Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k., so I crashed and bent my der hanger (and broke my wrist)... so I call the nearest Intense shop to ask about a new hanger... they quote me a price and say I'll have to come pick them up. Now I don't mind driving, but 25-30 miles for a stoopid hanger was just too far and they wouldn't drop it in the mail for me... didn't even ask me if I would mind paying for shipping, it just wasn't an option apparently. For the record I bought my Intense somewhere far away... moved here with it... so this shop doesn't know me.

So I check online at CompetitiveCyclist.com because I recall they sell Intense and YES they have hangers... for $5 less than the LBS (local = 25-30 miles)... hmmmmm, I need more stuff too, so I do a bit of online shopping and drop a lot more coin than I had planned... and I can say i'm actually happy about it! I didn't have to leave work early (well not exactly sad about doing that) and didn't have to drive forever to pick up a stoopid hanger and then pick through a limited inventory of other goods and end up leaving without the other stuff I wanted (which is typical for the LBS's I go to).

The Competitive Cyclist just won a new customer.

By the way, I can't be slammed for not supporting an LBS... they supposedly have an excellent brick and mortar shop in R-kansas or someplace like that. Also, I'm not trying to be down on the LBS's where I live, but honestly they don't have $%!# in inventory... if I want something and they have to order it and still charge me 20% more after they get it a week later, why in the world would I not order it and have it shipped to my door for less???:idea:

The Competitive Cyclist and other "local shops" that have a strong online sales program are the way to go. I think there's an article on mtbr about a shop in Wisconsin having success this way too.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Slightly OT:

IMO, LBS's are overrated. Sometimes the prices are GROSSLY more than an online shop and I just can't justify, "throwing money away" in the name of "supporting the LBS." I work hard for my cash and I'm not going to spend anymore than I have to for the SAME product.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.