Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We have a sport/expert level mt bike ride every thurs nite in Brattleboro.

Start time is 6 pm (this is what time we leave so get there early to prep bike etc).

We meet in the Black Mountain Plaza on Putney Rd in Brattleboro.

To get there take Exit 3 off I-91 then take Rt 5 South,and then just after the first light turn right into plaza.

The rides typically last 2.5-3 hours so this time of year lights are essential.

The rides consist of mostly single track some double track, lots of climbing and descending.

This is a central location to much of the riding around the Brattleboro area there are about 8 different loops available so there is much variety.

Hope to see you soon
Josh

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
vermont said:
Hi all,

We have a sport/expert level mt bike ride every thurs nite in Brattleboro.

Start time is 6 pm (this is what time we leave so get there early to prep bike etc).

We meet in the Black Mountain Plaza on Putney Rd in Brattleboro.

To get there take Exit 3 off I-91 then take Rt 5 South,and then just after the first light turn right into plaza.

The rides typically last 2.5-3 hours so this time of year lights are essential.

The rides consist of mostly single track some double track, lots of climbing and descending.

This is a central location to much of the riding around the Brattleboro area there are about 8 different loops available so there is much variety.

Hope to see you soon
Josh
we had an awesome ride last week about 3 hours...last hour or so with lights...hope to see some new faces soon. :)

This ride is a brattleboro tradition that goes back about 10 years...some of the "older" regulars have fallen off for a variety of reasons lately and we are advertising for some new riders to keep it going.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
another fun ride

almost all single track last week. we stayed out about 2.5 hours. One of the crew got a new bike, a Rocky Mt f/s he was thrilled with the smoothness, another one of the guys has a IH hollowpoint on order he can't wait. We had a incident at the end of the ride, one of the guys hit a rock and endo'd burping his UST front tire w/stans in it. So yours truly got to take out the valve stem put in a tube an pump it up...all in the dark. FYI: dont drop things in the dark...they can be a b***tch to find in the leaves :(
A good time was had by all.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
another great thurs nite ride

vermont said:
almost all single track last week. we stayed out about 2.5 hours. One of the crew got a new bike, a Rocky Mt f/s he was thrilled with the smoothness, another one of the guys has a IH hollowpoint on order he can't wait. We had a incident at the end of the ride, one of the guys hit a rock and endo'd burping his UST front tire w/stans in it. So yours truly got to take out the valve stem put in a tube an pump it up...all in the dark. FYI: dont drop things in the dark...they can be a b***tch to find in the leaves :(
A good time was had by all.
We had another great ride on 9/16. We went up single track to Dummerston Cntr and over to black mt. We went down a local legend trail aptly named "the Chute" with our lights on and it was a scream. After crossing the west river we climbed up towards pleasant valley and plunged down another trail built by our brother "Jeff" the dude on the Ellsworth Joker. This trail has two incredible switchbacks with huge drops on the side. Then it was back across the west river to ride the famous "rail trail"...not your typical rail trail...this hasn't seen a train in nearly 60 years and is more trail than rail..but it is flat and a blast to ride at or near full speed. Yours truly was leading through some grass n stuff that was over head high (in the dark remember) and caught a bramble right across the nose...got a couple of nice scratches to remind me of how the ride was to be.
was a blast see ya next week :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Who still goes on this ride?

I use to work in a shop in Brattleboro -Specialized Sports. I use to go on that ride all of the time. Matter of fact I use to lead that ride at times. I use to ride with a guy by the name of Bob who rode for the west hill shop. A guy by the name of John who use to work in the cape in winter and lived in Brattleboro for the summer. Also a guy by the name of Scott who was deaf. There also was a reverend who went on the rides or a minister can't remember which. Do you know if any of these people are still riding there? Great rides by the way. Great single track as well. If I still lived there I would ride with you. Way to keep it going.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scooby-doo said:
I use to work in a shop in Brattleboro -Specialized Sports. I use to go on that ride all of the time. Matter of fact I use to lead that ride at times. I use to ride with a guy by the name of Bob who rode for the west hill shop. A guy by the name of John who use to work in the cape in winter and lived in Brattleboro for the summer. Also a guy by the name of Scott who was deaf. There also was a reverend who went on the rides or a minister can't remember which. Do you know if any of these people are still riding there? Great rides by the way. Great single track as well. If I still lived there I would ride with you. Way to keep it going.
Yes i know all the people you are refering to...we still see some of them from time to time but not every week.
the riding around Brattleboro is superb.
we'll be doing the ride until weather forces us to stop
:D

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes we ride until snow is too deep

drew777 said:
Are these Thursday evenign rides still happening? If so I'll charge up my light and be there tommorow.
great see you tomorrow night :p

·
Registered
49 Posts
vermont said:
great see you tomorrow night :p
Well.... My bike, helmet, shoes, and hydrapack are in the back of my truck which my wife took to Hartford. I thought she was going to take her car today. She won't be back until 10 pm, so I guess I'm out for this evening's Brat ride. If I can find an old helmet and an old pair of shoes I will bring my hardtail, but it looks like I'll have to wait until next week.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ouch

drew777 said:
Well.... My bike, helmet, shoes, and hydrapack are in the back of my truck which my wife took to Hartford. I thought she was going to take her car today. She won't be back until 10 pm, so I guess I'm out for this evening's Brat ride. If I can find an old helmet and an old pair of shoes I will bring my hardtail, but it looks like I'll have to wait until next week.
thats sounds like a big time drag..well hope to see ya soon

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
waiting for the trails to dry,

we could do a ride on slicks, back roads around North Hinsdale/Wantastiquet area?
April 7 looks like the first Thurs of the month, i'll try to round up some local crew for a ride and go from there.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2005 season

We're getting this ride up and going this week 4/21...

trails are dry and the riding is easy. :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
back to front page.....

FYI: this ride is up and going strong. We have had a good group every week all spring/summer.

Last night was a group of 9; 3 girls, 6 guys. 3 fullies, 1 SS, 5 ht's.

We did a lolly pop loop up from Memorial hill to the top of Southstreet all gorgeous singletrack, about a 20" descent. Getting dark about 8:30 and no one is using lights yet....we usually hold out until the beginning of Sept for lights.

Ride usually ends after daylight savings ends.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is the meeting point listed in the first post still valid? I'm camping in Townshend this week and would like to join you. Thanks. George

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
same spot,same place,

same time, for 15 years now :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is this ride still active? I drove through the lot at 6 today and didn't see anyone. Was it the weather that scared everyone away? I would like to learn some of the trails around Brattleboro.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts