Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try Tastynuts.com they ship worldwide and have a huge sellection of titanium and aluminium bolts, nuts, washers in many colours.

I have ordered from them several times and they are very good to deal with.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
torontocycles.com
They are in Canada...fast service and shipping was about 1 week to MA.
Great prices and selection...and they do blue or gold ti if you want it for a small upcharge.

·
Registered
443 Posts
chasebicycleproducts.com

You can email them about the mounting bolts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi im new to this Ti bolt thing...

What is the difference between Ti bolts and regular ones? what would the weight savings be? if any

Thanks
Jimmy

·
Registered
443 Posts
Aluminum isn't much heavier than Ti, but doesn't have nearly the same strength. Alu is a really bad idea anywhere requiring strong bolts (i.e. stems).

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Comparison of specific gravity of metals (alloys will vary a bit). The specific gravity of a material is defined as the ratio of its density to the density of some standard material, such as water at a specified temperature, for example, 60°F (15°C), or (for gases) air at standard conditions of temperature and pressure. Specific gravity is a convenient concept because it is usually easier to measure than density, and its value is the same in all systems of units.

Aluminium 2.6 - 2.8

Magnesium 1.738

Steel 7.8

Titanium 4.5

So for objects of the same size and shape made of these materials, that's how the weights would compare.

·
Registered
151 Posts
back to basics

So while we are reviewing the basics on this one, how about a rundown of the bolts that would be reasonably safe to replace with aluminum.

...Which then raises the question for me about the extent to which stock components (e.g. XTR's) come with alum bolts already (and why/why not)...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.