Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ti spring for a CCDB on my Nomad C

4K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  cuore di tenebra 
#1 ·
I've just dropped a CCDB onto my Nomad C, but I think it needs a stonger spring. Currently its got a 450 DSP ti spring but I want to try a 500lb. Question is - can anyone tell me who manufactures ti springs that work with CCDB in 2.5/8.5 500lb? Ideally looking for retailers in the UK.

#3 ·
Looks like you can only buy a 3" or 3.5" Ti spring from CaneCreek. I would recommend a DSP spring over the NukeProof.

Here is a pretty interesting article at Sicklines comparing the printed vs. measured spring rates of various manufactures. They only compare steel springs, but DSP did very well.

- correction, they tested a DSP Ti spring, printed was 200lbs and tested was 201lbs. Not too shabby!

Cheers.

#4 ·
Thanks PG. Ibn my desperation I've ordered a new steel Cane Creek spring in 500 lb weight to see if it sets the shock up correctly. If it does then I might sell the 450 ti DSP spring that i've got, as well as a 400lb steel and a 450lb steel, and put the money towards a new ti coil. I've emailed Nukeproof to see what they recommend. I think I'll do the same with DSP.

#5 ·
Good luck getting a 500 x 2.5 from DSP...they are out of stock. I have been trying to get one from them since January. And unless you find a used one, you can't get that size in a TI spring from CC either. I tried! I ended up ordering a 500 x 2.75 ti spring from CC yesterday, and it was the last one they had. I would go for an RCS...I saw one for ~$240 yesterday at one of the online retailers...can't remember which one.

#7 ·
thanks for the postings Nugsy. I've received my new 500lb steel Cane Creek coil today from TF Tuned. As for a ti coil, I'm wondering if a Nukeproof Vivid ti coil will work. It seems to have a much larger internal diameter (38m as opposed to 36.3mm). Chainreaction have 500lb versions in stock but they're bloody pricey at $345!! Think I might just go for lighter tyres:)

#9 ·
The CCDB feels sooo much more plush than the RP23 that i had on the bike before. I set the CCDB up with the factory suggested settings to start with but found the low speed compresion too strong so have backed that off. I now get very good small bump compliance without too much bobbing as you pedal. I have to say also that the CCDB seems to just work better and better the harder and faster you hit things.

I've just received a 500lb steel coil to replace the 450ib ti coil so i'll be fitting that tonight. This is a marked weight penalty though with the steel spring over the ti. the new spring itself weighs in at over 500g and together with the shock itself must bring the total weight up to about 850g or so ~(way heavier than the sub 400g RP23!!).

#10 ·
Will a 2.75 ti-spring fit a 8.5x 2.5 CCDB on a Nomad C? I am looking for a 300 x 2.5 ti-spring but I can only find a 350 x 2.5 ti-spring which will be too firm for me or a 300 x 2.75 ti-spring where I am not sure if it will be too long. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

#11 · (Edited)
The only suitable for the titanium spring on CCDB Nomad Carbon are the RCS, 8'5 "x 2'5" x1'43 "ID but they are nowhere to be found. Try to find go-ride.com. I'm looking at all the world( not available) but can not find the right size

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=725184

For me, if you use a steel spring to 450lbs, you should use a titanium spring 450 lbs too. The lbs are the same, does not depend on the type of material. To me, 500 lbs is for a rider who weighs at least 100 kg (220 lbs) I am 90 kg (198lbs) and use a spring from the 400

#14 ·
Thanks a lot - even though these springs are too firm for my weight. I just found out, that the Obtainium springs with 3.00 inch stroke do also fit dampers with 2.5 stroke.:

What stroke lengths will an Obtainium spring 3.0 fit?
An Obtainium spring is approximately 6 inches long (152.4mm) and will fit most 2.5 to 3.0 stroke dampers (shocks). A good way to determine if your damper will accept an Obtainium spring is to measure the free length of your current steel spring without any load and if it is longer than 6 inches or 152.2 mm it will take an Obtainium spring.

http://www.obtainiumperformanceproducts.com/faq.php

The tricky thing is to get such a spring, as they are nearly everywhere sold out...

#15 ·
I tried to get an Obtanium 400lb x 3in spring to fit my 8.5 x 2.5 CCDB. The problem is you need to use an adaptor each end of the spring to take the ID down fron 1.5in to the CCDB 1.43in. The adaptors add about 6-7mm to the length of the spring making it to long to fit the CCDB.

K9 industries have some new Ti springs that may fir but I have not got one yet.

Cheers
Parksie

#17 ·
I have 375,400 and 475 all 3in. If you don't use the adaptors the spring can move laterally and will damage the piggy back reservoir. Obtanium springs were designed to fit every shock body diameter including the vivid which is 1.5in. For smaller diameter shock bodies you need to use the spacers which makes the overall length too big for an 8.5 x 2.5 CCDB. Unlees thay have started making them in a narrow ID they won't fit unless you use 5-10mm of pre load which is far too much.

Parksie

#19 ·
Gobble Gobble

Does anyone else suffer with the 'gobble gobble' sound from the spring rubbing on the black protective sheath, especially when the shock gets dirty?

My last few rides have been in rain and mud and i end up getting this anoying reverb noise coming from the spring rubbing the black protector. I'm considering cutting/carefully removing the sheath to gain a little extra space. Has anyone else tried this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.