Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
K n e e m o i
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$125 seems ripoff for 5 stinkin bolts. :rolleyes:

But it is sold out at CC, so people must be buying them. :skep:

Why? How did you justify spending so much on saving 3 ounces, if it really does save 3 ounces just by swapping out 5 bolts? :skep: :skep: Maybe I'm crossing into the weight weenie territory.

·
Ti is addictive
2,892 Posts
Agreed, go thru racebolts.....I bought my Ti bolt kit from Titus back when they were still 75 bucks or so.......but at that price I'll do the legwork and get them myself......I think that was why TitusJeff listed the exact sizing for us. My feeling is that price factors if a dealer pulls the bolt and reinstalls them for you.

·
K n e e m o i
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help guys

btw what does SHCS and FHCS mean?

Below is what I'm thinking of ordering, is it correct?

Titanium Taper Socket Head M8X55 1 pc

Titanium Taper Socket Head M6X45 1pc

Titanium Countersunk Bolt M6X25 2pc

Honda Ti Rear Disc Rotor Bolt M8x17, shoulder 5mm, 90105-MV9-003 4pc

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah, I agree it's a ripoff, but I went for it anyway when I bought my ML from CC a couple months ago. I wasn't exactly sure on the bolt sizes and if they'd work if I ordered them elsewhere. Ran into that when I bought ti bolts for my old Jamis XLT - had issues with the rear counter-sunk bolts not fitting properly. I ran them for a year until I started noticing excessive play in the rear end - swapped back to the stock steel bolts and problem solved. Anyway, I just wanted all ti bolts for the bike, as I replaced all the component bolts with ti when they were on the Jamis. I bought from either hyperbolts.com, racebolts.com, or torontocycles.com. Saved 1/4 lb in 57 bolts, so not real cost-effective for weight savings - mainly wanted nice hardware for nice components, and rust-free long-term effects. If you're going to go for ti, definitely order them elsewhere. The countersunk rear bolts look pretty standard, so should be good there. I definitely wasted my money - $25 per bolt, and since I have a Salsa QR clamp, I didn't even use the one for the seatclamp!:madman:

·
Registered
631 Posts
My ML is running a full Ti bolt kit I parted from racebolts and I've had no issues so far. i know it didn't save much weight. most of the savings came from the shock mount bolts. the horst link bolt weight difference is minimal. like milllsm, i "just wanted" ti bolts as well. Ti bike, Ti bolts, right? yeah, weight weenie..... oh well.

·
Registered
631 Posts
millsm said:
Simpleton,

Did you replace the countersunk bolts in the swing link with ti, and if so, what size? I think these are the only steel ones left on the bike:D
Here's the part number and description from Raebolts.com:

CSK0625 Titanium Countersunk Bolt M6X25

Word of caution though: Make sure your hex key is in perfect shape cuz it's pretty ez to round out the hex on these bolts. This is where the "real" ti bolt might be better. The recessed hex head on the Racebolts bolts are pretty shallow so it's very easy to round it out.

cheers,
scott

·
parts leftover
954 Posts
Daffunda, did these bolts work and fit the Raxer X ok? I know there was some debate in another thread whether the tapered head fit into the linkage. I'm thinking of ordering ti bolts myself.

Daffunda said:
Thanks for your help guys

btw what does SHCS and FHCS mean?

Below is what I'm thinking of ordering, is it correct?

Titanium Taper Socket Head M8X55 1 pc

Titanium Taper Socket Head M6X45 1pc

Titanium Countersunk Bolt M6X25 2pc

Honda Ti Rear Disc Rotor Bolt M8x17, shoulder 5mm, 90105-MV9-003 4pc

·
Ultimated Outsider
570 Posts
schlim said:
Daffunda, did these bolts work and fit the Raxer X ok? I know there was some debate in another thread whether the tapered head fit into the linkage. I'm thinking of ordering ti bolts myself.
The Racer X Al, Ti and Exo and all ML use the same bolt kit. Just make sure you use anti-seize and a torgue wrench when you install them.
I got the Titus Ti kit for my Ti ML, it just did not look right with the stock steel bolts.:thumbsup:

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,407 Posts
Yes, beware on the horst link bolts

jadis3 said:
Question is: the Horst link bolts have torques 115 in-lbs at DOC-ASSY-TORQUES-RACERX. This value is danger fo M6 titanium, isn't?
For kicks I swapped out most of the bolts on my motolite.

Those horst bolts in Ti strip easily. I was using a brand new bit on my torque wrench, and as I tightened it up.. stripped one out pretty good. I had enough left to back it out, but went back to the AL bolts back there.

I would swap the shock mounting bolts, maybe your seat clamp bolt with Ti. Use an AL bolt for your headset top cap (preload bolt).

That is where the most savings comes from. Just my 2 cents. OH, those horst bolts I believe saved 2g each. Not worth it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.