Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm trying to decide between these two and I know each have ups and downs. I wanted to post to this forum to see what everyone has and what they prefer. I'm kinda leaning towards the thule but I still don't know what do you guys all think? One thing I worry about is stealing the rack when I'm on a ride and also the moving when I'm driving. Let me know please. Thanks enjoy your day.
If you're going to eventually get a 4-bike setup, I'd go with the Thule simply because you can lower the rack by yourself with the release lever being on the end. With the Kuat, you need another person to release the lever while you lower the rack. IMO, that's just a pain. But if you're only going to have a 2-bike rack, then I think they're both equal.

Regarding someone stealing your rack, you've probably heard this already, but at the end of the day, if someone really wants your rack and has the tools, it doesn't matter which rack you have... it will get stolen. Just do what you can to try to deter potential thieves. I was in the same boat as you originally (deciding between the Kuat and Thule), but I ended up getting a 1up. My rack came with a hitch lock, like the Kuat does, but I also got a Kryptonite chain lock as a secondary security measure and I loop it through the hitch and rack. Is this foolproof? No. Will it make a potential thief think twice about going through the trouble of breaking two locks to steal my rack? Probably.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I have the Thule Pro XT 2 bike rack and the Saris Superclamp EX-2.
The Thule is on a 1.25" and the Saris on a 2".

The Thule has quite a bit of up and down movement at the hitch and I have noticed the "safety pin" can back out of the hole, so I duct taped it into position. I'm not too worried about theft, but I'm concerned that many miles of driving on rough roads could back it off without the pin engaged.

I have come to prefer the Saris.
It is securely locked to the hitch, so there's no chance of the pin not being engaged.
It also is very streamlined so that with no bike on the hitch you can see the license plate, and the hatch on my Outback clears it without having to lower it.

It's very light, off the car, and it sits upright with no tendency to fall over. There is no up/down or side-side movement at the hitch. There is some movement at other points, but tightening down bolts has just about eliminated that. It fits 1.25" or 2" hitches.

The bike attachment is very secure. It's cheaper. It has a 60 pound per bike limit which puts it well short of the tongue limit on the car, just in case I ever get ebikes. I no longer have to slow down over speed bumps! Also because of the curve on the bar, it has a better departure angle than the Thule.

I don't think the Saris can be extended to 4 bikes, so that could be a deal breaker for some.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I see this same error referenced a lot on this site. The maximum tongue weight rating for a hitch is at the ball on the insert, typically a few inches off the bumper. Throwing on a 4 bike rack with four 30 pound bikes creates a massive lever arm force, especially over bumps. Most class II (1-1/4") hitches limit the tongue weight to 300 pounds and class III (2") hitches to 500 pounds. So four bikes totaling 120 pounds and a 100 pound rack may appear to be with in the 300 pound weight limit. However, with the center of gravity two feet out back will be an issue on a class II.

I already know the responses will be how some do it all of the time and have never had an issue. Do you really want to use that argument?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The tongue limit on the Subaru is 350 pounds. The CG of the Saris is less than 16" back from where the ball would be. It's a 2 bike rack. I'm sure it's okay. Even a 4 bike rack would be fine. Besides, tongue weight is a steering issue, not a structural limit and you'll likely be able to notice that immediately.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How important is it to have the wheel-holding arm less than 1" from the fork, per Thule's user manual graphic instructions? I've been using my T2 Pro XTR for about 8 months now, mostly with my fenderless 26x4.8 fat bike. I once transported my 29x2.1" Surly Ogre with Planet Bike Cascadia ALX fenders, and I was comfortable with how the arm/hook fit near the top of the front wheel, just in front of the fender (that just comes to the top of the wheel, as some of you may know) during two 90 minute drives. When installing the bike, I could not pull the arm/hook back over the front of the wheel once ratcheted snug against the tire. It seemed perfectly stable.

Do any of you have experience with this? Sure, I can simply remove the fender from the 3 fastening points, but I'm not convinced that it would help the bike ride better and keep it more safely attached to the rack, plus reinstalling the fender is a bit tedious. I would be most grateful for any insight you would be willing to share, please.

·
Registered
68 Posts
How important is it to have the wheel-holding arm less than 1" from the fork, per Thule's user manual graphic instructions? I've been using my T2 Pro XTR for about 8 months now, mostly with my fenderless 26x4.8 fat bike. I once transported my 29x2.1" Surly Ogre with Planet Bike Cascadia ALX fenders, and I was comfortable with how the arm/hook fit near the top of the front wheel, just in front of the fender (that just comes to the top of the wheel, as some of you may know) during two 90 minute drives. When installing the bike, I could not pull the arm/hook back over the front of the wheel once ratcheted snug against the tire. It seemed perfectly stable.

Do any of you have experience with this? Sure, I can simply remove the fender from the 3 fastening points, but I'm not convinced that it would help the bike ride better and keep it more safely attached to the rack, plus reinstalling the fender is a bit tedious. I would be most grateful for any insight you would be willing to share, please.
It doesn't matter if it is Thule or any of the other over the tire J hook style carriers, the closer to the fork crown the better. Placing the hook further away means your eventually going to have an issue. I have seen bikes come off due to mounting in this way dozens of times and on all the brands, I personally would not risk it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I’m looking at picking up a Thule T2 Pro XT and am looking for feedback from current owners. Have you been happy with the rack? Any issues with the design, function, or durability? One thing I’ve seen in a couple personal reviews is that the rack sits crooked in the hitch. Most reviews don’t mention this, so I’m wondering if this is a rare problem, or perhaps due to user error.

I prefer the design of the Thule, but would also consider the Kuat NV 2.0 if there’s a good reason for it. I know there are a ton of people who love the One Up rack, but it’s just not for me.

Be careful when locking the front tire spar down. The ratchet system is plastic. I used to crank mine down to ensure the front tire was in there solid. It only took about 8 months to break. The teeth wore out and the plastic split open. I think you don't need to crank it much to hold it tight. Just something to be aware of (I cranked it because once we had a spar come loose in the front on the thule classic)..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Be careful when locking the front tire spar down. The ratchet system is plastic. I used to crank mine down to ensure the front tire was in there solid. It only took about 8 months to break. The teeth wore out and the plastic split open. I think you don't need to crank it much to hold it tight. Just something to be aware of (I cranked it because once we had a spar come loose in the front on the thule classic)..
Got a spare U lock sitting around? (a thick chain/lock works too)
... I've got 3 or 4 of them and several thick Kryptonite cables too.

as a bonus, mounting on the pin side it also holds the safety pin in the hole.
You can put one on each side if you're really concerned.

I usually stow my Thule hidden under the BakFlip hard tonneau cover,
where I have a BedRug liner, locked tailgate and alarm armed when not in use.

I used to just haul my Fatty's hanging over the tailgate with a padded blanket for short trips,
but needed a solution for Wifey's Volvo XC60 when we take longer road trips to the mountains.

Picked up the Thule T2 XTB Pro on sale and just need to mount a 2" receiver on the Volvo next.

Nice. Just a note on my setup. I got a 2" hitch extender and had a welder put on a metal plate for me to attach the thule too. It worked great for a single bike and kept it close to my bumper...and it takes a lockable pin...so no worries about getting it stolen. In total I paid around 135.00 for the single rack. Again, it is just a single but mostly that's what I use when riding. If I have friends coming I can add another extension / more racks in the future....

·
Registered
2 Posts
It doesn't matter if it is Thule or any of the other over the tire J hook style carriers, the closer to the fork crown the better. Placing the hook further away means your eventually going to have an issue. I have seen bikes come off due to mounting in this way dozens of times and on all the brands, I personally would not risk it.
Thanks! It sounds like the fender removal hassle is going to be worth my piece of mind.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts