Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys ive had this thule hatch mount for a couple years now,

i got it off craigslist for $20 back in the day

ive used it on my previous bikes with no problems, a few times i even had two bikes on it at once,

but now i got a brand new more expensive bike and i've become sketchy about this, what are you general opinions on these bike racks held on with straps????

Photo:

** image deleted so u cant c me **

·
Registered
42 Posts
They are paint killers.
When the bike bounces up and down with bumps is makes the rubber hooks rub the paint off.
At least everyone i've had has done that.
Hitch mounts are not only easier but faster...
but with some you can't leave the hitch mount on 24/7

·
Registered
24 Posts
r-johnson88 said:
They are paint killers.
When the bike bounces up and down with bumps is makes the rubber hooks rub the paint off.
At least everyone i've had has done that.
Hitch mounts are not only easier but faster...
but with some you can't leave the hitch mount on 24/7
Judging by the looks of that QX4, it's already been put through its paces. If the paint does chip anywhere, the only place you'll be able to see it is on the sides (it looks like the top hooks are covered pretty well by that air deflector and the bottom hooks mounted well underneath any visible painted surfaces) I say go for it, if you notice any paint chips, touch them up with a black Sharpie, nobody will be able to tell unless they put their nose in it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol im not worried about the QX4, im worried about my new bike!!! The QX4 has already been through hell (Baja) and its still running great, I love that SUV. Plus that hole you see in the left side of the rear bumper (from a tango with a UPS truck) i use it to lock my bike frame to the truck for short periods of time.

R-Johnson mentioned that this rack will chip paint on the bike (which is true - it scuffed my previous Kona Coiler)

My new question - dont hitch mounted racks scuff bike paint too???

·
Registered
24 Posts
I see. I thought he was talking about the rubber coated metal hooks that clamp the rack onto the vehicle. I have never had a problem with the rubber straps rubbing the paint off of my bike, though I haven't owned the rack long enough to truly give an opinion there. As for the hitch racks, you can find plenty that don't even touch the frame at all. Here's a link to three from three different rack manufacturers:

Yakima Hold Up:
http://www.yakima.com/racks/bike-racks/product/8002419/holdup-2.aspx

Thule T2:
http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=916

And though I don't own any hitch mounted racks, this one looks pretty interesting as well as being the cheapest (you can get the 3 bike model for about $70 cheaper than the 2 bike models of the Yakima and Thule)
Saris Thelma 2 Bike:
http://www.saris.com/p-298-thelma-2-bike.aspx

·
Registered
42 Posts
achemers said:
Judging by the looks of that QX4, it's already been put through its paces. If the paint does chip anywhere, the only place you'll be able to see it is on the sides (it looks like the top hooks are covered pretty well by that air deflector and the bottom hooks mounted well underneath any visible painted surfaces) I say go for it, if you notice any paint chips, touch them up with a black Sharpie, nobody will be able to tell unless they put their nose in it. :thumbsup:
This is all matter of opinion, but i still have to beg to differ.
Because chipping the paint for me, is more of a matter of people seeing it..
Painting chipping or being rubbed off is how you get rust spots, and rusts is metal's cancer and I plan to keep the same vehicle till it's paid off.
Just something to think about, sharpie won't stop moisture and rust..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.