Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got word that thudbuster did a recall. when i tried to pull out the seat post to check the serial# - the top part turns and the post stays put.before this ive never had an issue and havent changed the height in a few months. i dropped several drops of liquid wrench around the tube this evening and will work on it tomorrow- any advice on how to pull it out would be appreciated?
i ride a kelly roshambo which is ox steel.thanks
jim
 
Joined
·
3,617 Posts
bummer

you can turn the bike upside down, and fill the frame/seatpost with something like liquid wrench, or i've used antifreeze in the past too. use the braze-on watter bottle bolt holes to do this. then just let the bike sit for awhile. this kind of stuff starts getting to the point where you're seriuosly thinking about taking the whole bike apart. (sigh)

other methods I've used:

drill a hole thru the seatpost and insert a LARGE steel rod. use as a lever and try to break loose the seatpost.

VERY LARGE pipe wrench and try to break the seatpost loose that way. at this point the seatpost typically starts to want to break down. like crush, etc.

cut the crown of the seatpost off.
then sit down (for like HOURS) with a hack saw blade and repeat scribbing a line in the inner seatpost wall until you get thru. then...try the giant pipe wrench to crush down the seatpost, in an attempt to collapse the seatpost, then remove.

I've destroyed 1 steel concord road frame with syncros seatpost getting stuck. It seriously sucks! i was way bummed out.
however, I've also saved a few frames with the "upside down frame full of antifreeze trick". just let it sit for as long as it takes.

maybe there is a way to send the frame out to have the seatpost machined out.

good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
PB Blaster

Keyaroxy said:
i got word that thudbuster did a recall. when i tried to pull out the seat post to check the serial# - the top part turns and the post stays put.before this ive never had an issue and havent changed the height in a few months. i dropped several drops of liquid wrench around the tube this evening and will work on it tomorrow- any advice on how to pull it out would be appreciated?
i ride a kelly roshambo which is ox steel.thanks
jim
This is what we use at the shop.
http://www.pbblaster.com/store/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
SelfPropelledDevo said:
you can turn the bike upside down, and fill the frame/seatpost with something like liquid wrench, or i've used antifreeze in the past too. use the braze-on watter bottle bolt holes to do this. then just let the bike sit for awhile.
good luck.
i used this on a vintage bianchi that had been sitting in a garage unmolested for 20 years. it took me about 3 days to get the fork out, but it happened. lube it, wait, wiggle it as much as you can then repeat. best of luck and please don't break that beautiful bike.
 

·
HIKE!
Joined
·
1,657 Posts
Full Strength Ammonia....

flip the bike over and fill the seat tube up to the bottle boss hole with Full Strength Ammonia, like you get at a hardware store for Janitorial Duty. Do this in a well ventilated area, wear eye and skin protection. You want to keep the seatpost walls immersed in it overnight. Loosen the seat collar and apply from the top as well. Keep at it. Ride the bike with the seat collar loose, and keep applying ammonia until it pops loose. Works every time. Hacksaws, pipewrenches and drilling are a way to wreck a frame. It didn't seize in place in a day, it might not break free in a day either. The ammonia dissolves the bond of corrosion betwixt the metals, similar or dissimilar! Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
where did you find the recall notice?

Where did you see the recall notice? I looked around the Cane Creek site and couldn't find anything.
On busting loose the seatpost, gently warming the post itself might free it up. I had to use that technique on a broken american classic ti post once.
Thanks
 

·
No Justice = No Peace
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
torch it

Actually, you want to heat the steel, so a soldering torch from the outside will most definitely work. Don't go too fast, or you could risk messing up the paint. Make sure everything is super clean, so you bon't bake dirt onto your frame, and tap at the post while you heat the tube. You will feel it break loose, then stop heating, and start pulling.

You can also make some chocks for a bench vise that will hold, but not crush the post. When the post is in the vise, you have insane leverage by turning the frame. If that doesn't work, re cycle it. Steel is getting like 08 cents a pound!
 

·
Recovering couch patato
Joined
·
14,017 Posts
I have a Thomson stuck in a Surly. Stuck sucks.

Being low-tech as I am, I'd like to try the heat trick.
Would it work to pack the Thomson with plastic bags full of ice and the frame with hot water? Enough temperature difference? At least the heat will be everywhere, and the ice will suck any heat transferred from the frame to the post immediately.

Thanks for this topic!
 

·
( )
Joined
·
755 Posts
I just googled and found this:

Potential Roadkill said:
Where did you see the recall notice? I looked around the Cane Creek site and couldn't find anything.
On busting loose the seatpost, gently warming the post itself might free it up. I had to use that technique on a broken american classic ti post once.
Thanks
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml02/02208.html

It was released in June 2002.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fixed

thanks for the advice from all. the winner.....
the PB Blaster sprayed into the water bottle holes(set 15min.), a pipe wrench and a after work beer buzz that wouldnt let me give up. the thud buster post is scratched up bad from the pipe wrench. spoke to a guy at cane creek and im up for a new one at a killer deal. very cool company. they earned a customer for life. thanks again.
Jim
 
Joined
·
3,617 Posts
awesome!

im glad to hear you got that seatpost out. Im always way paranoid, and full of anxiety when it comes to that issue. obviously you are gonna clean out that seat tube. bottle brush on a drill, or something.
peace....d
 

·
My gloves stink
Joined
·
1,503 Posts
Ditto

Keyaroxy said:
spoke to a guy at cane creek and im up for a new one at a killer deal. very cool company. they earned a customer for life. thanks again.
Jim
I've also had great experience with CC's customer support. I can deal with a company that makes mistakes as long as they help make it right. CC takes good care of their customers.
 

·
Always Learning
Joined
·
9,608 Posts
Appendage said:
I've also had great experience with CC's customer support. I can deal with a company that makes mistakes as long as they help make it right. CC takes good care of their customers.
And Ryan McFarland, the inventor of the Thudbuster who is in charge of the sales, customer service, shipping and all matters Thud is a gem of a human being. He operates out of Rapid City, SD in the Black Hills and is just across town from Sparrow who owns and operates Acme Bicycles. If you are ever in town, drop by and shoot the breeze with either, get the inside scoop on where to ride in the area - and show them your 29"er of course. :cool:

BB

Ryan and Tim: Here's one of mine....
 

Attachments

·
Blanco
Joined
·
1,353 Posts
One more vote for Cane Creek's customer service. They sent me a top headset cup for free, and it wasn't even one of their own -- just a licensed Aheadset from Taiwan!

Service like that gets my dollars. When it died I replaced it with a real Cane Creek, and it's gone many bumpy miles so far.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top