Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a TI RX. The rear triangle is made of aluminum and it always seems to look tarnished and dull. I have polished with Mothers, but it doesnt seem to last very long before it tarnished again. Is there anyway to seal it up after polishing or is there anyone else out there that has this problem and found a solution?

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
rickm said:
I own a TI RX. The rear triangle is made of aluminum and it always seems to look tarnished and dull. I have polished with Mothers, but it doesnt seem to last very long before it tarnished again. Is there anyway to seal it up after polishing or is there anyone else out there that has this problem and found a solution?
I have a polished FS frame. You can take it apart and polish it out on a polishing wheel. You use commercial stick polishing compound, and it looks new again. I touch mine up once a month with liquid polishing compound. It's quick, and it works well. I polished my frame 2 years ago. I repolished the rear when I changed the bearings. You can clear powder coat it after polishing, but after a while it looks dull and you can't repolish it. You can take it apart and have it polished also.

I also have a Ti Ht and love the no care finish.Wash and dry and it always looks good!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what if I apply a clear coat after polishing? i really dont want to have to polish it every month.

Quattro said:
I have a polished FS frame. You can take it apart and polish it out on a polishing wheel. You use commercial stick polishing compound, and it looks new again. I touch mine up once a month with liquid polishing compound. It's quick, and it works well. I polished my frame 2 years ago. I repolished the rear when I changed the bearings. You can clear powder coat it after polishing, but after a while it looks dull and you can't repolish it. You can take it apart and have it polished also.

I also have a Ti Ht and love the no care finish.Wash and dry and it always looks good!

·
Registered
804 Posts
rickm said:
what if I apply a clear coat after polishing? i really dont want to have to polish it every month.
You don't really have to... it won't hurt anything to let it get dull. I tear my bike down each winter and give it a quick polish at that time. I dunno. I say don't worry about it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
frank, i dont know where you live but here in Texas we ride year round, so I really dont want to tear it all down each winter. any other suggestions?

frank n. beans said:
You don't really have to... it won't hurt anything to let it get dull. I tear my bike down each winter and give it a quick polish at that time. I dunno. I say don't worry about it.

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
rickm said:
frank, i dont know where you live but here in Texas we ride year round, so I really dont want to tear it all down each winter. any other suggestions?
Here in SOCAL we ride all year long. My main frame looks great after over 2 years. The once a month quick polish takes about 15- 20 min. to do(entire frame), and the frame looks new again.If you don't want to hassle with that, it will simply look dull after a while(Yeti Raw). My bottom bracket area looks a little dull,but the rest of the frame looks good. You don't have to tear it down every year. It all depends on how you want it to look. Polished frames are simple to take care of and you can get out scratches easy. If you want a no hassle frame, you have to just ride it and forget how it looks. Powder coating dulls and chips after a while. Did you ever see scratched anodized frames and parts? I prefer polished over ball burnished also.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quattro, 15 or 20 minutes doesnt sound to bad. I have no problem with the main front triangle as it is TI and always looks great. The rear looks like it is just raw aluminum. I have polished it before, but it it is a tedious labor of love at best to get into all the little nooks and crannys. Tell me what your process is for getting it done in 15 to 20. Do you only do the most visible parts? What tool do you use? What polish?

Quattro said:
Here in SOCAL we ride all year long. My main frame looks great after over 2 years. The once a month quick polish takes about 15- 20 min. to do(entire frame), and the frame looks new again.If you don't want to hassle with that, it will simply look dull after a while(Yeti Raw). My bottom bracket area looks a little dull,but the rest of the frame looks good. You don't have to tear it down every year. It all depends on how you want it to look. Polished frames are simple to take care of and you can get out scratches easy. If you want a no hassle frame, you have to just ride it and forget how it looks. Powder coating dulls and chips after a while. Did you ever see scratched anodized frames and parts? I prefer polished over ball burnished also.

·
Registered
804 Posts
rickm said:
Yeah, ignore the tarnish. It doesn't hurt anything. I have heard that a coat of car wax on top will help protect the shine somewhat but I have never tried it. A complete teardown once in a while is nice for a full inspection / cleaning bushings / new cables too. Doesn't take that long.

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
rickm said:
Quattro, 15 or 20 minutes doesnt sound to bad. I have no problem with the main front triangle as it is TI and always looks great. The rear looks like it is just raw aluminum. I have polished it before, but it it is a tedious labor of love at best to get into all the little nooks and crannys. Tell me what your process is for getting it done in 15 to 20. Do you only do the most visible parts? What tool do you use? What polish?
I use a liquid metal polish called Concours(Albertsons). You simply wipe it on with a rag, and let it dry. Then you wipe it off. It chemically cleans the aluminum to a shiny finish. I don't worry about all the nooks and crannys. You just get all the polish off with a rag. Now if you really want it to look new again, then you take it apart and polish on a wheel. I get comments on how good it looks(Tracer). This system works for me.

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
rickm said:
Same with my Ti RX-100. The front-end looks as good as the day I unboxed it, but the rear looks tarnished. When I do get the chance, I buff-out the rear triangle with Mother's, etc., But, as you mentioned, the tarnish comes back in short order. I owned a ball-burnished GT Team LTS a few years back and that was a real pain to keep looking nice -- there is no way I'm going with another fully polished frame. At least with the Ti front-end, it's one less end to worry about.

For me, time is limited and any buffing time is likely taking away from riding/training time. So, I just leave the mud on and worry about the buffing until winter (up here in Canada, winters are long so there's lots of time). Just ride it! ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.