the ramp-up that Fox forks have vs. the stiffer more continuous push of the Rockshox. I've never ridden a DVO so I cannot say which would be better, but I have a Marzocchi Z2 (34) on my TJ and it rides so much more confidently than it did with the Recon.

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
281 Posts
Again, if it’s a Fit4 I would really think twice before installing it.

The Grip and Fit4 dampeners are different animals. Before I pulled my Fox Factory 34 with a Fit4 I was looking at swapping to the Grip 2 dampener and upgrading the air spring with a Luftkappe. So $450-$500 in parts to fix a $900 fork?

No thanks.

3241 - 3260 of 3383 Posts