Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I like mud
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a Homebrewed set.

I like the colors I can get with Al but obviously Ti will last me longer.

Does anybody have any advice, other than aesthetics and price?

How long can an Al chainring last? I'm leaning towards the aluminum chainring with a matching Ti/Alu cog.

Would the Alu wear on the chainring cause any issues considering the cog would probably not wear as fast? Is this uneven wear ok?

I'd imagine that's a tiny issue but don't actually know.

·
Low Rep Count
2,959 Posts
I don't think it would be a problem having them mis-matched as you mentioned. Worst case is that the chainring starts to wear out and you have to take it off and flip it over! Brand new teeth all over again!

I personally have two HBC rings that I have been riding for about a year (well the 32 for over a year now) and have no problems what so ever with wear on it. Personally, I don't think I would waste my money on the ti chain ring at this point. The alu one is lighter, cooler color options, can be flipped over and reused, and costs less. How many more pluses do you need?

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can buy three Al chainrings for the cost of one Ti ring. Guess it just depends if the extra cost is worth it to you. I'm sure the Ti ring wouldn't wear out for a very long time.

As far as uneven wear, like 1spd said, it shouldn't cause any problems. Think about all the people who are running Al chain rings and steel cogs with no problems, including myself :thumbsup:

·
Gotta pay to play
684 Posts
I asked myself the same question and decided to go with Al because:
1) It will last me at least 2,000 miles. Then I'll flip- so I've got at least 5-6 years at my current ride rate.
2) I'll probably end up buying a new bike before #1 even happens.
3) The colors make the bike look pleasing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.