Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't know if this has been discussed, but haven't found it...
Is there any data, or even layman's speculation, on whether through axles protect the front wheel from warping torque -- or does it actually put more stress on the wheel because the stiff fork interface necessitates that incoming torsions be absorbed more by the wheel alone?

I.e, does the flexing of 9mm QR forks absorb/dissipate some forces that otherwise bend the wheel? I'm thinking of how flexible things seem better able to absorb damaging forces: trees swaying in the wind instead, ditto earthquake-resistant buildings, vs. too much stiffness being brittle, as in dead, stiff trees snapping, stiff joints and muscles tearing... When you want to chop wood, snap a stick, or break anything, you hold it as firmly as possible to isolate and concentrate the force on object in question, right? This seems similar to a wheel held firmly by stiff axle interface...

Or does the greater horizontal twisting and vertical(?) shearing at the hub that is allowed by the old 9mm qr contribute to wheel failure?
I'm no engineer/physicist, but I assume some of you are...:confused:

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'm no engineer/physicist either...but I can tell this...I've found out that a nicely built wheel...will not be affected by such stiffness of warping torque (within limits of course)...I've found this true when hitting the front wheel hard on rocks....I've even rolled the tires until the bead (of the tire) seperate from the rim sidewall...and my rims are still true.

I don't know what sort of info you're really looking for. But I guess you won't have no problem with a nicely built wheel and a thru axle system.

BTW I ride Fox Qr15...and my wheels are Stans Flow laced to Hope Pro II's...32 holes..and I ride pretty aggressive.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Woodsy said:
I don't know if this has been discussed, but haven't found it...
Is there any data, or even layman's speculation, on whether through axles protect the front wheel from warping torque -- or does it actually put more stress on the wheel because the stiff fork interface necessitates that incoming torsions be absorbed more by the wheel alone?
I.e, does the flexing of 9mm QR forks absorb/dissipate some forces that otherwise bend the wheel?
Or does this lateral twisting and vertical(?) sheering at the hub contribute to wheel failure?
I'm no engineer/physicist, but I assume some of you are...:confused:
I do not think the axle type in itself would have any significant affect on the wheel durability.

But a through axle wheel may get ridden harder because of the type of bikes that use them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.