Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
im4Gsus
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, time again to go around the buttes and the jumps for a fun, ~10 mile, casual ride.

Meet at the parking lot across from the zoo entrance at 5:30am and be RTR by ~5:45.

Any takers?
K
 

·
im4Gsus
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Umbrous said:
Can you provide a map of this area with parking showing?

Thanks!
umbrous, don't know if you need freeway info as well, so here it goes. if you're coming down the 202, exit at van buren.

see you tomorrow!
K
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Speaking of the heat...

How do you all feel about night riding vs sunrise riding? I went out for last Saturday and it was about 100 degrees @ 830pm. I normally ride to the water tanks and back, but by the time I hit the tanks this time...I felt like going home right then and there. It felt so much hotter than the previous week which had 90 degree weather @ 830pm. Walt made reference to the fact that a night ride gets you away from the sun beating down on you and that made me wonder...

@ 5am with the temps around 86-90 degrees
and the sun shining
Is it easier?
Is it nicer than night riding?
 

·
im4Gsus
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jodiuh said:
Speaking of the heat...
@ 5am with the temps around 86-90 degrees
and the sun shining
Is it easier?
Is it nicer than night riding?
well, i do better in the morning and don't mind getting up before the chickens. so far the temps have been good in the mornings and we've ridden till 8:30 or so. i don't think that's going to be possible tomorrow. probably by 7:30 we'll be toast!

i don't like night riding and sold my lights a couple of weeks ago.

so, jodiuh, you gonna join us?
K
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Thanks for the comments kaboose. I would definitely like to...eventually. Last time I rode with some of ya on...well...tried to ride with some of you on Desert Classic and got smoked! I'm still in the "learning how to ride a bike phase" and entering into the "get up 4 hours earlier phase" so I'll have to pass this time.

Hopefully I can at least get up to ride some DC at my own pace tomorrow tho. :D
 

·
It rains here. :(
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
Jodiuh said:
Speaking of the heat...

How do you all feel about night riding vs sunrise riding? I went out for last Saturday and it was about 100 degrees @ 830pm. I normally ride to the water tanks and back, but by the time I hit the tanks this time...I felt like going home right then and there. It felt so much hotter than the previous week which had 90 degree weather @ 830pm. Walt made reference to the fact that a night ride gets you away from the sun beating down on you and that made me wonder...

@ 5am with the temps around 86-90 degrees
and the sun shining
Is it easier?
Is it nicer than night riding?
Humidity has been higher than normal lately, due to monsoon season (although it hasn't rained once at my house). That's why the evenings seem hotter than normal. Mornings are warm, but managable, It isn't until like 8:30 or 9am do you feel the sun really beating on you. At 5:30 the sun is there but you don't really feel any heat from it directly.

Night riding is ok, it sucks when there is a mechanical issue in the dark however. I have a cheap light (100 bucks) that's all I can bring myself to spend on something I use maybe 4 times a year. I rode Pemberton this past Saturday night and the heat wasn't even an issue for me. As long as there is no direct intense heat shining on me, I'm good. :thumbsup:

You should ride tomorrow, although let me warn you, I suck and kaboose just keeps me around because I give nothing but praise about her Honda Element. Besides I haven't been to Papago but from what I heard it's an easier ride than Desert Classic.
 

·
im4Gsus
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jodiuh said:
Thanks for the comments kaboose. I would definitely like to...eventually. Last time I rode with some of ya on...well...tried to ride with some of you on Desert Classic and got smoked!
jodiuh, you did NOT ride with us - cuz we could not smoke anyone... cuz we're not that fast!!

and umbrous doesn't suck. if he does, then we all do. however, today, at 7:30 it was very hot and we did even worse than usual.

do join us next time and you'll see for yourself.
K
 

·
It rains here. :(
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
kaboose said:
jodiuh, you did NOT ride with us - cuz we could not smoke anyone... cuz we're not that fast!!

and umbrous doesn't suck. if he does, then we all do. however, today, at 7:30 it was very hot and we did even worse than usual.

do join us next time and you'll see for yourself.
K
kaboose,

Here's that pic/thread that I was talking about this morning regarding the lion. I'll post the pics from the ride this evening once I get home from work.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=203282
 

·
im4Gsus
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jodiuh said:
Sorry, I meant "some of ya" as in the crew that did the SOMO NR a few weeks back.
HAHAHA i knew it wasn't "us". you definitely need to check us out next time we ride.
 

·
Kathleen in AZ
Joined
·
5,178 Posts
Jodiuh said:
Sorry, I meant "some of ya" as in the crew that did the SOMO NR a few weeks back.
Hi Jod - On that SoMo nite ride I recall seeing you a ways behind me on Desert Classic... I was keeping an eye out for you, really! Everyone regrouped at the end of Secret trail, but there was no Jod. After a while I went back to the last place I saw you and you had obviously bailed. Glad you found your way back to my house and your car and sorry to have left you behind! We all were willing to wait... but understood that you didn't want to hold us up. Keep riding. Try hooking up with Kaboose and others because you will learn so much faster when forced to push yourself a bit. It'll also be easier when it's not such a furnace outside :cool: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
DurtGurl said:
We all were willing to wait... but understood that you didn't want to hold us up.
Haha! Ya, I remember seeing you wait up a couple times and didn't want to see you guys "walk a ride" with the noob. :p I'm perfectly content to ride solo w/ Vivaldi prodding me on. The other half of my rides are with the bro as we are about the same level, (ride, stop, ride, stop). And there's no shortage of crazy animals out there when I'm lonely!

The heat is starting to get at me tho (first summer in AZ). I'm going up to Flagstaff for the weekend to visit the Mom, so I'm sure I'll get a chance to crash in nice weather. :thumbsup: Any recs for EZ rides out there?
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top