Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
i was in similar situation, and just bought a Lupine Tesla. I was impressed with the beamshots of the tigerlights and the lumicycle too, but could only find manufacturers shots. With the tesla theres quite a lot of info and beam shots on this site. Also get 3hrs on high instead of 2.5 of the Tigerlights. Not sure about the Lumi as no ones got one yet, and i didnt want to wait any longer.

If you're in the UK (just a guess as you're looking at lumi's and tigerlights too) then cheapest place i found the tesla was Swinnerton Cycles £249 delivered, but apparently Coventry cycle centre are doing them for 239. Cant confrim that though as i'd already got mine from Swinnertons when i heard it.

I think Lumicycle are being optomistic about their lumens according to some posts i've read on here and STW. Tigerlights were quoting 700 (ie the lowest value of the potential max output) but then raised it when Lumicycle released their 850 lumen quote!

Only done one ride with the tesla but was very impressed, but with the rate of progression of LED's the trick is now not to look at any more bike light related posts for at least another couple of years!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
yeah i looked at the wilma and (very briefly) the betty, but Betty was too expensive, and the wilma shots + reviews i read didnt seem to rate it much better than the tesla which was quite a bit cheaper. Another one to consider would be an Iblaast from New Zealand then a battery from a guy called Smudge who posts on here sometimes and on STW as 5mudge (i think) he's from the UK, and will do a decent 4.4Ah battery + charger for about £100 delivered. Does 2.2Ah as well. But i didnt like the bar mount on the Iblaast and wanted something that would work out the box with no faffing.

You could always order a tesla and just play with it to see what the beams like on some dark track. Thats what i did with the tesla, just took it to a nearby bridleway in the car the day it arrived and had a look at the beam. I was impressed with it though so kept it. I think the tigerlights bloke might have a demo light if you email him as some bloke on STW mentioned he'd used a demo one for a bit. I guess you might have to pay postage if you didnt buy one, but at least you could have a look. They look impressive, but i wanted a longer run time and a Li-ion battery not a lipo one.

If you get a tesla, it fits an oversize diameter bar straight out the box, just need to stretch the fastening band a bit more.

EDIT:

I think the reason the tesla is getting good reviews is the reflector design. Although its down a bit on lumens compared to the wilma, and (on paper) the Lumicycle or tiger lights, the actual spread of light (nice pool of light by the wheel, but also a good penetrating beam further out) makes it so good. Have a look here for the beam shape... (scroll down the page a bit, and open the images in different windows / tabs for a large view comparison)

http://acidinmylegs.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
676 Posts
I really like the beam of the Tesla after seeing all the beam shots. I own a Lupine Betty and Wilma for the money I would go with a Tesla over the Wilma b/c of the nice beam and it's lighter weight. Not that the Wilma is bad, I just think I would like the Tesla beam better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.