Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone do this? I'm looking for some more places to cut weight to drop down the next pound on my bike and was wondering if there has been anyone who tried this? Or a better 31.6x400 post than the Thomson Elite - needs to be a more than a 350mm length post to fit. Thanks! Fred

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Ya-mon. I used those SRP ti bolts sold as a direct replacement for the oem Thomson bolts(Cambria), back in late 03. Still in service currently on the same post30.8 x410mm cut to 375mm on the same 02 blue/silver NRS even;)). Its surely only saving 10-15gms at best tho. Ck out the Thomson Masterpiece line maybe. Measurably lighter then the Elite.

Duck

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Fast Freddy said:
Anyone do this? I'm looking for some more places to cut weight to drop down the next pound on my bike and was wondering if there has been anyone who tried this? Or a better 31.6x400 post than the Thomson Elite - needs to be a more than a 350mm length post to fit. Thanks! Fred
The problem is that the bolts are not standards. Occasionally you see them appear on e-bay (a pair went for about $20 a few weeks ago, I lost but it is a stupid price for titanium :mad: ). But ... you will be saving at most 5-6 grams ... a log way to go to reach 454 :eekster:

·
bang
1,290 Posts
losing a pound on that bike would surely be an expensive endeavor. besides bolt-tuning, there are lighter posts, stems and bars out there. swap the qr seatpost clamp for a bolt-on. do you really need the bash guard for that bike (i guess it's for aesthetics)?

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cyco-Dude said:
losing a pound on that bike would surely be an expensive endeavor. besides bolt-tuning, there are lighter posts, stems and bars out there. swap the qr seatpost clamp for a bolt-on. do you really need the bash guard for that bike (i guess it's for aesthetics)?
The problem with the drop top tube on the 29er is I need one closer to 400m long - I'll check the USE one out... stem isn't bad - Salsa Scandium with Ti bolts... The bar isn't bad - FSA KForce flat bar... the seat clamp doen't have a quick release its a Salsa lip lock with Ti bolt (not the lighest in the world but it holds it secure. The bash guard is required because I don't want to trash my Jericho ring - rings for the M960 cranks aren't cheap...

I was worried about the non-stock bolt head on the Thomson post... seemed semi cupped on the washer side.

The Thomson Masterpiece isn't available in 410 length is it?

Thanks!
FF

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
No - the masterpeice only goes up to 350mm.

Have a look at the USE, raceface, syntace and extralite posts if your after a lighter weight post in 400mm. But be warned, the syntace and raceface posts are always over the claimed weights;) And the extralite posts are very $$$!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.