Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all!
So here's the deal.. I ride the original model Superfly which I love more than any other bike i've ever ridden. Sadly due to its old age and extreme use I beginning to feel like it might be time to replace it.. So i was thinking of having a Custom Ti Superfly built up! Of course i'd want to add a couple things like a 142 rear and a tapered head tube if it doesn't raise the front end.. but anyways the issue I think i'm going to run into is that the Superfly uses a G2 fork and i would like to use a standard fork just because that's what i'd like to use if it's possible.. but that's the problem is it possible? I want to retain the original characteristics but is that only possible with a G2 fork? maybe it just takes a certain head tube angle or something I wouldn't know i'm not a frame builder.. anyways hope someone could help it would be most appreciated :D

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have had a couple of G2 geometry Trek's in both hardtail and FS and have used non G2 forks with them. The difference is so minimal I don't think you will notice. I honestly could not tell any difference but I ride in Michigan and the trails are not super tight here.

·
Registered
15,131 Posts
Trek has made changes to the Superfly you may like, especially the carbon 9.6-9.8 models. And those have a lifetime warranty on the frame. You should demo one. The steering is faster with shorter 435mm chainstays and curved seat tube. The compliance is pretty unique now that the road bike engineering group has been involved. Soaks up the bumps but keeps the trail feel. It will take a very talented ti builder to match or better that.
There are other options. G2 is 51mm offset. Manitou offers the 14 Marvel Pro 100mm in 51mm offset and the other versions in 48mm. The Marvel Comp is the same as the current Tower Pro, also 48mm.

·
Super Moderator
6,803 Posts
Agree with eb1888.....buy the new Superfly instead. The process of planning, fitting, designing and building a titanium frameset is gonna be insanely expensive.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
You do realise that what was "G2" back when the SF was released is pretty much the norm these days as far as offset goes right? Far as I know "G2" used a 51mm offset when normal offset was 38mm, these days "normal" offset is 46-48mm and 51mm is easily available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.