Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use tick gaitors? They're supposed to prevent ticks from getting inside your clothing. They're available from forestry Suppliers for 12 or 13 dollars. Cheap security?

Attachments

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
Despite the thread title spelling [phoenetically] something in me still hoped to see some type of reptilian/tick hybrid after clicking. What features make them particularly effective at preventing tick intrusion over normal gaiters? I don't see stirrup straps, what keeps them from creeping up while hiking and moving about? Do they?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been wearing impregnated gaiters (OR Bugout) for the past year or so. Before I wore them it was normal for me to find a few ticks on my clothes after coming out of the woods. Since then I can't remember finding a single tick. In my experience they work.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,384 Posts
I have some old Eastern Mountain Sports short stretchy gaiters that are awesome. Schoeller softshell fabric so they're quite water resistant (almost waterproof) for stream crossings and dew-covered vegetation.

They're stretchy, so they close off the upper cuff of your footwear from stuff getting down inside. Scree, sticks, dirt, ticks. They haven't been sold for YEARS, so I'm glad I bought 2 pair. They also have stirrup straps, and a little hook to grab your shoelaces to keep them in place. I spray mine with Permethrin for tick protection. IMO, stretchy gaiters are a better solution than tucking your pants into long hiking socks (which is the standard recommendation to keep ticks away from your ankles).

·
Registered
10,330 Posts
Despite the thread title spelling [phoenetically] something in me still hoped to see some type of reptilian/tick hybrid after clicking. What features make them particularly effective at preventing tick intrusion over normal gaiters? I don't see stirrup straps, what keeps them from creeping up while hiking and moving about? Do they?
I keep saying "tick gaitors" in my best southern twang. Tick gaitors

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
I keep saying "tick gaitors" in my best southern twang. Tick gaitors
I kid you not, that after reading you post I can't stope either. It's an oddly satisfying "phrase" to say when it's drenched in that southern sauce.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,384 Posts
Isn't the "treated with permethrin" they key part--socks and maybe pants?
It helps. But even with treating your pants, leaving the cuffs loose still leaves a way for ticks to get past. Stretchy gaiters make it just that much more difficult, and ensure that they have no choice but to rub all over permethrin-treated clothes.

And stretchy gaiters are generally more functional than stuffing your pants into your socks.

If I know I will be doing a lot of off trail work, I will put the gaiters on.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.