Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
bike buster
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were out riding today (hopefully all of you were -- beautiful day), make sure you check yourself and everything you had on for ticks! I hopped in the shower when I noticed a new 'bump' on my back. A quick look in the mirror proved that this bump had legs and a head. The head was buried under the skin of my shoulder. Ripped that f*@#&er out pronto. Now I'm paranoid that I have some kind of infection/disease... but I thought I'd pass on the warning.

Is there anything else I should do? Should I see about getting some antibiotics as a precaution? Not trying to be overdramatic, but I really don't want to get sick and have never seen a tick buried under my skin before. Kind of creepy!

Justin

·
Registered
695 Posts
desmo13 said:
Growing up in the woods, I remember always have them. Mom always checked us as we came in inside. I remember she always "unscrewed" them, never pulling straight out.
Good advice here, unscrew them and do not pull them out. Also, immediatly after going through a vegetated area, check for them. I have found 2-3 on me sometimes.

·
bikerbert
1,082 Posts
Did you get the whole thing out? That was what my DR asked me the time I had one. If you got the whole thing out, you're typically in the clear. But I would definitely get a doc to confirm that.

When this happened to me, I got a tetnus (sp?) shot to play it on the safe side.

·
bike buster
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I got the whole thing out. It was in a hard to reach spot on the back of my shoulder, so I kind of scraped it off with a fingernail. Seemed to do the trick. I tried flicking it off thinking it would just come loose, but it was hanging on for dear life. Crazy. I don't see any 'leftovers,' so I'm sure it'll be fine. Definitely going to check myself more often while out on the trail.

Justin

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,482 Posts
You guys...

...really need to bone up on your tick info. It's a shame, w/ all the info out there (Google!), you're still telling people the improper way to remove ticks. :nono:

Straight out! No twisting!

Ya flick him, and that just pisses him off and he barfs his sh!t into you. :eekster:

Hope you kept the tick, just in case.

Good luck, you're probably going to need it. I'd say, chances you're gonna die are pretty good.

fp

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
Good reminder thread!

Fort Ord is crawling w/ the bastid's right now... One lodged himself right into the middle of my upper thigh last Monday. My leg hurt for a good day. Somehow he made it under my tights?

You ever tried to kill one of them? Crushing them is near impossible. I like to watch them drown in bleach. A fitting death for those POS's...

Attachments

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hey Justin,

This is from my surrogate mother. Her son had lyme disease and so she's become somewhat of an expert on it. This is the message she sent to us when Dan got a tick bite.

1A -- Don't Panic! I know from personal experience that the
immediate personal reaction, no matter how calm and well-trained
you are regarding ticks on other people, is to scream (inwardly
at least) "Ack, a tick! Get it off! Get it OFF!!!" This is not a
terribly productive response, and may in fact lead to unnecessary
haste in removal)

1) Remove it slowly (even calmly if possible) and carefully,
being sure you get all body parts (tweezers close to the point of
attachment work best -- pull gently from inside (closest to your
skin) the part of the body that is sticking out (not pressing on
the actual body if at all possible since that tends to force
fluids from the tick into you which of course you are trying to
avoid) and when you have the whole tick out, put it into a small
container full of rubbing alcohol and save it for identification.

2) If all body parts do not come out with the tick, go to a
doctor for complete removal.

3) Take tick to local Public Health Department for identification
(they can put it under a microscope while you wait and tell you
if it's the kind that transmits the spirochetes, Borrelia
bergdorferi, that cause LD -- around here that would be the
Ioxides pacificus variety, commonly called "Western black-legged
tick") Chat with the good people who work there and thank them
profusely for their dedication to an under-paid and
underappreciated public service!

4) If it's determined that the tick you had embedded (that means
firmly attached, not just seconds after it bit you -- There are
data to suggest that ticks must feed for 24-48 hours before B.
burgdorferi is transmitted to the host.) is in fact the kind that
could transmit LD, request a prophylactic dose of doxycycline (a
very available and not big deal type of antibiotic that is still
the best line of defense against LD) per the following
conclusions of a reputable study as reported on the Johns Hopkins

( http://www.hopkins-arthritis.org/other/lyme.html#get_lyme )

These data suggest that a single 200-mg dose of doxycycline given
within 72 hours after an I. scapularis tick bite can prevent the
development of Lyme disease.

If it is more than 72 hours after a bite before you can obtain
treatment, they can also give you doxycycline, but for a longer
period of time.

5) If you see a doctor who does not agree with this suggestion,
or feels is might not be necessary, respectfully excuse yourself
and go find another doctor.

Call around if you have to - convince them that you were bitten
while in an area known to be a hotbed of LD activity (even if
it's not at, for example Big Bear, or wherever you are seeking
treatment) -- ask the local Public Health folks for referrals to
sympathetic doctors if need be -- all Public Health professionals
are "believers" and understand about LD even if many medical
professionals are still skeptical or lagging behind in
information due to low activity in their geographic area.

The incidence of actual transmission, even if the type of tick is
*possibly* a carrier, is still very low (1-3% in the East Coast
studies) but I tell ya, if you've been around someone who has had
the disease you know it's nothing to mess with. Why take the
chance?

·
What would Pimpbot do?
364 Posts
Don't worry

jdubsl2 said:
Not trying to be overdramatic, but I really don't want to get sick and have never seen a tick buried under my skin before. Kind of creepy!

Justin
I went to the MD a few years ago after incomplete removal of a tick and she told me that Lyme disease is rare on the West Coast. It is much more common back East. While this isn't a guarantee, you should be more worried about cars on your bike ride to the store to pick up your blunt forceps...Thanks Finch Platte.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
To help prevent a tick bite for next time...

If you are riding in a known tick infested area, lather yourself up with some insect repellent in lotion form and keep it in your gear bag. Most of them indicate they repel ticks. I religiously use the stuff in the spring at places like Bullards Bar and haven't had a single tick bite. :thumbsup:

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
Now I am all

freaked out :eekster: Thanks, Justin... I am going to recheck myself now. Did you feel it or just see it? I don't look at my back very often.

Shiloh, are you, Dan and Greg clean(no ticks)?

Fun ride yesterday... I am sore :thumbsup:

·
bike buster
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the optimism, FP. I'll will you all my stuff for making me laugh. ... don't expect much, though. :-D

Just happened to feel it and noticed whatever 'it' was wouldn't come off with soap. Scary. Out now and I even made it through the night. Sorry, FP. No stuff for you. :-(

Good ride yesterday.. definitely. I'm worked. Just woke up (shameless) but am still planning on a ride after some chores.

Justin

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Got a nice tick first time I went to Tamarancho - noticed some odd pain under my arm on the drive home. Decided to check in the mirror and sure enough, a bug.

Was able to remove it and placed it on the bathroom counter ... it walked around a bit, fully healthy, until i flushed it away.

Those buggers sure know how to survive, even after being squeezed to death just about. Amazing creatures.

·
Registered
190 Posts
They were all over the place at Coe last weekend. Not tromping through the brush, mind you, but clipped in while going down Middle Ridge at 20mph. Lesson learned; you don't have to go bushwackin' to be exposed to the little critters. Check twice.

·
3.14159265358979323846…
2,847 Posts
Finch Platte said:
...really need to bone up on your tick info. It's a shame, w/ all the info out there (Google!), you're still telling people the improper way to remove ticks. :nono:

Straight out! No twisting!

Ya flick him, and that just pisses him off and he barfs his sh!t into you. :eekster:

Hope you kept the tick, just in case.

Good luck, you're probably going to need it. I'd say, chances you're gonna die are pretty good.

fp
My thought exactly... you'll just twist their heads off if you "unscrew" them...

and yeah Jdubs... I hope you have your last will and testament in order.
you can leave the stumpjumper to me:D

Edit: I jest and LD is rare, but it does happen and when it does it will F you Up!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Never had a tick before in my life. Read this thread this morning. Then rode Wilder Ranch in the afternoon and picked up a tick. Lovely. Tried to pull it out, but the body snapped off. Pulled out a knife and got most of the head out, but I think I saw a spec of black left over. Guess I'll keep my eye on it for the next week or two.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
hobbers said:
Never had a tick before in my life. Read this thread this morning. Then rode Wilder Ranch in the afternoon and picked up a tick. Lovely. Tried to pull it out, but the body snapped off. Pulled out a knife and got most of the head out, but I think I saw a spec of black left over. Guess I'll keep my eye on it for the next week or two.
Make sure you get it all. Like velocipus said, LD is nothing to take lightly.

I invested $4 into a tick removal tool, and can't seem to find it. Guess I'll have to head back to REI and get one.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just so happens that I got my first tick today too. Picked it up at China Camp. Was lifting my girlfriend's bike onto the roof rack after the ride and felt a dull pain on my left thigh. Immediately looked at saw the little bugger...he must've just clamped on. First attempt to remove him failed (had my gloves on so couldn't get a good grip) and it felt like he reacted by digging a little deeper. Second tug and that did the trick. Didn't look like anything was left behind but I swear it was still sore for another 30 mins after that. Seems ok now but I'll be sure to watch it. Now I'm going to be paranoid about future rides and tick encounters!

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
I asked God to be a chick magnet, but unfortunately he misunderstood me.

I've never known anyone to collect more ticks than myself; I collected between 30 and 40 yesterday in Coe alone. I pretty much check myself regularly but have had two bite into me so far this year.

I even got Lime disease once a few years ago from a tick in Coe. The tale-tail bulls-eye rash showed up a few days later be sure to watch for any kind of rash the week following a bite. A dose of antibiotics fixed me up but from what I understand, best results are done soon after infection.

Saving the tick is not much help; at least the first time I tried it around 13 years ago it wasn’t. Took it over to the Redwood City disease control. Got this guy totally excited to help me out, put it under a microscope and promptly told me that normally this kind of tick does not normally carry Lyme disease, but sometimes they do. Said to watch for a Bulls-eye rash, but you do not always get one. I asked if they had a test they could do on the tick, he said yes but they are not conclusive. He then wished me good luck and sent me out the door.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts