6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
9 lives
15,830 Posts
One hour into our Don ride, we stopped at the DJ's and it started to rain

Then it started to pour

Whippee-do's started to fill up!

The puddles were deep on the ride back... it was a different and exciting ride!

I wonder how many times the Don floods like this?

·
'11 Opus Strat
464 Posts
I was on a trail ( after the storm ) near the local river and a tree had fallen across it, so when I went to go maybe try and move it. Well figuring the storm took it out... I looked down near the trunk and a beaver took off into the water... Little bugger had some enplaning to do..

·
I dd what you see there.
717 Posts
I guess this happened here in Hamilton on Friday. Around 3-ish I had the hail bouncing (rather loudly) off my roof, and then fairly sustained heavy rain for like 45 mins. My buddy - like 15 mins away in Stoney Creek said the clouds were a little threatening in the afternoon, but they never saw any rain.

·
Team NFI
5,303 Posts
Interesting to see how development effects creeks and rivers. Highland Creek was overflowing it's banks. Yet when I was riding in the Rouge shortly after looked like normal Spring water levels.

·
9 lives
15,830 Posts
It was interesting standing on the Don shore watching what type of debris was floating by: alot of logs (mainly dead fall), small ladder bridges, plastic bottles (too many to count), tennis balls, a basket ball!

Just a couple of weeks ago the water was so low and so calm... ah no I wouldn't even think of crossing it then! Yesterday, the water was high enough to trap trees under this bridge.

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
So strange. The skies were threatening out here but nothing came of it except for some light rain during our morning ride.

·
humber river advocate
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I remember that day well - mid Friday afternoon - the sky turned black and my basement was flooded when I got home. The Don Valley was significantly affected that day and has not looked the same since.
how true, that was a nasty storm. then there was Hurricane Hazel
i see the damage done by this storm to this day with the washed out bridges on the humber river and elsewhere.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts