1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEW WEEKLY(Thurs) road ride in Stetson Valley, north of Happy
Valley/51st intersection.

What: Road training on 4 mile scenic loop, low traffic streets, with
90% bike lane. Safe area to ride--no through traffic.
1st lap warm-up, route-learning cruise, etc.
After 1st lap, faster intervals, drafting, sprints for road signs, etc.,
recover through a slower section in the 'hood, and so on----
All rider abilities welcome--we all had to start sometime.

When: Every Thurs night starting at 6:30. If you're late, just join
in---it's a loop.

Where: From Happy Valley & 51st ave---go north on 51st 0.7 mi, turn right
on W. Deems Hills Pkwy 0.5 mile to Stetson Hill Park on right. Course passes passes north bound on Deems Hills Pkwy. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...56,-112.171226&spn=0.018204,0.023003&t=h&z=15.

Bring: Road bike,and lights. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
632 Posts
this ride was going good in the beginning, but didn't stick for some reason. It's a good nt ride training circuit.
I live about 10 min away(Stetson Hills) across the saddle and can come over to ride on Thurs? nights. I also ride mtb on Deem Hills once or twice a week as part of my cycling/gym workouts.
We should get this ride going again with some of the area riders.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
There is a night ride every Tuesday night from the Swiss American bike shop that starts at 7:00.... sounds very similar to this one. Loop is a little over 2.5 miles and all ability levels show up. Ride size varies from 20-70 riders depending on the weather/holidays/etc. A lot of mountain bikers show up for the ride so it is not the typical roadie group

The ride starts with a couple of warm up laps, then an hour at full throttle, and a couple of cool down laps at the end with sprints, pacelines, a little of everything. Also, the ride has been very crash free... I have been doing it pretty much every week for 6 years and there have only been 3-4 crashes... so very safe!!

·
Registered
632 Posts
kdimon---post a mtb ride plan up here and well do it.

The Stetson Valley loop is similar to the Swiss Tues night ride, and probably would be better if it becomes popular in the area. The routes is on wide, well-lit, safe, streets, w/bike lanes, desert landscaped, and it surrounded by scenic hills. Tends to be a little cooler, be the northern border of the open desert. Some of the Swiss riders were coming up on Thurs last summer and they really liked it.

Deem Hills park is easy to commute to by bike or drive in and park. Restrooms, ramadas, water, soccer field, kids playground....sounds busy, but hardly anyone uses it. http://northphoenixthoughts.com/deem-hills-park-opens-at-stetson-valley/

Mtbr's, MBAA racers, rec riders, and mx racers--- let's get this ride going again on Thurs nights --starting Tomorrow night.

·
Registered
632 Posts
kdimon said:
I dont road ride but am in stetson valley and always up for a mountain ride.
I noticed they closed the canal bridge crossing again to access the desert---WTF!
I'm sure the fence will be "reopened" again and we can ride up there soon.

·
Let'er Buck
239 Posts
Yeah they closed it up pretty good over a month ago, I am looking forward to it being opened back up, somebody mentioned another way in just over the hill but I could not find it. Only rode the new trails once while they were still being built but really like riding north of the canal. Tonight I am hopefully building up a new second bike, and next week I will be out of town but I would be up for putting a mountain ride together for sure. Am I correct the ride you are doing to night is a road ride?

·
Registered
632 Posts
tonight is the road ride around the Stetson loop.
Every Thurs at 6:30 pm, starting from Deem Hills Park. It will probably be low turnout for a while until the word gets out. It will be a good ride for beginner-advanced riders, and loops past the park. Last year the ride attracted a dozen or so, then faded when the weather cooled.

·
Let'er Buck
239 Posts
Hey guys unless something changes in my day today I wont be able to make it this time I am headed out of town tell next wednesday but the following week will be in for sure. Glad to hear this is getting going and look forward to riding with you guys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.