Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth it to go thru axle for AM type riding? My DT is configured on the lighter side w/5.1 rims & Hadley hubs. I can convert the rear hub for thru axle but is it worth the expense? How much does it weigh? The DT is already the stiffest bike I've ever ridden will the TA make it noticably stiffer for me?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I can't say if its noticeably stiffer, but its very stiff and very well built.

I run the same wheels (Hadley and 5.1 converted from thru axle to 10mm bolt on my last bike to 12mm on the DT) and can say I will never run a q/r again.

It is heavier, but I don't remember how much.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Sorry for the late reply - we have been absolutely SLAMMED trying to get V-tach frames out the door this week!

Anyway, DT thur-axle:

As you know, the Delirium T is already quite a laterally stiff frame: the thru axle just increases that to an even higher level. For day to day all mountain riding, I wouldn't say that it's necessary unless you are a heavy and / or very strong / aggressive rider. For free riding, it certain makes a lot of sense.

In terms of weight, the rear axle and beefed up dropouts add about 100 grams to the frame weight, or just under a quarter of a pound. However, you loose the weight of your quick release skewer for what that's worth.

Cheers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.