Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Avid BB7 brakes...last night on a ride on a pretty long, technical and fast descent I suddenly started hearing a rapid (approx 2 times/second) ticking noise when applying my rear brake. I also noticed that when it first started happening there was no play in my brake lever -- which there usually is some early in the pull. It was almost like the caliper was hanging up or something.

I quit using my rear brake for the rest of the descent and stopped at the bottom for an inspection. Taking my pads out, the only thing I noticed at all was that the clip had a slight bend in it. It still seemed to be holding both pads and when I reinserted the pads everything looked normal. When I got back on and started riding, the play was back in my lever, so it felt normal, but when I engaged the brake the noise still happened.

Could the kink/bend in the clip be causing this? Anything else that anyone has had happen? The brakes still work, but the noise concerns me as I think it is metal on rotor.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yeah that has happened to me....its the metal retaining clip that is touching your rotor.....your rotor has vent holes every time the clip goes in and out it makes a click...

The reason it happened was because your pads have worn down so the clip made contact with the rotor.....you can try to straighten it out and re-align your caliper....but usually once you kinked it that bad its toast....

New brake pads might not be a bad idea....make sure they include a new retaining clip sometimes they don't........

If you want to extend the life of the pads a bit more you can actually ride without that clip in there....its only to spread the pads during installation....the brakes work fine without them....its a bit harder installing the wheel but that's all....

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This does seem like the most likely cause, but my pads are only a few weeks old and I had been on 10+ rides since changing them and never had a problem till this ride. I looked at it again this evening and was riding around my yard and the only other comment I can make is that it only happens when I am braking under load. If my bike is in a stand, the brakes work fine. Which also seems a bit strange if it were just the retaining clip hitting the rotor you would think that would happen no matter what, not just under load....

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
swap front and rear pads and see of the noise travels too.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Mike Aswell said:
This does seem like the most likely cause, but my pads are only a few weeks old and I had been on 10+ rides since changing them and never had a problem till this ride. I looked at it again this evening and was riding around my yard and the only other comment I can make is that it only happens when I am braking under load. If my bike is in a stand, the brakes work fine. Which also seems a bit strange if it were just the retaining clip hitting the rotor you would think that would happen no matter what, not just under load....

Remove the retaining clip and see what happens....thats the only way to rule it out....

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I swapped the rear and front pads and the noise did NOT travel. The rear brake continues to make the noise.

I was coming down a rocky descent at a pretty high rate of speed....and I just noticed now that the inside of the rotor surface that would contact the pad has three fairly significant and closely spaced groove-like gouges in it.

So dumb question for the day...could it be the rotor?? I am definitely thinking it could be. They aren't huge gashes, but big enough that I could see them causing the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts