Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 3316 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Timberjacks are making their way in! Here is mine with clearance pics, I'm going to see if 29+ will squeeze in with the alternators all the way back. Can't actually ride it yet, waiting for the rear axle.

Wheels are Dually 39id with 3.0 tires

·
Registered
234 Posts
Beautiful bike! Mine is a Charcoal, 27.5+ complete. The only custom part would be my pedals, so far, Straitline De Factos in orange. But... if anybody wants any pictures of any particular part of the stock build, let me know!

IMG_20161221_220717_972.jpg

20161220_161955.jpg

20161215_155006.jpg

20161215_154959.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ordered my NX1 in early December, and am still waiting for it to come in. Salsa promised delivery before Christmas. My LBS left me a message yesterday saying Salsa would ship next week. Fingers crossed. . .

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Socrates that looks great! I was supposed to get that frame but things got wacky. How do you like the bike?

Jwalther I hope it comes soon, I've lost a lot of confidence in QBP to manage and deliver bike shipments, especially because it puts an LBS in a crappy spot.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hey grizzler- did you get your Timberjack in the 29 configuration and then put B+ tires and the Fox fork on it? Just trying to figure out how you got that particular set-up. It looks gorgeous by the way- I love that blue.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey grizzler- did you get your Timberjack in the 29 configuration and then put B+ tires and the Fox fork on it? Just trying to figure out how you got that particular set-up. It looks gorgeous by the way- I love that blue.
I originally ordered the frame in August and expected it October but it kept getting delayed. Earlier this month my LBS called saying the ETA was now spring. So we switched my order to a Karate Monkey.

The next day he worked out ordering a complete 29er at a good price for him. He kept the build I took the frame.

Only problem was that the frame came with 135mm plates and reducers. I found some 12x142 plates and now just need the appropriate skewer.

The blue is definitely much nicer than the photos Salsa provided!

·
Registered
201 Posts
i bought the 29 NX version with intentions of tearing it down, selling off the bits and building it up fresh. but now i gotta wait like a schmoe for the boost alternator plates to get restocked. shoulda gone for the plus version off the bat. oh well.

i did fiddle fart with tire clearance in the back, and was able to fit a 3" tire on a VERY narrow rim with the dropouts moved all the way forward. tire measured at 2.65" on the rim for the test fitting. so i think 29 plus is a definite possibility with this frame.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i bought the 29 NX version with intentions of tearing it down, selling off the bits and building it up fresh. but now i gotta wait like a schmoe for the boost alternator plates to get restocked. shoulda gone for the plus version off the bat. oh well.

i did fiddle fart with tire clearance in the back, and was able to fit a 3" tire on a VERY narrow rim with the dropouts moved all the way forward. tire measured at 2.65" on the rim for the test fitting. so i think 29 plus is a definite possibility with this frame.
Not that they're any more available, but you get boost spacing with the regular 12x142 plates. If you happen to have a buddy with a set they aren't using like I did. Just need a 180mm axle.

Good to hear about then 29+ possibility, so would a wider rim fit better with the dropouts all the way back?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Extremely close to buying this bike. Question: is there a lot of chain slap ? (GX 27.5 plus).

Thanks.
I can't imagine there being anymore than any other bike with a clutch rear derailleur (which is not much). Couldn't tell you from my perspective because I'm running single speed.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Not that they're any more available, but you get boost spacing with the regular 12x142 plates. If you happen to have a buddy with a set they aren't using like I did. Just need a 180mm axle.

Good to hear about then 29+ possibility, so would a wider rim fit better with the dropouts all the way back?
yeah the 2.65" tire with the dropouts slammed fit with ease. so i think a true 29 plus on a 40 or 50 in the rear is a definite possibility. gonna get my hands on a wheel for testing tonight, will report back.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
any chance a 27.5 x 3.8 would fit depending on rear axle location?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Dumb question here: The internal cable comes out of the top tube (close to the seat) at the spot where my truck mounted bike rack grips the top tube. Do you think this would cause damage to the cable? Would a top tube adaptor pole help this? I never used one. Thanks.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The inside corner where the RD/FD cables pop out??
Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 8.15.08 PM.jpg

If it grabs the corner I would be worried about the housing rubbing the frame and causing cosmetic damage.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had a one before where I could rotate the mount to grab on the top outside corner instead of the inside corner, is that possible for you?

1 - 20 of 3316 Posts