Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
wow for the El Mariachi! and wow for the Ala Carte! Ti it is ;)

been thinking about that main photo above, and we all know he's got 4 bikes and maybe more but is this also mean Salsa, BMC and URLY are in the same Team ;)

·
Registered
798 Posts
wannabeRacer said:
wow for the El Mariachi! and wow for the Ala Carte! Ti it is ;)

been thinking about that main photo above, and we all know he's got 4 bikes and maybe more but is this also mean Salsa, BMC and URLY are in the same Team ;)
HA! No not quite. That's actually a photo taken in the courtyard of one of our dealers Topanga Creek Bicycles in Cali. They do rides and BBQ's on a regular basis and David was stopping in to partake in both. If you're in the area you should definately check them out. Great shop...Great folks....Great grillin' and chillin'. :thumbsup:

Bobby
Salsa Cycles

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,916 Posts
Has anyone there tried slipping a NeoMoto 2.35 into one of the Ti Ala Carte frames to check the clearance? The steel version was too tight for actual riding when I checked one last year (tire flex would have rubbed paint off the inside of the stays).

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I live in Australia Victoria Bobby, otherwise would love to drop-in and hangout with the Salsa tribe if thats cool. Looking forward to see them released (down under = Australia) in 2010. If you guys have a change to fly down here in Australia, tell Dirtworks to come and see us here in the state of Victoria for some Ride & Smile ;)

·
Registered
798 Posts
DeeEight said:
Has anyone there tried slipping a NeoMoto 2.35 into one of the Ti Ala Carte frames to check the clearance? The steel version was too tight for actual riding when I checked one last year (tire flex would have rubbed paint off the inside of the stays).
DeeEight -

No, we have not tried that tire fitment. The Ala Carte is designed around a 26" MTB wheelsize (559), and will not accept 27.5 or 650B tires and wheels, nor do we recommend trying to fit them in.

Both our steel and Ti models have clearance for 26x2.3 tires. I have verified the Ti frame with a Wolverine 2.2 mounted to a 30mm wide rim and it had more than enough clearance.

Ride and Smile,
Tim, Salsa Cycles

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
Looks kind of homogenized and generic

...in the pictures to be honest.Without the excellent Salsa stickers the aesthetics seem uninspiring to me. The industrial mill finish is not really visible in photographs. Beyond the aesthetics the blog says the geometry is the same. What is functionally different from past El Mariachis besides being titanium (weight and the likely deletion of the EBB). Is rear tire clearance similar or improved? Thanks.

·
Registered
798 Posts
tl1 said:
...in the pictures to be honest.Without the excellent Salsa stickers the aesthetics seem uninspiring to me. The industrial mill finish is not really visible in photographs. Beyond the aesthetics the blog says the geometry is the same. What is functionally different from past El Mariachis besides being titanium (weight and the likely deletion of the EBB). Is rear tire clearance similar or improved? Thanks.
Hey tl1 -

The geometry is the same intentionally. We feel our geometry is dialed in, and we love it. We also felt the steel El Mariachi was dialed in, so we intentionally kept the Ti model as close to the steel model as possible, purposely not making it different.

As for tire clearance, the steel El Mariachi is able to clear a Racing Ralph 2.4, which is currently the largest tire in production, even though there are tires that have a stated size of 2.5 or higher.

So to answer your overall question, no, there really isn't much of a difference other than frame material from the steel version. And we like it that way!

Ride and Smile,
Tim, Salsa Cycles

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
Salsa Cycles said:
DeeEight -

No, we have not tried that tire fitment. The Ala Carte is designed around a 26" MTB wheelsize (559), and will not accept 27.5 or 650B tires and wheels, nor do we recommend trying to fit them in.

Both our steel and Ti models have clearance for 26x2.3 tires. I have verified the Ti frame with a Wolverine 2.2 mounted to a 30mm wide rim and it had more than enough clearance.

Ride and Smile,
Tim, Salsa Cycles
That's funny, I have an '06 Ala carte (the orange one) and it handles a 650b Neo Moto 2.3 just fine - on Stans 355 rims. The only trouble is I don't like the tyres...

Attachments

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
tdee said:
Is there going to be a titanium fork available? EBB?
No word on a titanium fork, but that would be sweet!

Salsa says that for now, only a titanium geared only El Mariachi will be done with steel El Mariachi (s) to come. The wording wasn't clear as to whether there now would be two steel El Mars- one geared only/one SS only. I am betting it'll be like the past frames- with an EBB.

Salsa said that if there is enough demand that a titanium single speed may be done in the future.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts