Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
American Made!
Joined
·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice....
I am contemplating going for a Ti SS frame, anyone have any experience rolling Ti ala one gear?
Is is worth it? I realize I can get a complete steel, scandium or aluminum rig but my better half said to "check it out".
I've been ssing for almost a decade, been on all sorts of brands, just thinking to finally get the "one".
It is not going to be a inexpensive set-up but it will be custom, so that would be cool. Thanks in advance for the advice.
 

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
Joined
·
4,162 Posts
Dig around via search on this forum and the 29er forum for: Badger, Black Sheep, Desalvo, Strong (I think he does Ti) you'll find some wonderful stuff.
 

·
That's gonna leave a mark
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
My Ti IF SS:



I also ride a steel IF SS:

The Ti bike is definitely the "one" I've been waiting for, but that also has to do the with part spec. She's amazingly responsive on the trail.

That being said, the steel bike has a unique ride quality that the Ti bike can't match. I'm beginning to wonder what the steel ride would be like with a comparable build.
 

·
Got Mojo?
Joined
·
1,190 Posts
My next bike will be steel.

Upchuck said:
That being said, the steel bike has a unique ride quality that the Ti bike can't match. I'm beginning to wonder what the steel ride would be like with a comparable build.
I recently switched geared bikes. I went from a steel IF frame to a Ti IF frame. My first ride on Ti.

While I love my bike, I miss the steel. I think you summed it up with your statement.
 

·
Single Speed Junkie
Joined
·
3,116 Posts
Ti SS yeah they are nice. Although always curious how a steel version would ride in comparison. IF your after durability and never wanting to worry about rust then the choice is fairly clear, but if you switch out frames every few years then steel may be a batter choice.
 

Attachments

·
- factotum -
Joined
·
821 Posts
For one time I rode this:

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim

Ti-Bolt


And it worked great. You might want a strong downtube and chainstays for singlespeeding.

So Ti frames can be built as strong as steel or aluminum. You don't need to worry about this. Pick the tube dimensions and the builder well!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
934 Posts
Upchuck said:
My Ti IF SS:



I also ride a steel IF SS:

The Ti bike is definitely the "one" I've been waiting for, but that also has to do the with part spec. She's amazingly responsive on the trail.

That being said, the steel bike has a unique ride quality that the Ti bike can't match. I'm beginning to wonder what the steel ride would be like with a comparable build.
Upchuck, love that chainring!! I have a set of the Middleburn 180mm ISIS cranks (they the same as yours?)

What is the chainring, is it a boone?
 

·
That's gonna leave a mark
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
ryan123 said:
Upchuck, love that chainring!! I have a set of the Middleburn 180mm ISIS cranks (they the same as yours?)

What is the chainring, is it a boone?
I'm running the same cranks, but with a square taper Phil Wood Ti BB. The ring is a Boone. It took a little while, but it was worth the eye candy. Should be plenty durable and I'll always have the Middleburn ring as backup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,565 Posts
All else being equal, Ti can be a nice finishing touch on a dream bike. However, I think having fit and parts spec dialed is more important than frame material. My Karate Monkey frame and fork felt much better to me than my Ti frame/Pace fork, despite being at least 5 pounds heavier. The larger wheels made the majority of the difference, but I also built it a year later and had a much better idea of how to set it up for my riding style. Since you are going custom and it sounds like you have plenty of experience, this should not be an issue for you.

Personally, I'm not sure I notice enough difference in bikes of different materials to really justify the price differences. If money is no object, great. But I wouldn't recommend sacrificing in other areas just for a Ti frame.
 

Attachments

·
Evil Jr.
Joined
·
6,859 Posts
Soon, very soon!



Technically speaking, it will be a dingle. Merry Xmas to me! :D
 

·
Known Mountainbiker
Joined
·
873 Posts
Rigid Ti SS

As far as rigid singlespeeds go; titanuim is cheating.

caz
 

·
Got Mojo?
Joined
·
1,190 Posts
crux said:
Ti SS yeah they are nice. Although always curious how a steel version would ride in comparison. IF your after durability and never wanting to worry about rust then the choice is fairly clear, but if you switch out frames every few years then steel may be a batter choice.

Since you have an IF.....

All the tubes are sealed, exept the headtube and the seat tube.

Keep framesaver well applied and you can ride it for 20+ years in the wettest of the wet conditions with no worries about rust.


IF Bikes said:
Required Maintenance

Each time the frame has been exposed to wet conditions, or at least every 3 months, the following procedure should be followed for IF steel frames:

1. Remove the seat post and leave the bicycle upside down over night so that the seat tube can drain and dry. This is best done in a warm and dry environment. Bikes which are routinely hung by their front wheel for storage have the fewest incidents of rust.
2. Before reinserting the seat post, spray a generous amount of, "J. P. Weigle's FRAME SAVER" or its equivalent into the seat tube. Cover the opening and agitate the frame to insure that the Frame Saver covers all of the inside of the seat tube.
3. Apply a light layer of grease to the seat post before you install it in the frame.
4. Bikes which are routinely hung on a wall hook by the front wheel tend not to have seat tube rust problems as the water has an opportunity to run out while the bike is not being used.
 

·
American Made!
Joined
·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all for the feedback!
Upchuck, that IF Ti rig of yours is killer!
Looks like the "boss",my wife, is giving me the green light:thumbsup: . It will be a custom fit and paint job, I am calling in my specs later this week.
I am planning on riding it rigid, I am currently rolling a Bianchi PUSS with a Pace RC31 in the front for a little carbon "squish".
Any more ideas or thoughts let me know.
 

·
That's gonna leave a mark
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
1x1clyde said:
Thanks all for the feedback!
Upchuck, that IF Ti rig of yours is killer!
Looks like the "boss",my wife, is giving me the green light:thumbsup: . It will be a custom fit and paint job, I am calling in my specs later this week.
I am planning on riding it rigid, I am currently rolling a Bianchi PUSS with a Pace RC31 in the front for a little carbon "squish".
Any more ideas or thoughts let me know.
Congrats on the greenlight from the wife, 1x1Clyde! So what builder are you going with?

I was in the exact same place as you just a few months ago. Then she finally said "It's time." Man, I was on cloud nine! First I got to go down to the LBS and have a custom fitting/measurements session. Nothing like getting the full treatment in a bikeshop.

Then we discussed the component spec piece by piece. I was sure about everything until it came down to the post and stem. I almost went Moots on those, but in the end I decided to go with Thomson. They've always been bomb proof for me in the past. Can't go wrong. Besides, last time I waited for a Moots stem/post, it took longer than the frame!

Then the long, agonizing wait for the frame. It arrived just in time for the Mt SAC race. That was my first Sport race and first SS race. All I can say is she was amazing.

I agree with you on the Pace31. I have one on my rigid and couldn't be happier. Unless you want a color matched steel fork. Then I'd go with the builder's fork.

If I could make one recommendation, go with the Middleburn cranks. They are a sexy crankset and have a LIFETIME warranty against defects in materials or workmanship, which covers competitive DH, trials and jumping!
 

·
American Made!
Joined
·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like I am going with the guys from Lynskey - they are the ones that started Litespeed- I chatted with them at Interbike this year and I must say, its cool to talk with Mark Lynskey to discuss "your" needs/wants on the frame plus Jessie that works there is a rockstar SSer and he is helping me pull it together.
I wish I would not have missed the Mt.Sac race, I've heard good things about it. I raced the majority of the socal series races, Rim Nordic and the Temecula stuff but being my first year in socal I tried hitting everything....not such a good idea!
I have Thomson on all my other rigs so i'll keep that, I am currently using Race Face Next SL carbon riser bars and really like those.
I was thinking of holding out until the Mr. Whirly cranks come out from Surly this spring.
For hoops I use DT 240S hubs and Mavic 819 disc rims....not sure on the brakes yet, I 've been using Avid since the start so most likely no reason to change.
I do love those Middleburn cranks though!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,657 Posts
1x1clyde said:
Looks like I am going with the guys from Lynskey - they are the ones that started Litespeed- I chatted with them at Interbike this year and I must say, its cool to talk with Mark Lynskey to discuss "your" needs/wants on the frame plus Jessie that works there is a rockstar SSer and he is helping me pull it together.
I traded emails with Jesse today. I was looking for their least expensive Ti frame in 29er format. Unfortunately, it sounds like they only offer 29ers in full custom. I guess they haven't decided on production geo numbers for 29ers yet. Too bad, because I like the price of their "110 houseblend" frames...
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top