Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to bike repair, so I hope the title of my post is accurate. Long story short, I am trying to reassemble my rear drive train (i.e., bolt the axle to the cassette via the hub cone). I am trying to tighten the hub cone but eventually it gets tightened down so far that it dips below the plane of the cassette/lockring, at which point I can no longer reach the hub cone with the wrench.

Here are some pictures for illustration:
IMG_1161: Quick-release above, axle below. I believe the parts on the axle are as follows (from left): axle nut, washer, hub cone, dust cover, bearings.
IMG_1162: My cassette without the axle inserted.
IMG_1165: The hub cone is being tightened onto the axle and all the bearings on both sides are in place. However, the hub cone has been tightened down so far that I can no longer reach it with any of my standard tools. I am guessing that once this hub cone is tight, I need to add back the dust cover and washer then tighten the axle nut.

Am I on the right track? If worse comes to worse, would I have to remove the cassette to have enough room to tighten the hub cone? Or is there a special tool for this?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
docyoung said:
I am new to bike repair, so I hope the title of my post is accurate. Long story short, I am trying to reassemble my rear drive train (i.e., bolt the axle to the cassette via the hub cone). I am trying to tighten the hub cone but eventually it gets tightened down so far that it dips below the plane of the cassette/lockring, at which point I can no longer reach the hub cone with the wrench.

Here are some pictures for illustration:
IMG_1161: Quick-release above, axle below. I believe the parts on the axle are as follows (from left): axle nut, washer, hub cone, dust cover, bearings.
IMG_1162: My cassette without the axle inserted.
IMG_1165: The hub cone is being tightened onto the axle and all the bearings on both sides are in place. However, the hub cone has been tightened down so far that I can no longer reach it with any of my standard tools. I am guessing that once this hub cone is tight, I need to add back the dust cover and washer then tighten the axle nut.

Am I on the right track? If worse comes to worse, would I have to remove the cassette to have enough room to tighten the hub cone? Or is there a special tool for this?
Well, you're not bolting the axle to the cassette for one thing. Generally if you remove the axle you only loosen and remove the non-drive side locknuts and slide the axle out the drive side. Otherwise you're possibly going to have axle spacing difficulty if you loosened and removed the locknuts from both axle ends. Review the instructions here http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=105

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.