Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
customized
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yogreg said:
put your clipless pedals to good work and start pedaling circles/ you will go twice as fast.
I got that part down, it is the falling when I can't get out of them. First 12 mile ride I fell 8 times with no technical moves... second 12 mile ride I fell once and was actually going over logs and through rock gardens. We'll see how it goes tonight.

·
Back on the wagon
1,091 Posts
I got bit twice at ft. rock on tuesday by skeeters. I didn't miss the bastards, that's for sure. Pulled a tick off me from Mt. A this morning. He was almost attached, but I got him in time. I hate ticks.

·
Tater Like'um Bike Ridez!
112 Posts
Save a pint, pace yourself...

It is my experience that if you ride really really hard, crankin with all yer might, you can out run the bastards long enough to stop and catch yer breath. You might even get a sip in on the ole camelbak before they catch up. BUT by the time you realize the feast has begun, and get yourself back up to escape speed, you've already lost a considerable volume of blood..... So last summer i tried a new idea... not exactly the easiest method, but it works and could possible solve the problem for ever... The trick is to never give them even a taste. When you're ready to start riding, mount your ride (hehe) inside the protection of your front screen door. Ride a monster wheelie right through the screen and off the porch. Then, make straight for the trail you intend to ride. Once you get there, maintain a constant forward motion preferably as fast as you can ride. Continue at this pace for the duration of the ride, making sure to NEVER stop for ANY reason. Gotta go #1... no need to dismount.. just wait for that long downhill stretch and let 'er rip like a good old-fashioned stage-racer. Gotta go #2.. well... should thoughta that before crashing through the screen door. Again, the trick is to never give 'em a taste of fresh blood. So keep riding as fast as you can. If you absolutely have to stop before you get back and board up the front door, make sure you are completely submerged in either water, or mud. Remember, the trick is to prevent the little bastards from ever getting a taste.

If we all do this for long enough, natural selection will get rid of all the nasties that have acquired a taste for bikerblood, and no one will have to ever use any kind of government-regulated petrochemical repellent again! So beef up that metabolism, strengthen that heart, and give those bloodthirsty bastards a run for it!!

Also, they like darker colors (i heard 'em whisperin). So wear a white t-shirt and they will be less attracted to you, AND you can have that cool mud-roost up yer back at the end of the ride ;p

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I reckon we gotta get these 2 above VT riders in on one 'ov our rides. Or maybe we jest gotta get on one 'ov their rides. It's been about a year since we got our own regional forum and that's how this all started. The time is near where we re-new our relationships which started with a ride a Bear Brook here in NH. I'm thinking this year we could start out season of big group rides off in....maybe VT? Some place that is off the wall from where the normal groups rides would be...Aggie, HP, BB, FOMBA, FT what?... you know what I mean. Why not, if he or she agrees let Ullrite layout the first group ride of the season?

Ok, first forum ride of the season, who's got the goods. Forums of ME, NH and VT with riders around the world!

·
112 Posts
Who, this could be trouble...

I'm not too edumucated on the trails in Vermont. Who knows where I'll lead ya! I have a few trails that I'm working on establishing in my area, but they are still very limited in length and are more DH/FR than anything else. The XC trails near me are still under snow or deeeeep sogggggy mudd. The trails at Killington, which are 15min. from me are still closed to biking, and rightfully so since they are still snowy/muddy too. (not to mention way over ridden and repaired with... gravel, ech!)

We could always look to the guys up at Green Mountain in Rochester, VT who have an awesome trail system complete with landowner permission. They usually do Sunday morning rides and Thurs. evening rides. I have yet to check on the conditions there, but I'd guess they are still draining too. Bit of a drive for anyone as well.

The KTA sez they are opening on 4/30, depending on conditions. They have a trail maintenance day every first sunday of the month, and I was hopeing on helpin them out with that at some point this summer. I can't remember the name of the trail, but you ride from the bike shop, across the little road, up the washed out hill, hang a left, ride up and down, then up again and you are at the top of the *****inest trail i've ever seen. It has the endless linked bank turns on hardpack soil with the ditch gapper part way down and ends with a waterbar jump with a run out to the trail u ride up on. Yea, that one is definitely callin me back for more.. hehe. Or.. mebbe we should make the first group ride a mutually beneficial gathering??? Know of any other trail maintenance/ride days elsewhere? Mebbe closer to the Junction of I89 and Rt.4?

I dunno. I'm only gettin back into riding. I took 5yrs off when I trashed my 1989 Redline HT and wasn't impressed with the new bikes. Now bikes are way better. I've been back fer 2 yrs and am still finding the best places 2 ride...

Always lookin for new trails to test my OTB maneuvers on...

·
112 Posts
also, i'll reply to myself...

Mebbe I should mention that my usual riding partner is 'Tater Dog. I only ride with other humans on occasion, so I can't promise I would behave in a group setting. :p hehe

(some ppl find it weird when we stop to roll around in a nice deep mudhole)

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I'm in the " not so far" from VT section of NH. Someday, somewhere there needs to be a VT presence at a group ride. Home or away game makes no difference to me. Our rides are mellow at the back, where I always end up.

·
112 Posts
I don't mind a little hard ridin...

minkhiller said:
I'm in the " not so far" from VT section of NH. Someday, somewhere there needs to be a VT presence at a group ride. Home or away game makes no difference to me. Our rides are mellow at the back, where I always end up.
I don't mind a little hard ridin, heck, I rode my 35+lb'er up 2200 to Killington peak on a weekly basis last summer. But I'm definitely not in the race-ready cat. either lol I'll keep an eye on the VT,NH,ME posts and let u guys know if I have a ride I'm puttin together or can get over to a NH ride. I've never hit any of those trails yet... I'll be lookin fer partners since my bro is movin out to be a State Park ranger, which means 1 day off a week for him. I could never do that to my bike, especially if I was on an IH SGS like he is... hehe

Do you guys go up to KT often? I went twice last summer and really want to go more often. Plus I have VACA days to use up finally! YAY!!!

·
customized
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Group ride with a authentic Vermonter? OMG! I say we get something going in the waterbury area. The problem here is getting the Maine and our single Mass guy to come along. I know YoGreg would rock out a Waterbury ride though.

I would jump for joy if we had a KTA group ride. Again, it would be nearly impossible to get the Maine guys up there.

Louis

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I thought this freekin rain was going to be over by now. Just looked at the doppler radar and it looks to be done in a hour to hour and a half. Maybe a road ride if things dry out later.

·
customized
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
minkhiller said:
I thought this freekin rain was going to be over by now. Just looked at the doppler radar and it looks to be done in a hour to hour and a half. Maybe a road ride if things dry out later.
Yes, the Saber will be getting a workout later today. Watch out all you wet staircases and knarly curbs. lol.

·
Back on the wagon
1,091 Posts
Severum said:
Group ride with a authentic Vermonter? OMG! I say we get something going in the waterbury area. The problem here is getting the Maine and our single Mass guy to come along. I know YoGreg would rock out a Waterbury ride though.

I would jump for joy if we had a KTA group ride. Again, it would be nearly impossible to get the Maine guys up there.

Louis
I live on the NH/ME border, and I'll make it to KT dammit!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.