Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone can help me out here. I've always stayed away from centerlock rotors, but this wheel came on my Horsethief. Rotor lockring was apparently not tightened properly at the factory - has come loose after 500 miles or so. This is an HB-M7110-B SLX front hub (15 mm x 110mm boost). I have the tool Park FR-5 that fits those splines, but there is no space around the axle for it to fit in there. How do I tighten (or remove) the lockring?

Seems like the axle needs to come off first. I removed the locknut and cone from the right side of the axle, but it is still not free to slide out - the left cone is still on there and trapped between the bearings on the inside and the rotor lockring on the outside. The black ring on the outside of the left side does not seem to come off the silver inner part - the cone on the other (right) side will always spin first if you try to unscrew it. And the Shimano shop manual (3rd attachment is page 12 from Manuals & Technical Documents but shimano's website seems to be down right now) seems to make pretty clear that it does not come off.

All the Shimano manuals and 3rd-party videos on the centerlock rotors just say to use a FR-5 like tool to tighten the lockring, without any discussion about what to do if the axle to so big that there is no clearance between the axle and the lockring. And all the manuals and videos on the hub start with no rotor.

I must be missing something.

Help?

Thanks,
Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wrong lockring unfortunately.
check this thread out Centerlock 15mm TA Tool?? help!
Thanks for the reply!

I'm not sure specifically what in that thread I should be looking at. Mostly the responders are discussing BBT-9 / TL-FC36 sorts of tools that work on lockrings with external splines/notches. I have a tool of this type as well, and the rear hub that came on the Horsethief has a lockring that this tool works on, but the front hub has a lockring with internal splines/notches that a FR-5 / TL-LR15 tool fits, BUT the axle completely fills the lockring, so there is no clearance to get the tool in there. In all the pictures/videos of the use of a FR-5 / TL-LR15 tool the axle is smaller enough than the ID of the lockring that the cylindrical wall of the tool can fit between. But on my hub there is essentially zero clearance.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I recall there being a FR5 tool that had super shallow walls, it may have been another brand? Maybe the FR5.2?

Essentially though I think that you definitely need to get that one off so that you can install the lockring tool that uses the external BB cup splines. Good luck, I wish I had more experience with the shimano 15mm hubs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recall there being a FR5 tool that had super shallow walls, it may have been another brand? Maybe the FR5.2?

Essentially though I think that you definitely need to get that one off so that you can install the lockring tool that uses the external BB cup splines. Good luck, I wish I had more experience with the shimano 15mm hubs.
Thanks. I've looked at an FR-5.2 in person, and it didn't look like it had thinner walls than my FR-5, but I guess I haven't actually tried it. I'll look around for any tools that seem might they might have thinner walls (or maybe someone will chime in here), though I have a hard time imagining one that would fit - it is so tight.

Thanks again,
Keith

·
Registered
35 Posts
If they got it on there without a tool which it sounds and looks like they did, I'm thinking maybe some WD-40 (to loosen up anything) and maybe hit with a hammer and a punch.
You're going to have to replace it anyway and it should only be cosmetic damage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That lockring is meant to go on rear wheels, not front. Someone at salsa assembled it wrong.
Look at the lockring on your rear wheel, it's likely the one with external ridges and you need to swap them front and rear.
The front should have the one that looks like this:
Yes, that picture you link to is exactly what is on the rear wheel. Your suggestion of Salsa putting the wrong lockring on the wrong wheel sounds like the most likely explanation for all this. Maybe why the lockring came loose so soon - they couldn't get a proper tool on there to tighten it up to spec. Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If they got it on there without a tool which it sounds and looks like they did, I'm thinking maybe some WD-40 (to loosen up anything) and maybe hit with a hammer and a punch.
You're going to have to replace it anyway and it should only be cosmetic damage.
Yes, I think that may be the only thing to do at this point is to get it off however I can and then replace it with a lockring with external splines. I'm thinking that's why it came loose so soon - they couldn't tighten it properly in the first place. Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just based on the pics, it looks like there is an end cap that needs to be popped off, at which point you should have enough room to access the lock ring.
I thought that at first too and spent a long time trying to get something off the end of the axle, but I am now convinced that it does not come off - see my third attached image of the Shimano manual. Thanks.

·
since 4/10/2009
37,120 Posts
I'd take it back to the shop where you got it and make them fix it (and send the complaint up the food chain to salsa).

For that matter, however, I think it's supremely stupid to put different lockring interfaces on different wheels. I ONLY put the internal spline lockrings on QR wheels, and the external spline lockrings go on thru axle wheels. One tool.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I managed to get the lockring off by tapping with a hammer and small screwdriver (actually came off pretty easily since it was already a bit loose). I should have tried that sooner in the process.

Clearly that lockring should not be on a hub with a 15 mm axle - would this error have been made at Salsa or the shop that assembled it?

I'll replace it with an externally splined lockring to match the rear wheel.

Cheers,
Keith

·
since 4/10/2009
37,120 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I managed to get the lockring off by tapping with a hammer and small screwdriver (actually came off pretty easily since it was already a bit loose). I should have tried that sooner in the process.

Clearly that lockring should not be on a hub with a 15 mm axle - would this error have been made at Salsa or the shop that assembled it?

Cheers,
Keith
most bikes I ever assembled when working at shops (including one that sold salsa) came with rotors installed. However, some brands send the bikes in different states of assembly. Santa Cruz, for example, likes to send a box of parts. I last worked in a salsa shop almost a decade ago, so it's possible that the rotors were not installed on this bike and the shop is the one to blame. I also usually assembled bikes that had 6 bolt rotors, so maybe centerlock ones are treated differently by salsa? hard to know for sure without taking it to the shop. and they may not actually admit who owns the responsibility in this case. still, I'd obtain a lockring identical to the one on your rear wheel, so both wheels will require the same tool to mess with your rotors in the future.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

Cheers,
Keith
I'm going to lean towards the shop that assembled the bike doing that. And it was boneheaded to say it in the least colorful way I can. That sort of crap really boggles the mind.

Those lockrings will work fine over a 12mm thru.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.