Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
BLS439
529 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
Just installed this tasty bit to my Blur. Amazing how much lighter it is, and allegedly stiffer also.
Dusty,

Was that a replacement part or did you buy it? How was it to install?

--BLS439

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BLS439 said:
Dusty,

Was that a replacement part or did you buy it? How was it to install?

--BLS439
I bought it to replace the standard link. It's very easy to install once you understand that you will not be using the upper axle at all, and that the outside of the upper bearing will be visible. All the hardware is included, and you just gotta make sure that the curved side of the link is facing up. I actually kinda wondered if you could fit a longer shock in there with the curved side facing down, but figured it would mess up the vpp sweet spot etc.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Cool everyones been saying that isn't possible. Whaddit' cost? LT or XC link? Did you hold the old and new links together to make sure the holes where in the same spot?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
Just installed this tasty bit to my Blur. Amazing how much lighter it is, and allegedly stiffer also.
Somebody's got money burning a hole in their pocket. Too bad XL Nomads will never get built-damit!

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Hmmmm...........

screamingbunny said:
Cool everyones been saying that isn't possible. Whaddit' cost? LT or XC link? Did you hold the old and new links together to make sure the holes where in the same spot?
- I must have missed that Thread, I've known it's been doable for months. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where did you get the link from and what does it cost. You will also have to give us your riding impressions of it.

·
Village Dirtbag
2,283 Posts
How much in $ and grams? Also, try the macro mode on your camera (button with the little flower picture on it) if you want to focus on your link rather than your pedal.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
$50 ordered directly from SC. I don't have a digital scale and didn't weigh it at the LBS, sorry. I didn't ask for an XC or LT link, I ordered a link for a Classic Blur. I would guess that it's the link made for an LT, and that the LT has a longer stroke shock, and different shock mount placement.

Thanks for the camera tip, borrowed camera. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Push AVA?

I bought the Ti link and a bearing kit a couple of weeks ago. Waiting to install it hopefully this week. Is that a Pushed Fox AVA? If so how do you like it? I currently am trying a Fox RP3 and it is a nice shox. I don't know if it is the VPP or what but the stable platform of the RP3 makes the bike seem really stiff. I have been wondering about Pushing my existing AVA. A friend just Pushed his Fox Float 100 RLC and loves it. He said it really is a much better fork.

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
Is that link really supposed to be more stiff?? Or is it supposed to be *less* stiff, and therefore won't crack? I believe that Ti gives more than Al, and that part doesn't look designed to be stiff.
Furthermore, I've heard that some of the old links have cracked on older Blurs (classic blurs being ridden a little beyond their intended usage, that is).

I have the old link on my 4x... no issues with it so far.

thanks
-r

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bbalka said:
I bought the Ti link and a bearing kit a couple of weeks ago. Waiting to install it hopefully this week. Is that a Pushed Fox AVA? If so how do you like it? I currently am trying a Fox RP3 and it is a nice shox. I don't know if it is the VPP or what but the stable platform of the RP3 makes the bike seem really stiff. I have been wondering about Pushing my existing AVA. A friend just Pushed his Fox Float 100 RLC and loves it. He said it really is a much better fork.
Yes it is a Push'd AVA and it rides great. They have a special vpp valving kit that they installed but I'm not sure I feel much difference in performance. You see, I'm a believer that the suspension design should do as much of the platform work as possible, so I'm surprised that the rp3 isn't feeling great(assuming you have it set on easiest platform). I have actually been surfing ebay for an rp3 to save a little weight and ride what is "supposed to be" the latest and greatest shock. I might be interested in a test ride trade, if you are.

I have sent quite a few products to Push with varying results. I was first attracted to their services by their extremely fast turnaround times. Recently they moved to Colorado which adds a couple days to that time, and I'm sure they are busier too. I sent my DHX to Fox last month for service and was impressed by their 5 business day turnaround. Anyway, Push does good work, and backs their service 100%.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rpet said:
Is that link really supposed to be more stiff?? Or is it supposed to be *less* stiff, and therefore won't crack? I believe that Ti gives more than Al, and that part doesn't look designed to be stiff.
Furthermore, I've heard that some of the old links have cracked on older Blurs (classic blurs being ridden a little beyond their intended usage, that is).

I have the old link on my 4x... no issues with it so far.

thanks
-r
My Blur is a first run, and yes I cracked the original upper link in 3 places. The replacement for it showed no signs of cracking. Stiffer link = less flex = no cracks.

This ti link is a totally different animal, hard to compare the two.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi Dusty!

The RP3 (for the blur) is not as light as you are led to believe. I picked one up for my blur a few months back and weighed it there at the shop. I was disappointed when the scale read 275 grams when I was expecting more like 200. (Maybe cause the blur has a long eye to eye or something). Whatever. It still works better than the 5th air I replaced, so I'm stoked about that. But, I wouldnt recommend buying an RP3 just to drop a couple grams.

Keep us posted on the Blur Link you just got. That does look like a cool upgrade if it is stiff like you say.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts