Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the back ground:
1. Not a rich man, if I was it would be a brand new FS. But I love my wife and she would beat me with it.
2. Riding a Kona Primo that I absolutely love and ride every chance I get. It was 9 degrees yesterday and I was on the trail for an hour.
3. Though my lovely ride is my second (maybe??) love, sometimes one would like a little more cushion for the pushin.

I was looking at the Thudbuster as an option. Does anyone have experience with it? Which model? I am 250.

-Drew

·
what...?
695 Posts
I put one on my HT last year, and afterwards, wished I had done it 10 years ago. Maybe I would never had bought a full squishy...
just make sure you buy the velco cover too.

yeah, it's really weird looking but worth it IMHO.

·
Girt by sea.
463 Posts
Been running one for nearly 2 years. I love it - enough that I've just bought another hardtail frame instead of taking the FS option.

It is not the same as real suspension, so don't fool yourself into thinking the will let you do all that a FS bike could handle. However, it will allow you to keep the responsiveness of the hardtail frame whilst removing the bone-jarring hits you take on the trail. It does allow you to keep the rear wheel planted a little better whilst seated on those climbs too.

I suggest you give it a go. If it doesn't work out, sell it on ebay and you'll only be a few dollars poorer for the experience.

Cheers,
Graeme

(PS - when I commute, I replace the seat post with a normal one. A complete "lockout conversion" takes seconds.)

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I have one on my Surly Pugsley, and like it a lot. It helps with comfort but also to even out my weight on the saddle over bumps which helps maintain a constant weight on the rear tire's contact patch, and thus better traction on snow. I otherwise only run full suspension bikes, and while it is not the same as suspension (as has been mentioned), it sure takes the edge off of what the hardtail is trying to feed you through the frame. Get one.

·
what...?
695 Posts
BraveHeart said:
Takes the sting out of seated hits, so you don't have to stand through the small stuff. I still stand(float) over the bigger hits though as it does kick back since there is no damping.
Don't you have a rear shock to service on your full suspension bike???

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
dwtlax said:
So the back ground:
1. Not a rich man, if I was it would be a brand new FS. But I love my wife and she would beat me with it.
2. Riding a Kona Primo that I absolutely love and ride every chance I get. It was 9 degrees yesterday and I was on the trail for an hour.
3. Though my lovely ride is my second (maybe??) love, sometimes one would like a little more cushion for the pushin.

I was looking at the Thudbuster as an option. Does anyone have experience with it? Which model? I am 250.

-Drew
I rode one for several years on an XC Gary Fisher Tassajara, and when I first got it I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Until I rode a friends Trek Fuel... But I later came to the light, and I am now riding a 7x6 inch travel 39 Ib Kona Coiler and would NEVER go back my XC bike days! The Thud Buster will make seated climbs and flats more comfortable, and thats about it. If you do your downhills in the saddle, ok...it will help you out there, but that is REALLY REALLY bad technique. You should have your seat dropped, crouched, and weight centered over your bike... Sooo, if you are looking for comfort on the DHs "a TB will provide NO benift", you best look into a FS bike. A TB will help you out on the flats and climbs however. Considering your budget, I think one would help you out, but it aint gonna be a FS bike though... You are still going to be rattled appart on the DHs...

·
Viva Las Peli Taco
251 Posts
Good product

I've had mine for about 3 years. I bought it because I have a bad neck, and even on my road conditioning rides the cracks in the pavement would take their toll. Bought the 'TB' and had an imediate improvement. I also was able to stay in the saddle significantly more when xc / trail riding.

I've since bought a 'FS' and have to admit the TB is not in the same legue, but:
1) it's relatively cheap
2) does provide a good measure of comfort for everything from the waist up
3) been wondering how it would do on my FS...? I imagine it would be quite cushy

For xc and trail riding I would highly recommend it.

·
bump and grind
707 Posts
The thudbuster is the best upgrade for a hardtail, IMHO. I've had mine for three years and its allowed me to stay in the saddle longer and more consistently over rough climbs. Smooths out the bumps, but will not change your bike into a full suspension.

Just check canecreek if they can ship you the elastomers for your weight.

·
Registered
389 Posts
TB over White Bros.

After trying out my buddy's WB air post on my girlfriend's ht, I had almost dismissed the suspension seatposts. That was until I found a TB from someone who had upgraded to an all mtn. bike. I can say that we both like the feel of the TB much more. Because bumps make the seat drop back a little it feels much more like the rear is suspended vs. the bob of a straight up and down air post.
Riding a ht in rocky and bumpy AZ is asking for punishment....my girlfriend has stopped complainy about the sore rear end.

On another note, if you like to drop your post for downhills, etc., you are limited.

·
Registered
212 Posts
How much height do you loose when you sit on the seat? Can you eliminate that sag by tightening the bolt through the elastomers until it compresses the elastomers the same as your body does when just sitting still?
Thanks!

·
Ask me how...
52 Posts
I've been using the TBs on my hardtails since '01 and for my style of riding i don't feel the need for FS...If you have the proper combo of elastomers for your weight, you shouldn't loose any noticable height off the saddle <0.25" in my case.. just be careful w/ the rebound..

Get one, you'll never look back.
Cheers,
Q

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.