Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
HMFIC
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of gathering components for a Ti 29'er hardtail project that will be going together in late February if all goes according to my eeeeevil plan. I'm kicking around the idea of going with a Ti seatpost to help with overall perceived ride quality. Any suggestions on folks who've experimented with a Moots or Dean Ti seatpost for the same reasons?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Moots..

I use Moots Ti seatposts on my bike/s. Great posts. You need to have a fair bit of post sticking out of the frame to get the benefit of the Ti "flex" though.

If you get it right, and match it up with a good saddle, then it sure does help to make the ride on a HT a lot 'softer'.

R.

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
I use a Kent Eriksen Ti seatpost and have to say that it is awesome. It's a layback and definitely provides a little cush back there. It also has a really trick head on it. I want another one for my other bike!

·
HMFIC
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the replies. It seems like a layback post would offer even more compliance than a straight seatpost, since there would be more angle on the seatpost tube. Depending on how my geometry works out, I may try a Moots layback.

cocheese - How should I try to reach Kent for more info on his seatpost? Do you have a pic of your post that you can post here or email? I'll shoot you a PM with my email address.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a moots and my only complaint is that it was a bastard to get my saddle on there - which makes it doubly lucky there is no way I want to take the post or the saddle (Brooks Swift) off any time soon. Really beautifully finished posts and they definitely flex.

As to whether they actually flex more than the same length and diameter Al pos would I can't say, but I've certainly got more faith that it'll hold up under such repeated stress - I've broken seatposts before - not fun - it's a pain to ride home standing up all the way, or even worse could happen....
thanks to colorado triathlete said:
Czech triathlete Jan Rehula won the bronze medal in the inaugural Olympic Triathlon in Sydney. Then in January he was out on a training ride when his (carbon!) seatpost broke and as he went down he was impaled in the back. He lost so much blood he almost died and spent a week in intensive care after surgery...... Not only has he recovered but he placed fifth at Ironman Switzerland in August and completed the Hawaii Ironman with a 2:56 marathon.
Sam

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
I own a Moots and a Dean post and have broken them both. The Dean post actually broke twice. It bent once to the point it was creasing and the head came loose of the shaft on another. Both were replaced by Dean under warrantee but only after a lot of phone calls and e-mails I broke a Moots post in half about a month ago, Moots replaced it within a week with a little note of apology. I love the way a TI post rides theirs certainly a comfort difference, but I think I’m sticking to Thomson post for the MTB for now on. FYI I am a 190lb both posts where long and had allot of extension and I’m generally hard on bike equipment.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have a Moots laid back post and an old American Classic ti post. The Moots is beautiful but I agree with others regarding installation/removal of the seat. It's a real PITA. The American classic has the most simple head and easy micro adjustment. It's much cheaper but I'm not sure if you can find them anymore? I'm about 230 lbs and my AC has lasted me about 5 years. The Moots is only a year old or so but very nice.

I saw some photos of the Kent Erickson posts and they look really cool. As I recall he uses Chris King top caps to secure the saddle. Not sure how it works but it looks really bling. Mr. Erickson founded Moots and his workmanship is second to no one.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,489 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I think set back only work for those that actually place there seat that way out of preference. I have a layback Moots (2nd hand) and don't expect it to help any more than a straight one, as I'll have to slide my seat forward on it anyway.

·
HMFIC
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got off the phone with the folks at Eriksen and should have some pics of the new post design in the next day or two. I'll post them back here in this thread if folks are interested. Sounds like a cool design.

·
TomOneTi
218 Posts
I have 2 BlackSheep Ti posts. One straight and one layback. Both work well and I think they add to the suspension effect. The tabs have a tendency to bend when tightening and wil not torque to Thomson specs but so far they work fine and the micro adjust is nice. They are lighter than a similar size Thomsons. I also have an Ericksen layback on the way.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.