Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ahhh the pain....
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All...still trying to make a decision on which frame to go with...
1) Titanium On One Inbred 29er
2) Niner Sir 9
Other info...
I ride fairly rocky stuff so compliance in a hardtail is important. (hence no aluminum HT's). I'm going to build is as SS, but may go 1x9 or 2x9 later. I'm about 165 lbs.
At this point, the difference in price between the two isn't a big differentiator.
thx....

·
Registered
998 Posts
I've had an On-one ti 29er for over a year, ridden exclsively rigid and ss. Highly recommended. Used one chain tug on drive side with xt qr and have never budged. It's light, comfy on downhills and flys uphill.

I always hankered after a SIR 9 but have heard of probs with the ebb's (on all versions). I've never ridden one, but would be interested in a comparison.

·
Underskilled
4,804 Posts
So basically a titanium frame from a good manufacturer or an aluminium frame from a good manufacturer.

Why is this a hard choice?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
For me, I prefer the ride quality of a steel bike. I recently sold my Lynskey Pro to go with a steel bike. I debated picking up another SIR 9, but instead got a great deal on a El Mariachi.

If I had to choose between the Ti On-One and the SIR 9, I'd go SIR 9 and witht he $ I saved I'd pick up a nice set of wheels.

Again, I'm just a steel kinda guy much as I try to love Ti, it's just not for me (I've owned 4 Ti bikes over the last 15 years)

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
As Clink mentioned, On One is having a web sale right now, so the Ti 29er frames are less than $1000 delivered to the US. That's a great deal on a very nice US make Ti frame. BUT, they only have 21" frames left. I ordered one of the last 16" frames last week and should have it on Friday. I guess I am the opposite of Fat Bob, and prefer Ti frames over steel. I currently own 4 Ti frames and have had a few others in the past. I really like the ride quality and lack of maintanence. I have a nice steel SS frame as well and am getting tired of having it repainted every couple of years!

Mark

·
Living the Dream
1,798 Posts
Have you checked unreal cycles?

http://mtb.unrealcycles.com/catalog/item470.htm

Looks like they have 18" frames left. BTW, I had a SIR single speed and the ride was OK, but not as good as Ti and I don't think Niners mass produced quality is nearly as good as a lynskey made frame. I had constant issues with seat post slippage and Niner's CS was awful. I found out that this was a fairly common problem for the year that I purchased the frame. Also had EBB slippage issues.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Alpenglow said:
http://mtb.unrealcycles.com/catalog/item470.htm

Looks like they have 18" frames left. BTW, I had a SIR single speed and the ride was OK, but not as good as Ti and I don't think Niners mass produced quality is nearly as good as a lynskey made frame. I had constant issues with seat post slippage and Niner's CS was awful. I found out that this was a fairly common problem for the year that I purchased the frame. Also had EBB slippage issues.
Non-replacable derailer hangers worry me.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
bikenut316 said:
Non-replacable derailer hangers worry me.
Most Ti frames don't have replaceable derailleur hangers. Ti is MUCH less likely to bend, and it it does bend, can be bent back with no problem. I won't be using a derailleur anyway, so it doesn't bother me at all!

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.