Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
yetisurly said:
Is anyone riding in the North Valley Thursday afternoon?
Not a fun ride per se but I'll be riding up and down Shaw Butte a few times if yer interested.

·
I am Walt
6,281 Posts
YuriB said:
Not a fun ride per se but I'll be riding up and down Shaw Butte a few times if yer interested.
Where is this climb/ride accessed from? Funboarder was telling me about it last night. I don't know that area at all.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Central, south of Thunderbird.

I'm doing my regular 4 passes on Saturday, after 4pm.

Watch out if you go down the backside, there is a beehive being built on the side of the trail, just south of the nasty switchbacks.

Walt, great ride last night... I'm still lovin' it!

waltaz said:
Where is this climb/ride accessed from? Funboarder was telling me about it last night. I don't know that area at all.

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
waltaz said:
Plenty of access points:
Top of 7th ave where it ends at the preserves or where Aaron mentioned or 7th Ave across from Tapatillo but that lot is still closed. Its the tallest mtn/butte at the most Western end of the preserves. It's only a/b 800 ft elevation in 1 mile but it's a good workout

·
I am Walt
6,281 Posts
YuriB said:
Plenty of access points:
Top of 7th ave where it ends at the preserves or where Aaron mentioned or 7th Ave across from Tapatillo but that lot is still closed. Its the tallest mtn/butte at the most Western end of the preserves. It's only a/b 800 ft elevation in 1 mile but it's a good workout
How do you compare it to Sunrise, which is about 1000 ft. in about 1.7 mi.?

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
waltaz said:
How do you compare it to Sunrise, which is about 1000 ft. in about 1.7 mi.?
Well for starters its a really degraded dirt road so between that and the hikers coming down can be exciting (in reality I go slow down so I don't scare the locals) but basically it's shorter and steeper.

1) Shot of the butte
2) Shot from the butte (the near arrow is home and the far is work)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Its actually quite a bit shorter and much steeper. I've never been able to clean it on my SS.

On my geared bike, my best time is 20 minutes, and I can do it easily in 30, multiple times.

Going downhill will cook a set of disc brakes, by the time I reach the bottom I'm experiencing a good amount of fade.

If you're just doing the ride on the front side, its pretty boring. Going down the backside makes for an fun ride, until you get to the switchbacks... those are some nasty switchbacks!

Its mainly used by hikers, and seldom by bikers.

YuriB said:
Well for starters its a really degraded dirt road so between that and the hikers coming down can be exciting (in reality I go slow down so I don't scare the locals) but basically it's shorter and steeper.

1) Shot of the butte
2) Shot from the butte (the near arrow is home and the far is work)

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
funboarder1971 said:
If you're just doing the ride on the front side, its pretty boring. Going down the backside makes for an fun ride, until you get to the switchbacks... those are some nasty switchbacks!

Its mainly used by hikers, and seldom by bikers.
They're actually not that bad last time I went that way, not completely rideable yet (for me)but gettin there

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Then I bow to you Yuri... I can't ride any of the switchbacks...either on the 29er or the full sussy.

Getting there is the easy part!

YuriB said:
They're actually not that bad last time I went that way, not completely rideable yet (for me)but gettin there

·
Registered
72 Posts
funboarder1971 said:
Its actually quite a bit shorter and much steeper. I've never been able to clean it on my SS.
What gearing did you use on ur SS attempt? SB is a great hill for training but I haven't attempted it since I went SS (been a few years). The thought never crossed my mind but I'm gonna give it a go...the first couple hills will be brutal though.

Sean

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
funboarder1971 said:
Central, south of Thunderbird.

I'm doing my regular 4 passes on Saturday, after 4pm.

Watch out if you go down the backside, there is a beehive being built on the side of the trail, just south of the nasty switchbacks.

Walt, great ride last night... I'm still lovin' it!
Spring school concert, eh Walt? That's it, your out of the club.

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
I'd say around 5 - gotta ride home and then switch bikes and ride from home. I'll doing multiples so you can jump in any time

1 - 20 of 46 Posts