Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sidearm and while on the freeway the other day, the arm assembly was lifting up (as in rotating back to the resting position) from the set position making the front tire 'float' in the tray. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I know the easiest solution would be to strap the tire down, but just seeing what else people have done. I did contact Thule, all they recommended was to lock the arm down (duh, it was locked). thanks.

·
Registered
411 Posts
arm position

if the arm is locked down on the tire but does not rest against the fork, the wheel can rotate backwards and "climb up" to cause this problem.

Make sure that the arm is resting against the fork after it is locked down, this usualy requires that the initial conctact point before locking it down is approx. 1" away from your fork on an MTB and 0.5" on a road bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Saar G7 said:
if the arm is locked down on the tire but does not rest against the fork, the wheel can rotate backwards and "climb up" to cause this problem.

Make sure that the arm is resting against the fork after it is locked down, this usualy requires that the initial conctact point before locking it down is approx. 1" away from your fork on an MTB and 0.5" on a road bike.
Exactly the point. I've got a sidearm, and first time I got my bike on it I didn't rest it against the fork. The top of the arm was just touching the wheel, but not the fork and it gave me the same floating experience as you are talking about. So now I make sure the arm goes all the way to touch the fork and while clamping it on the wheel i shift my bike side to side to find the tightest position right in the middle of the arm. Never had an issue since.

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
Saar G7 said:

what if you have V brakes or a road bike? do you squish the arm against the brakes? the instructions say 1" in front of the fork, not touching.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.