Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a Ti spring for my rear shock to save some weight and cuz they are a bit more responsive (accord. to May 05 Decline mag, in stores now). I just have a couple questions. My rear shock is a Push Industries modified Vanilla R with a 800 x 1.83 spring, 6.75" e2e and 1.75 stroke. I'm wondering:

1 - Is the 800 the lbs it takes to compress it one inch? the whole way? 1.83"s?
2 - The 1.83 is supposed to be close to your stroke, correct? My stroke is 1.75". Is it ok to use a 800 x 2.00 if I can find one used or do I really need to stay with a 1.83". Is the 1.83 a tighter coil or something.?
3 - Anyone know where the cheapest new Ti springs are sold?
4 - If the 800 x 2.00 is indeed a looser coil than the 800 x 1.83 could I run like a 900 x 2.00 to get a similar feel to the 800 x 1.83 as long as it fits on my shock?

If someone could generally explain how the spring sizing works that'd be swell.
Thanks!

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
dandurston said:
I'm thinking about getting a Ti spring for my rear shock to save some weight and cuz they are a bit more responsive (accord. to May 05 Decline mag, in stores now). I just have a couple questions. My rear shock is a Push Industries modified Vanilla R with a 800 x 1.83 spring, 6.75" e2e and 1.75 stroke. I'm wondering:

1 - Is the 800 the lbs it takes to compress it one inch? the whole way? 1.83"s?
2 - The 1.83 is supposed to be close to your stroke, correct? My stroke is 1.75". Is it ok to use a 800 x 2.00 if I can find one used or do I really need to stay with a 1.83". Is the 1.83 a tighter coil or something.?
3 - Anyone know where the cheapest new Ti springs are sold?
4 - If the 800 x 2.00 is indeed a looser coil than the 800 x 1.83 could I run like a 900 x 2.00 to get a similar feel to the 800 x 1.83 as long as it fits on my shock?

If someone could generally explain how the spring sizing works that'd be swell.
Thanks!
1 - According to Fox's web site, 800 would be the amount of force needed to compress the spring one inch.
2 - Yes, 1.83 is the recommended stroke for that spring. Don't use anything else than that specific stoke length spring. If you get a spring for a longer stroke, your shock will bottom out before the spring fully compresses and you will damage the shock. If you get a spring for a shorter stroke, the spring will be fully compressed before you get the full travel out of the rear of the bike.
3 - It depends on what size you're looking for. Try The Path in Tustin, CA; H & S bikes in Arcadia(I think), CA; and go-ride.com
4 - No. As I said in #2, don't use anything else than that speficif stroke length spring.

Have fun!

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
I was browsing looking for the inner diameter for a Fox spring but couldn't resist posting....

1.- According to laws of physics... yes, 800 ln is what it takes to compress the shock 1". This is called spring rate. The spring rates varies a little depending on how compressed is the spring so it's considered linear for coil springs.

2.- 1.87 is the maximum compression travel of the spring. It's gotta be higher than your shock stroke, otherwise you got coil binding which is not pleasant at all (imagine the shock compressing at high speed in a landing and suddenly the coils close completely one against each other forming a solid bulk of metal....). A 2.00 would not hurt IF YOUR SHOCK CAN ACCOMODATE IT. Measure first how far back can the preload ring can go and measure. Your total spring leght (different than the number printed on the shock!!!)should not be longer than that.

3.- NFI (No Freaking Idea)

4.- Could be... Depends more on preload. If you preload a 800-1.87 and a 800-2.0, 2.0 turns, the spring rate is nearly the same. The theory behind it is that you need less preload on a higher rate spring to get the same sag, this "soften" the spring rate at the early beginning of the stroke but don't get fooled... these are coil psrings, not air springs: The difference would not be that much. If you want to reduce preload get a 850. The 900 might be too stiff.

Now if you can tell me the inner Diameter of a Fox Vanilla spring at 7.5X2.0.... I would thank you a lot...

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
3) 200 dollars is the going rate on a Ti-Spring....Find a racer buddy or someone in the biz to save a little more

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.