Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
bigboulder said:
Do you know where one can find a map of Thunder Mtn Loop?
That'd be part of the Silver Lake Loop... off Horse Canyon. Ogre's written it up.

My 2 cents on the area: Go up Horse Canyon, screw around on Thunder Mt. and that side, then go back the way you came. The Silver Lake loop is really for people that like to bust out a hard, long, not that exciting, not much of a payoff for the work ride. It's beautiful, but the best trails are on the Kirkwood side of Silver Lake.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Thanx

otbp_nocal said:
That'd be part of the Silver Lake Loop... off Horse Canyon. Ogre's written it up.

My 2 cents on the area: Go up Horse Canyon, screw around on Thunder Mt. and that side, then go back the way you came. The Silver Lake loop is really for people that like to bust out a hard, long, not that exciting, not much of a payoff for the work ride. It's beautiful, but the best trails are on the Kirkwood side of Silver Lake.
Yes, I have been up on Silver Lake trail with Ogre and we spied the connection to Thunder Mtn but did not go up there.

If I understand you correctly....you are saying to climb up horse canyon then turn left on Thunder Mnt trail....but where to go from there....I can not find a single map that shows the trail or trails neer Thunder Mnt. if this trail is a loop....which direction to go...what other trails are on the kirkwood side?

Thanx

s

·
Registered
286 Posts
Maps? You don't need no steenkin' maps!

Here's a decent overview of the trail:
https://webs.lanset.com/pyamagata/Captions/nspg/thundermtn.html

Here's an mtbr review:
https://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-...all-other-areas/trail/PRD_165191_4518crx.aspx

It sounds like the preferred route (which makes sense) is to start at the Thunder Mt. Trailhead... about a mile or so before Kirkwood... ride up about 4 miles, then down Horse Canyon... cut over on another trail to 88. See the solo review.

But... doesn't this look like a sweet downhill?

Yum yum!

More pix here: https://www.summitpost.org/object_list.php?parent_id=152933&object_type=3

Maybe this is best done as an up TM, down HC, back up HC, then down TM?

Don't forget to cool off in the potholes after! https://www.aboutlaketahoe.com/hiking/potholes.htm

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Hey!

I was just going to post the exact same two pictures that I found on the hiking website. YUM is right....but there is just not enough miles up there to get me excited. To get some miles I would consider just doing the Silver Lake loop as Ogre describes and then detouring an out and back on TM. That would be a brutal 26 miles...with the nasty high elevation climbs. Wish there were more options out there...

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I'll bet ssissy

could show us how to do a sweet shuttle ride starting at Thunder Mt and ending at Bear River Res. I think we talked about that one time. Start at T Mt. then down Horse Canyon...up to Plasse then mystery route to Bear River Res?

That sounds like it might be pretty tasty.

·
more skier than biker
2,390 Posts
If you're pressed for time, setting up a shuttle here is easy...

Park one car at the Oyster Creek Campground near Silver Lake just off of 88.

Then Shuttle up 88 towards Kirkwood and start the ride from Thunder Mtn. trailhead just west of Carson Spur.

Climb up Thunder Mtn., descend Horse Canyon...pop back out at Oyster Creek.

If you ski at Kirkwood it's really cool stopping to check out what the skiable lines just outside the ropes near the Spur look like without snow (as well as the Palisades, Upper Cham, Big & Little Jim's, etc.)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Did this ride on July 4th on my way to Tahoe... pretty fun. Very scenic. Not a long ride (about 8 miles), but fun enough if you're in the area.

We parked at the Horse Canyon trailhead, and rode up Hwy 88 (an easy 2.5 miles) to the Thunder Mt. trailhead. I guess there is way to connect the two trailheads without riding the road, but we didn't have time to look. The climb up to Thunder Mountain was a workout, and only a couple very short unrideable sections. Once the climbing is over, the downhill to Horse Canyon Trail is a hoot! The spur out to the actual Thunder Mt. summit is worth checking out, but you have to hike the last few hundred feet (unless you are Hans Rey).

I wish the trail stayed high on the ridge, and connected with Horse Canyon at the top (where it intersects with Squaw Ridge Trail)... that would add several miles to the ride, and I remember that upper section being pretty fun. Horse Canyon starts out fairly technical (lots of big rocks), but then mellows out for some groovy, Pauley Creek-esqe singletrack.

Followed the ride up with a sunset dip in the potholes below Silver Lake, then some camping at Scott Lake.

Spent the next day riding the TRT from Scott Lake to Big Meadow, to Round Lake, then down Christmas Valley (which has been completely changed/re-routed... It's still fun, but nowhere near as technical), then up to Toads, down Toads, then the slog up 89 to Big Meadow, to Scott Lake (where cold beer and lake were waiting :thumbsup: ).

Then on Friday, rode Emigrant Trail out of Truckee to Stampede Res. and back, before heading to Downieville for some gravity time yesterday.

Overall, a great "Tour de Tahoe"!

Photo #4 is the enterance into Kirkwood

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
great pics looks like an awesome ride you had. i would love to do a ride like that but all the connecting trails and stuff intimidate the crap outta me. I would feel like i would get lost or something...any advice as to how to get to know the trails before riding them ie books, maps, etc?

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
5,365 Posts
dementedfatty said:
great pics looks like an awesome ride you had. i would love to do a ride like that but all the connecting trails and stuff intimidate the crap outta me. I would feel like i would get lost or something...any advice as to how to get to know the trails before riding them ie books, maps, etc?
It's not that hard to follow. Park at Oyster Creek or at the Horse Canyon Trailhead. Ride up 88 and look for a turnout on the left. Cut across the road and take the turnout which parallels 88 (mostly just saves you from highway miles). When you get to the campground there is a sign for Castle Point Trail. It's a bit of a grunt up to Castle Point but there are some great views. Follow Castle Point trail back to the highway then cross the highway and go downhill slightly to Thunder Mountain Trailhead. Check out the map that looks just like the one posted about then recognize that you have finished about 10% of the total climbing of the ride.

Start humping up Thunder Mountain trail. There is one obvious left turn then one slightly less intuitive left turn then you go down down down to Horse Canyon trail and right turn on Horse Canyon. Down Down down.. Grin a lot and eventually wind up at HC trailhead. Then you realize that you have somehow managed to climb 3' for every foot you descended.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
5,365 Posts
alteregopo said:
If there is onyl one card, where is the best location to park and suggested route?
Umm... See my post immediately above yours. You can park at the Thunder Mountain trailhead but then you end the ride with a moderate climb which sort of sucks. Horse Canyon Trailhead or Oyster Creek Picknikc area.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.