Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeing TI Spindles on Ebay that fit the 959's from Action-tec. Has Anybody tried them? Are they machined well and are they stiff enough? I'm 165lbs and ride xc-all mountian. I'm planning on running 959's for the foreseeable future and was thinking of shedding a few grams....

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
205 Posts
I used these in the past. One spindle broak within 500km. I think the balls from the bearing reduces the spindle diameter fast, and in this way weaken the spindles. I went for the XTR pedals instead. The 959 with Ti spindles where 300gram. The XTR are 315gram I believe.

·
Registered
371 Posts
used them on my xtr pedals, have worked good, only one problem, when i whant to take them off the bike after lets say 1-2 month, it´s REALY hard to get them off, even if i have used ALOT of copparpaste or grease on them when mounting. on the last crankset i had, i had to use heat to get them off. don´t know if this has to do with that it´s titanium or the construktion of it.

xtr with these spindles = 289 grams.

think i will go back to the standrad xtr steel spindle, most becouse i´m afraid that if i´m not switch back the the steel spidle, i will have to heat upp the new crankset to when i whant to take the pedal off the bike.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I don't know about those the 959s or xtr's, but the ti spindle on my candy Ti's lasted about 3 full seasons. At that point, there was noticeable wear beyond what I thought was safe. Back to steel for now. I never had any issues with the spindle locking to the crank arm. Always used a light coat of park general purpose green grease.

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
When installing titanium you need to use anti-seize lubricant to prevent cold-welding, galling and seizing of the threaded bolts. You can get the small packets from the titanium bolt dealers but the best thing to do is to go to the auto parts store and get a big jar of anti-seize. It comes with a nice application brush and will last you forever. My XTR pedals weigh 326.2 grams on my very accurate scale.

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
so copperpaste woun´t be any good? what i have heard, that should work to. and should it "cold-weld" so fast as in one month?

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
Yes, the copperpaste should be fine, it is also anti-seize, had to look it up online. "High temperature anti-seize lubricant containing copper powder and a mixture of solid lubricants.", used by other fellow knee draggers :D

The Action Tech tolerances for the thread cuts might be a bit off causing the issue? Ti is pretty tough to cut for threads, try taking a hack saw to it sometime, is a pain to work with.

·
TranceX Rider
948 Posts
Sorry but I can't help not to ask so to be certain though a bit noob when I get to ask this, would this (anti-seize) means for titanium cogs as well? Since they're more likely exposed to the elements... Pardon me if I'm missing something else here, Gram.

TIA!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts