Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
53 Posts
daleksic said:
Has anyone tried these:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/SE611B00-Cane+Creek+3G+Thudbuster+Seatpost.aspx

or i might be leaning towards the shorter one

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/SE611B01-Cane+Creek+St+Thudbuster+Seatpost.aspx

I don't want a full suspension bike I just want a little cush for my tush.... (did that sound gay?) That is why i'm leaning towards the 1.3" vs the 3" travel. Are they worth it or is it a waste of money?

Thanks...
Yeah that sounded really gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.:D

·
Registered
783 Posts
I would go for the long travel. You don't get 3" worth of travel out of it anyways and here's why... It does exactly what you say, takes the edge off the bumps an inch or so. For the truly huge stuff that would soak up three inches you get up out of the seat anyways, which is proper technique even if you're riding full suspension.

The short travel 1.3" would have to be set much softer to get the same amount of plush, you'd be using all the travel and then you'd have to deal with constant pedal bobbing. It's also not as adjustable... only one rubber which you swap out. The LT has two rubber bits which you can mix-n-match PLUS has a screw type preload which I use to keep pedal bob from happening. With the ST you're at the mercy of the rubber hardness.

·
Registered
371 Posts
+1

I've used a LT on my hardtail for many years, and it does take the edge off. But it is definitely not a replacement for full suspension.

Haven't used the short travel version, but after using the LT, I have no idea how it would do much for all the reasons Deme stated. My LT is set up way stiffer than recommended to reduce bobbing.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
It feels a little weird to have your saddle arcing back, as the post moves through its travel. With a full suspension bike, the saddle does not change position relative the the BB.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
After a couple of rides and some elastomer / preload setup, the thuddy will "disappear" and you won't even think about it any more, everything will just feel smoother over the little bumps and ripples.

What you will notice however, is if you remove it and ride without it...you will suddenly find out how well it works at taking all those little bumps out of the trails for you.

Definitely a good investment, and if you get the thin one, [27.2] you can use shims to set it up on any size seatpost tube on any bike.

A LOT of HT riders use thuddy's, including me, and they are a proven product that last a long time. Their action is 'natural' in that it is directly opposite the rear wheel travel when it hits a bump...so it tends to cancel out most of the input.

As far as bobbing when you pedal fast goes...a little preload goes a long way in stopping this.

I use double blue elastomers on my LT thuddy, and cover the elastomers with a short length of old innertube to "hide" the blue elastomers.

It also helps to keep mud off them... :D

R.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
You'll get some highly differing opinions on these most of the time. Many use them with good success, and others hate them. I think you really have to learn how to ride with one. As rainman points out, proper setup is important too, because if you just put the elastomers in and go ride the thing, it can be a freakin' catapult. Proper setup and learning how to use the thing is important. I guess because I've basically ridden long travel trail bikes for most of my riding experience, I don't like them. But I think hardtail afficiandos who set them up properly and use them appropriately get a lot out of them. One thing I know for sure is that they are not a sit-down-and-ride device if that's what one has in mind.

·
Registered
783 Posts
rkj__ said:
It feels a little weird to have your saddle arcing back, as the post moves through its travel. With a full suspension bike, the saddle does not change position relative the the BB.
Errr... neither does the Thud, which is the point of the arcing design. A bump on a hardtail causes the rear to go up and forwards, due to the rotation about the front axle. The Thud goes down and back, counteracting this perfectly. It's not full suspension, but it's pretty damn close.

As for bobbing, I've gotten mine set up just right so that if I'm spinning fast in too low a gear it starts to bob as a reminder to shift. Keeps you out of the granny! :)

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats what i was hoping for. If I wanted a Full Suspension Bike i'd get one. I like the feel of the HT and like said before I just needed the "edge" taken off. I'm ordering one today.

Thank.....

·
Registered
314 Posts
I use an LT on my road bike, it really works and makes 100-200km all day rides much more pleasant on my back and rear. Set-up is key, I weigh 175lbs and ride with a combo of one blue and one black elastomer with plenty of preload and I have had no bob issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.