Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
20_bandh said:
Hello, anyone know where I can get my hands on a Ti crankset ? Moratti dont make them anymore :( Any suggestions ?
XACD makes titanium cranksets to custom specs pretty cheap. Also, if you look hard enough you cant still find moratis. I found a set for a friend not too long ago.

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
20_bandh said:
Hello, anyone know where I can get my hands on a Ti crankset ? Moratti dont make them anymore :( Any suggestions ?
Ya, here's why Morati stopped making Ti cranks. This was my non-driveside crankarm after a XC ride. I'm 135lbs.

I'm now running FSA Carbon Pros (3-yrs) and Team Carbons (1-yr) on my MTBs....no issues (well, except for the Platinum Pro Ti ISIS BB...but, that's another thread).

And, here's WAZCO's snapped driveside Morati:

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
But Mike, you have to remember, not all of them failed. If you find a set that has been used, preferably by a heavier rider, and its been holding up, then no doubt it will have some life left in it. I met a guy on the trails last year who had been riding his set since they came out and they were fine. The guy was not 135lbs.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Wasn't it less than 1% failure? Which is "unexceptable", but not entirely unheard of.

I have a pair, thanks to TheRedSchiavo, and they are used and don't have any cracks...

(haven't ridden them, but don't expect them to rip apart)

They are out there, but desperately hard to find. If you do find them, they might be attached to a full bike that you might need to part out. Which I did, and in turn helped me get the cranks for free (basically).

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
TheRedMantra said:
But Mike, you have to remember, not all of them failed. If you find a set that has been used, preferably by a heavier rider, and its been holding up, then no doubt it will have some life left in it. I met a guy on the trails last year who had been riding his set since they came out and they were fine. The guy was not 135lbs.
Agreed, not ALL of them failed, but mine did...and, for me, that's enough. I'm not about to risk another busted set of arms, so I went with some FSA Carbons instead (a lot heavier, but after 3-yrs, they are still going strong). "Terminaut" has had excellent results with his Moratis and he rides hard, so there are good pairs out there. Unfortunately, mine was not one of them.

The fact that Morati is no longer making cranks should be an indication of problems. As a result: caveat emptor (buyer beware).

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
donkekus said:
Wasn't it less than 1% failure? Which is "unexceptable", but not entirely unheard of.
I'm not sure what the failure rate percentage is/was. I know there have been more than a few reported here. Plus, I've received emails from other Morati crank owners who have busted there's, too. So, it is not isolated.

donkekus said:
I have a pair, thanks to TheRedSchiavo, and they are used and don't have any cracks...

(haven't ridden them, but don't expect them to rip apart)
Funny...neither did I ;)

Just make sure you keep an eye on your arms. Mine failed catastrophically without warning. I was pretty lucky that nothing else (other than the snapped arm) happened...I could have lost control and crashed, sliced my ankle/achilles with the razor-sharp arm, etc. I think I got off lucky.

The failure of my arms was certainly attributed to a stress concentration created at the weld where the pedal insert is welded to the main arm.

·
Registered
34 Posts
SR Ti crankset

The SR crankset I mentioned in a previous post...They seem to be forged instead of welded tubes, migh be stronger I guess. Has anyone ever seen them in real life? I googled them and found nothing :( The CQP cranks sure look nice, what`s their reputation otherwise?

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Big Bad Wolf said:
which I believe will be too fragile for you
I´m surprised, but the above pics probably explain why Morati no longer make cranks. I´m probably going to go for the Race Face DEUS, I don´t think there will be any structural issues there. You use BOONE rings don´t you ? Do they shift as well as the standard Race Face rings ?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a copy of the Finite Element Analisys Morati conducted (in cooperation with Hope and Honeywell!) before they intruduced the cranks to the market. It said, the cranks will last forever as long as the raw material meets the standard. After the failures, Morati made some research as to the cause of the failures, and found that they made no errors during the manufacturing, and quality control. (They use the most advanced X-ray analisys on every product required by Honeywell - the owner of the Morati factory - which supplies titanium parts for Boeing jet engines.) Hence the FEA program is not perfect at calculating the stress caused by pedalling a bike...

-b

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
20_bandh said:
I´m surprised, but the above pics probably explain why Morati no longer make cranks. I´m probably going to go for the Race Face DEUS, I don´t think there will be any structural issues there. You use BOONE rings don´t you ? Do they shift as well as the standard Race Face rings ?
I used a granny and middle Boone Ti ring with my Moratis (nice, light set-up) and never had any issues with them. At the time, they were just straight rings: no ramps, pins, etc. I believe pins and ramps are now offered on some of the Boone rings, if you need them. The wear and durability of the Boones was incredible...my rings showed little to no wear after 2 seasons. Then, "snap" went the Moratis.

Now that my FSA stock rings are worn and need replacing, I'm contemplating getting another set of Boone Ti's. But, the cost is 3x that of the stock FSAs. Will the last 3x as long as the FSAs? Hard to say, but, I'd guess they'd last at least twice as long as the FSAs, and they just look sooooo nice. Drool!

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
macsi said:
I have a copy of the Finite Element Analisys Morati conducted (in cooperation with Hope and Honeywell!) before they intruduced the cranks to the market.
Oooh, I'd love to see those. As a Structural Engineer, who did a lot of work with ANSYS and other FEA packages for my Masters, I'd be very curious to see the analysis of the Moratis. ;)

It said, the cranks will last forever as long as the raw material meets the standard. After the failures, Morati made some research as to the cause of the failures, and found that they made no errors during the manufacturing, and quality control.
I was very curious as to the results of any testing/analysis Morati did on my busted cranks, but I never heard anything back. I was happy just to get a full cash refund, so I left it alone.

·
nightriding is fun !
457 Posts
20_bandh said:
You use BOONE rings don´t you ? Do they shift as well as the standard Race Face rings ?
No, they do not have shifting aids or ramps, so you have to shift more consciously.. in practice it's not a big problem though :D .

·
Registered
277 Posts
Morati owner says it's more like 12% failure

1speed_Mike said:
I'm not sure what the failure rate percentage is/was. I know there have been more than a few reported here. Plus, I've received emails from other Morati crank owners who have busted there's, too. So, it is not isolated.

Miroslav Pokorny (owner) told me the number will rise due to poor welding. I bought mine from Jeff at Mrazek and he too has seen a large number of broken cranks. He guess that 15-20 people has reported their broken cranks. Keep in mind that these were 700 dollars cranks and not a lot of people has them.

Attachments

·
Armor by Band-Aid
617 Posts
1speed_Mike said:
"Terminaut" has had excellent results with his Moratis and he rides hard, so there are good pairs out there. Unfortunately, mine was not one of them.
I've definitely hammered on my pairs and have been fortunate thus far. When I first heard of the failures, I backed off any real aggresive riding on them... but then as my confidence grew with usage of the cranks I pretty much don't think about it anymore. Check out my Duo thread to see some action shots. Click here for the link.

1speed_Mike said:
The fact that Morati is no longer making cranks should be an indication of problems. As a result: caveat emptor (buyer beware).
Words to live by.

...and on that note, I would like to buy anyone's Morati cranks that are available. :D Left arms, right arms, pairs... I'll take them all!

PS: I recently found these funky 6/4 ti plate cranks on the web... I forgot who made them though. Didn't pay much attention as the aesthetics don't do much for me.

Also, a company called "Fab Mac, LLC" also used to make some ti cranks that are waranteed for life. I run a set on my cyclocross bike and they bet me that I couldn't break them. They've been right so far!

·
Registered
252 Posts
1speed_Mike said:
Oooh, I'd love to see those. As a Structural Engineer, who did a lot of work with ANSYS and other FEA packages for my Masters, I'd be very curious to see the analysis of the Moratis. ;)
I was very curious as to the results of any testing/analysis Morati did on my busted cranks, but I never heard anything back. I was happy just to get a full cash refund, so I left it alone.
I informad Morati about this thread and asked how much info could be made public. The answer was: as much as what I have written. This is the official info concerning the crankset issue...

Just to clarify: I don't work for Morati. There was a project a few years back where we cooperated and have the info from this. This is also how I got hold of all my Morati frame, forks and parts, which serve my very well indeed :)

-b

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.