Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Canyon Grand Canyon 7 with a SRAM SX Drivetrain. I have noticed when I stop peddling there is a thump like every thing stopped but the back wheel. I have a couple older mountain bikes and they don't do this. Is this normal for this drivetrain? Do I need to repair it or work with Canyon on the warranty? I have been searching the internet trying to find a post of someone having a similiar problem and I just havn't found anything. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I get the same thing but only in the two highest gears and as above the chain goes a little slack at the same time.

In my case it's the chain slightly rubbing on the side of the next biggest cog. Not a problem that happens when pedalling forward so I don't see it as a big deal. Easy enough to spot as it's just as obvious on a workstand. Worth checking out if this is a similar thing that's happening to your drivetrain.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Pay attention to the chain when the thump happens. If the chain gets slack, your problem could be freehub pawls malfunctioning (which is a bad thing).
Yep, this is usually what is happening when you stop pedaling and feel a little bump on the pedals. The bike doesn't want to freewheel for an instant when you stop pedaling, and the cassette keeps turning, causing the chain to slack momentarily. The pawls in your freehub are probably sticky. Usually you can grease them and it's fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input. I suspected it was the freehub. Just odd that it is sticking in less than 2 months of only paved path riding. I will tear it down clean and grease it this weekend. Thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.