Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Ti spring installed on my DHX2 and noticed it doesn't seat evenly and seems to be a little crooked. The preload collar stops spinning about 5mm before it contacts the spring. I emailed Ti-springs and was told this is normal depending on who made the spring for them. They said to sit on the bike to compress the shock and get it seated, but I still can't turn the preload collar or tell how much preload is on the spring. Has anyone dealt with this before? That seems like a BS answer and I would expect the spring to be wound straight for what they charge. I'm tempted to send it back to them.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
If you aren't happy send it back. My friend and I each have a RCS coil spring and they are both flat. RCS makes their own springs just south of Seattle. Retail is just under $300.

Funny how that sort of deformation is acceptable to them but any steel spring out there is straight. If that were a Fox steel spring you'd get a replacement without any push back.

Tisprings should be more than happy to take care of you, just sounds like they sourced a wonky spring. Not their fault but I'd request that they test fit the replacement, if they don't have any springs that are straight look elsewhere.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sent them a message, so I'll see what they say. I don't really want to wait another 4 months for a new spring, but I would rather have one that is wound straight. I'll look into RCS if I need to. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Yeah I'm sure they'll take care of you. If you know the weight length and diameter you can always look for used. I know there are usually done available on Pinkbike or eBay. Just name sure it's got the RCS stamp. Other option is a fox SLS steel spring

Sounds like there is very little quality control at the manufacturer and obviously the same at the retail level. You're just rolling the dice with generic ti springs and the wait is most likely due to the fact that there is little to no retail stock. So no chance to do qc, they receive it and it's back in the mail to you.

Great business model if you have a reliable source, doesn't seem to be the case with this spring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.